Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Mock Draft

2009 Mock Draft Round 1 Version 2.0

#1) Atlanta Falcons (2008 First Round Pick: QB Matt Ryan): Offensive Tackle, Michael Oher, Mississippi
    Atlanta chose both a Franchise Quarterback and a Left Tackle last year in the First Round. Turns out Sam Baker was better off at Left Guard and the Falcons take the best Left Tackle prospect since Orlando Pace to anchor their Offensive Line and protect Matt Ryan's blind side.

#2) San Francisco 49ers (2008 First Round Pick: DT Kentwan Balmer): Quarterback, Cullen Harper, Clemson
    Alex Smith is a bust with a capital B. I have heard a lot of talk about the Niners skipping a quarterback in Round 1 to take Hunter Cantwell out of Louisville in Round 2. Well Cantwell is being projected by potential, not production and I think he is a third round prospect until he produces for at least a season. Until then Harper is the pick.

#3) Miami Dolphins (2008 First Round Pick: OT Jake Long Michigan): Wide Receiver, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
    Who does Miami have at receiver? Try Ted Ginn JR, Greg Camarillo, Derek Hagan, Ernest Wilford, and David Kircus. Leading Receiver, Wilford with 45 Receptions and 518 Yards. Dan Marino wouldn't succeed with that lousy group. How do you remedy this problem? You take a tall, explosive receiver with good hands. Virginia Tech's Michael Crabtree very well could be the best Wide Receiver Prospect since Braylen Edwards and could cure the Dolphins Receiver woes.

#4) Kansas City Chiefs (2008 First Round pick: DT Glenn Dorsey): Middle Linebacker, James Laurinaitis, Ohio State
    The Kansas City Chiefs have begun the process of creating a Defense reminiscent of the old Tampa Bay Defense of the late 1990's and early 2000's and should continue building on a very good 2008 Defensive Draft. Road Warrior James can do it all on a football field, including cover receivers, and is a locker room leader to add to a great young defensive nucleus that includes DT Glenn Dorsey, DE Tamba Hali, OLB Derrick Johnson, and CB Will Pool.

#5) Chicago Bears (2008 First Round Pick: OT Chris Williams): Quarterback, Tim Tebow, Florida
    Chicago helped themselves in the 2008 NFL Draft at Wide Receiver, Offensive Tackle, Running Back, and potentially Strong Safety. However for a team that used three starting Quarterbacks they had twelve draft picks in 08 and neglected to draft a single Quarterback. If they draft this high in 2009 they will have no choice but to draft a quarterback here. Tim Tebow has an extremely strong arm and can make plays when the Bears old and arthritic Offensive Line breaks down. He may learn as a backup for a year or so.
    Previous Choice: Quarterback, Matt Stafford, Georgia

#6) Arizona Cardinals (2008 First Round Pick: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie): Running Back, Chris Wells, Ohio State
    Edgerin James has a lot of miles on his body and no replacement is behind him. Chris Wells is a special Talent who can run over, around, or through any type defender. He breaks all arm tackles and keeps his feet moving. Wells is quite possibly the most talented player in this draft.

#7) Cincinnati Bengals (2008 First Round Pick: MLB Keith Rivers): Running Back, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
    Rudy Johnson's body has been worn down with all the carries and his running style. With Johnson being a shell of his former self what do the Bengals do? They take another power back. Moreno is a very good runner who fits into coach Marvin Lewis' offensive scheme. If Moreno can't run over someone, he sure as heck gives them a bruise trying. For a power back Moreno is very good at catching the ball out of the backfield due to his smaller size and speed.

#8) Baltimore Ravens (2008 First Round Pick: QB Joe Flacco): Cornerback, Malcolm Jenkens, Ohio State
    Baltimore needs a lockdown Corner to add to an aging defensive core. Jenkins may have a shot to be the number two Corner in 2009 and the number one Corner in 2010 for the Ravens. This will also help to continue the youth movement on a rapidly aging defense.

