Disabling post counts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling post counts

This is something I think we should look into. I don't think post counts should determine your "reputation" or the amount of times you post on the message boards.

I think it would clean up the maturity a bit on the message boards to disable post counts as well.

Also, more people would be willing to join the forums because they wouldn't be intimidated by people with high post counts.

Everyone is on equal footing and judged based on what they say, not the # of posts next to their user name.

This is coming from the #2 poster on the forums, and if you eliminate in-game threads (cough****walter****cough) the #1 poster on the forums - if you go by post count.

Thoughts?
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Why not just delete post counts completely?

If you reset your post count I will reset mine.

Comment

I quite like them. I dont think its a big deal either way though

Comment

i dont care.
        on the soccer forum postcount is disabled.
        here it aint.
        do whatever you like to.

but would disabling the post count make it impossible for walter to see who just signs up for his contests. b/c you say at least 50 posts or stuff and w/o postcount you cant control that.

Comment

I think we should keep the rookie and all those statuses.

Comment

@a2x: You could make it to where you have to be a "Starter" or walter could make a new title for a minimum of 50 posts or so.

I just don't see the upside with post counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              @a2x: You could make it to where you have to be a "Starter" or walter could make a new title for a minimum of 50 posts or so.
              yeah that sounds good.

do it that way !

Comment

Post counts are only good for determining who has no life
                The Bears are a gud football team in first place.

Comment

Yeah I like post counts =)
                  Giants/Mets/Devils/Nets/Ohio State fan no matter what.

Comment

Post counts also show seniority and more active members tend to command some more respect. Most of us are not featured on the website (as in almost only Walt and you). While it is not for intimidation factor, it is a mark of seniority and so the new people can ask people who have been here longest and the most active if they need anything. I have gotten some PMs like that over time and I am guessing Matt, Siena and PP have gotten the same. Also, it does show who essentially leads certain fanbases on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by wraith36444 View Post
                      Post counts also show seniority and more active members tend to command some more respect. Most of us are not featured on the website (as in almost only Walt and you). While it is not for intimidation factor, it is a mark of seniority and so the new people can ask people who have been here longest and the most active if they need anything. I have gotten some PMs like that over time and I am guessing Matt, Siena and PP have gotten the same. Also, it does show who essentially leads certain fanbases on this site.
                      Yeah but this plays into the whole 'post count = reputation' aspect that Matt is saying we should avoid and I agree with that. Without saying any names, there are certainly a few top 20 posters that I don't think contribute very much to the forums and thus shouldn't hold some implied reputation. I think the moderators who are handpicked to hold down the fort can play the role of helping new members like you described.

Comment

I just think post counts affects not only immature posting but also perceived reputation.

Bottom line is if you post here a lot and people like what you have to say, you will get respect and you will get respect for the right reasons, not how many posts you have.

Comment

Originally posted by ckane138 View Post
                          Yeah but this plays into the whole 'post count = reputation' aspect that Matt is saying we should avoid and I agree with that. Without saying any names, there are certainly a few top 20 posters that I don't think contribute very much to the forums and thus shouldn't hold some implied reputation. I think the moderators who are handpicked to hold down the fort can play the role of helping new members like you described.
                          Read: Wraith you are useless here.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            I just think post counts affects not only immature posting but also perceived reputation.

Bottom line is if you post here a lot and people like what you have to say, you will get respect and you will get respect for the right reasons, not how many posts you have.
                            Perhaps, but then again I am not a mod and I have gotten those emails. And I have no idea who is even a mod anymore (Siena, IR and NNC and the only three I know for sure).

Comment

Originally posted by wraith36444 View Post
                              Read: Wraith you are useless here.
                              Haha, I wasn't implying that at all and I actually thought you were a mod for some reason. What I mean is that in those cases it's great that people went to you but if they were going straight off post count they could have just as easily been going to waffles/rhyme when they were here or someone else that isn't really a good representative of the forums.

Though I would like to point out that VBSiena's 10000th post contest was a brilliant idea .

Comment

Working...
                              X