#9) Oakland Raiders (2008 First Round Pick: RB Darren McFadden): Defensive End, Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech
    Johnson is the best Defensive End in this draft. Al Davis, AKA Darth Raider, has spared no expense to make his Defense good. He needs to continue building on that premise. Fortunately the fact Johnson is flashy and fast so the pick is in the bag

#10) Detroit Lions (2008 First Round Pick: OT Golder Charilus): Middle Linebacker, Rey Maualuga, USC
    This is pick is a long time coming. I'm looking at the Detroit Lions roster and don't see a starting Middle Linebacker. Will they try to plug Cliff Avril in there? Detroit needs a young, pure, energized, Middle Linebacker. Avril is not a real Middle Linebacker while Ray Maualuga is a frightening athlete in the middle and would be a great addition while moving Avril back outside.

#11) Tennessee Titans (2008 First Round Pick: RB Chris Johnson): Wide Receiver, Percy Harvin, Florida
    Tennessee has screwed up two drafts by not getting Quarterback Vince Young weapons that can make a difference in the game. This time they actually get it right. Harvin is a stretch at #11 but he makes good cuts after the catch, has great field vision, speed, good hands, and good agility.

#12) St. Louis Rams (2008 First Round Pick: DE Chris Long): Offensive Tackle, Andre Smith, Alabama
    A massive offensive tackle to guard Mark Bulger if Orlando Pace gets injured again. This will also give St. Louis a Massive successor to Pace when he retires. Andre Smith is a Left Tackle with great athleticism who can protect Bulger's blind side.

#13) Washington Redskins: (2008 First Round Pick: None): Defensive End, Tyson Jackson, LSU
    Washington has a few holes on defense and one big one is Defensive End. Jackson would easily give Washington a strong presence and help a young core of good Defensive Backs.

#14) New York Jets (2008 First Round Pick: Vernon Gholeston): Running Back, LeSean McCoy, Pittsburgh
    Thomas Jones is turning 31 soon and the Jets don’t have a replacement set. McCoy is explosive, has a third gear, makes good cuts, and catches the ball well.

#15) Minnesota Vikings (2008 First Round Pick: None): Tight End, Brandon Pettigrew, Oregon State
    Minnesota needs a Nose Tackle and a Tight End and in light of this situation Minnesota has Tarvarious Jackson and Drafted John David Booty. Jackson has poor pocket awareness and Booty has small hands. Without someone to dump off to it will lead to interceptions and fumbles. Pettigrew was given a slap on the wrist for beating up a police officer so I decided to put him back into the First Round. He is the most talented receiving Tight End in this draft and could instantly upgrade the Minnesota Offense.
    Previous Choice: Offensive Tackle, Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma

#16) Denver Broncos (2008 First Round Pick: OT Ryan Clady): Strong Safety, Taylor Mays, USC
    Tough call here. A big time Strong Safety in Taylor Mays, or a guy to help create turnovers and be a presence in the run defense. Mays has great instincts, and is a hard hitter. This gives Denver the perfect replacement for John Lynch.

#17) Buffalo Bills (2008 First Round Pick: CB Leodis McKelvin): Outside Linebacker/Defensive End, George Selvie, South Florida
    Buffalo needs a pure pass rusher. In Selvie they get a pure pass rusher that can rush with a hand down or stand up and play Outside Linebacker. The Bills secondary is very talented and young, Selvie would help them immensely.

#18) Houston Texans (2008 First Round Pick: OT Duane Brown): Cornerback, Vontae Davis, Illinois
    The Texans could use another pass rusher to take pressure off Right End Mario Williams. Instead they get help at Corner for Donta Robinson. This would make the Texans Pass Defense almost scary, ALMOST.

#19) New Orleans Saints (2008 First Round Pick: DT Sedrick Ellis): Free Safety/Strong Safety, Myron Rolle, Florida State
    Rolle is a duel Safety with great ball skills, good in coverage, and decent close to the line of scrimmage. He does everything well and would be a great upgrade to the New Orleans Secondary.

#20) Philadelphia Eagles (2008 First Round Pick: None): Wide Receiver, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Wisconsin.
    Donavin McNabb is always whining about never having a big receiver with a big name to throw to. The only problem is that he can't get along with any of the big named receivers he wants. Well Bey doesn't have a big name but he is a big receiver, very good hands, and potential to make McNabb stop whining about this subject at least.

#21) Pittsburgh Steelers (2008 First Round Pick: RB Rashard Mendenhall): Offensive Guard, Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
    The biggest need in Pittsburgh is Offensive Guard and Duke Robinson has STAR written all over him. The Steelers lost Alen Faneca leaving their Offensive Line as average at best. That won’t do with injury prone Running Back Willie Parker, The One Billion Dollar Man Quarterback Ben Roethlesberger. The team just can't pass up on Robinson who is one of the best Guards to come into the NFL in years.

#22) Philadelphia Eagles F/CAR (2008 First Round Pick: None): Offensive Tackle, Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
    I know Phili took three Offensive Tackles in 2008 but I don’t see any of them making a difference any time soon. Black is a very good pass blocker to protect whiney McNabb and Loadholt is a steal at #22.

#23) Dallas Cowboys (2008 First Round Pick: RB Felix Jones): Wide Receiver, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
    Terry Glenn is on the verge of retirement with a bum knee and Terrell Owens is now in his mid 30's. Maclin has height, great speed, good hands, and is a threat as a Return Man. He would be able to develop more as the #4 Receiver or #3 if Glenn retires, maybe even jump Patrick Crayton at the #2 spot before moving up again when TO retires.

#24) Jacksonville Jaguars (2008 First Round Pick: DE Derrick Harvey): Defensive Tackle, Fili Moala, USC
    Jacksonville's Run Defense suffered without Marcus Stroud helping man the middle. The team was still good enough to win even with a worse defense but a defensive drop won’t fly in Jacksonville. Moala isn’t much of a pass rusher but he is a good run stuffer.

#25) Seattle Seahawks (2008 First Round Pick: DE Lawrence Jackson): Wide Receiver, Aaron Kelly, Clemson
    Seattle is floundering at receiver due to age and mediocrity. Bobby Engram is their #1 Receiver and 35 while Nate Burleson is a #4 receiver at best. Kelly is tall, fast, agile, has good hands, and most importantly for Seattle he is young.
    Previous Choice: Tight End, Chase Coffman, Missouri

#26) New York Giants (2008 First Round Pick: FS Kenny Philips): Defensive End, Greg Hardy, Mississippi
    Michael Strahan has retired and the Giants will take a hit in their Pass Defense if they don't replace him. The Giants will try to stuff his spot with Brian Kehl, Justin Tuck, and Mathias Kiwanuka. However moving them might just open up another hole. Greg Hardy is a very good pass rusher and can turn into a good run stuffer at the NFL level. He would be a good permanent replacement for Strahan if the other three falter.

#27) Cleveland Browns (2008 First Round Pick: None): Outside Linebacker, Brian Cushing, USC
    Willie McGinnist has said 2008 will be his last season meaning the Browns will have a hole to fill at Outside Linebacker. Brian Cushing is extremely athletic, a good pass rusher, and has a nose for the ball. Cushing will fit well in the Browns young Linebacking Core.

#28) San Diego Chargers (2008 First Round Pick: CB Antoine Cason): Offensive Tackle, Ciron Black, LSU
    Black is one of the best Offensive linemen in this draft however drops here due to the depth at the Offensive Tackle position. At least six Offensive Tackles had the ability to go in Round one and many so called experts believe Black is the third best of the group. Black will be an instant
    Previous Choice: Offensive Tackle Alex Boone, Ohio State

#29) New England Patriots (2008 First Round Pick: MLB Jerod Mayo): Strong Safety, William Moore, Missouri
    Rodney Harrison is what, sixty years old. Needless to say he will retire soon. Moore can step up in run support is good in coverage and a pretty good tackler. Moore would be a very good replace for Harrison.

#30) Green Bay Packers (2008 First Round Pick: None): Strong Safety, Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech
    Green Bay has practically zero holes in their roster and GM Ted Thompson gets to do what he loves; choose the best player available. Kam Chancellor is not only the best player left but someone who perfectly fits into the Packers' defensive plans.

#31) Indianapolis Colts (2008 First Round Pick: None): Middle Linebacker, Darry Beckwith, LSU
    Indianapolis doesn't have many holes. The Colts would be better off to get depth or an upgrade at Middle Linebacker with few other needs.

#32) Tampa Bay Buccaneers : (2008 First Round Pick: CB Aqib Talib) Wide Receiver, Brian Robiski, Ohio State
    I heard the Bucs are impressed with the progress of Luke McCown lately and I have always liked his potential since he was drafted by Cleveland. Now, liking his potential tears me between taking a Receiver here and a Quarterback. However, with McCown’s progress going very nicely I see no reason to hinder that at the moment. Brian Robiski is tall, fast, sure handed, and could compete right away for a starting spot. Robiski could have the best hands in this years draft and would fit very well into the Bucs Offense. Tough call but for now I take Robiski.
    Previous Choice: Quarterback Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Other than Tebow solid mock, but it does feel very cliche.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

How so?
      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the mock draft forum like Haefners?

Comment

I put it in the wrong one. sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
            How so?
            Very similar players in the first round. I know every mock will be somewhat similar in terms of players, but to me it jsut looks like the top 32 consensus.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
              I put it in the wrong one. sue me.
              NNC and MMento did it to me too.

Comment

Hmmm. Other than Oher and Crabtree I don't know the consensus. I don't keep much track of what experts say who goes where until a few months ahead of time. Other than using almost the consensus as you say what are the other problems?

Comment

No players jump out at me that you think are good but people don't talk a lot. I'm not saying you should do it just to do it, but you have to be honest about it and tell why you think they are so great.

I just don't see much creativity. Don't get me wrong it's a solid mock draft, I just feel like I've read it before. Same song different verse.

Comment

hmmm. I didnt watch much last year other than Ohio State and the Bowl Games so we'll have to wait until I find someone.

Comment

-Don't really see the true impact that Laurinaitis can have for Kansas City when they need a QB, More OL help, a DE. These positions are much more important that MLB.
                      -Ughhh... Tim Tebow
                      -If Cinci is selecting a RB, they want a power running back for their system. They already have a Knowshon type runner in Chris Perry and Kenny Irons
                      -Having Baltimore take a CB is a pretty bleh pick, especially when Tyson Jackson is sitting there. C'mon mix it up. Besides, Vontae Davis > Malcolm Jenkins.
                      -Really couldn't see a 1-year wonder like Michael Johnson going that high.
                      -Detroit will try to plug Jordan Dizon in there.
                      -Jets kinda already have a LeSean McCoy in Leon Washington. No using a pick that high.
                      -George Selvie doesn't make sense since he doesn't present good value as a LE.
                      -Houston doesn't need a TE with Fred Bennet, Dunta Robinson and Antwuan Molden
                      -Phil Loadholt > Ciron Black, doesn't make sense since Loadholt's stock will take a hit because of Duke Robinson
                      -Aaron Kelly would make more sense to Dallas since he gives more of an instant impact.
                      -Really? Is Brian Cushing that good of a pass-rusher?
                      -Here's a hole in GB's roster: Interior OL.
                      -Colts drafted Phillip Wheeler and I could see him in their immediate plans.
                      -Brian Robiskie does not have the best hands in the draft.

-Having Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NY, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, and the Colts in the playoffs doesn't add up. Did Pittsburgh and Cleveland go 5-1 each against the Division?

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                        Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, Kentwan Balmer, and Duane Brown (even though i thought he was a 4th round prospect) all say hello.

also, it might not be a 1 year wonder since we have next season to play.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                          -Don't really see the true impact that Laurinaitis can have for Kansas City when they need a QB, More OL help, a DE. These positions are much more important that MLB.
                          -Ughhh... Tim Tebow
                          -If Cinci is selecting a RB, they want a power running back for their system. They already have a Knowshon type runner in Chris Perry and Kenny Irons
                          -Having Baltimore take a CB is a pretty bleh pick, especially when Tyson Jackson is sitting there. C'mon mix it up. Besides, Vontae Davis > Malcolm Jenkins.
                          -Detroit will try to plug Jordan Dizon in there.
                          -Jets kinda already have a LeSean McCoy in Leon Washington. No using a pick that high.
                          -George Selvie doesn't make sense since he doesn't present good value as a LE.
                          -Houston doesn't need a TE with Fred Bennet, Dunta Robinson and Antwuan Molden
                          -Phil Loadholt > Ciron Black, doesn't make sense since Loadholt's stock will take a hit because of Duke Robinson
                          -Aaron Kelly would make more sense to Dallas since he gives more of an instant impact.
                          -Really? Is Brian Cushing that good of a pass-rusher?
                          -Here's a hole in GB's roster: Interior OL.
                          -Colts drafted Phillip Wheeler and I could see him in their immediate plans.
                          -Brian Robiskie does not have the best hands in the draft.

-Having Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NY, Philadelphia, Jacksonville, and the Colts in the playoffs doesn't add up. Did Pittsburgh and Cleveland go 5-1 each against the Division?
                          1) Nothing outside of a defensive tackle is as important in the run game than a Middle Linebacker that can step up inside and force a cut outside. Also on a young team the impact of a middle linebacker in the locker room can be huge.

2) I don't care for Tebow but the Bears' offensive line is old and they showed it at times last year. The team will need to draft a more mobile signal caller. Someone who can get out of the pocket and get the ball down the field. Otherwise I would have given them a lineman, or a more stable pocket passer.

3) No one is sure if Irons will play again and they are already calling Perry a bust with a subpar work ethic.

4) I thought Baltimore's Pass Defense was about to crack earlier last season. They need new blood at Corner and would have taken Jenkins last year. Unless Jenkins bombs I see no reason why they pass on him. I like Jenkins. He has better SKILL to combat Davis' ATHLETICISM.

5) If Michael Johnson performs better this year he will move up. Unfortunately only one year will not get him in my Top 5 like it does most peoples.

5) Who is Fred Bennet?

6) I don't see Dizon working out there. If he does great, however if not it's back to the drawing board. As you can see I have my money on the latter.

7) Point Taken

8) True. But as a combo player Selvie presents great value. If he gets stronger that value will go up.

9) I like Loadholt. In my opinion he could be an all world Right Tackle. Since he wont be going Top 10 I see no reason he can't go ahead of a guy that would be best in the Zone Blocking scheme.

10) I like Maclin for the Cowboys at the moment.

11) Cushing is fast and Athletic. He has shown a nose for getting to the ball whether it be on the pass and the run. That includes when the quarterback has the ball.

12) Interior O-Line is solid. The problem is that the O-Tackles are old. They can address that in later rounds.

13) Fair enough. Wheeler shows us something this year I will change the pick.

14) I love Robiskie. The only time he really dropped anything was Michigan and LSU. This year he moves up into the first round. He may end up with the best hands, they are already two of the best, just wait and see.

Wow Puppy. Hope that answers your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, Kentwan Balmer, and Duane Brown (even though i thought he was a 4th round prospect) all say hello.

That's the thing. Projecting what they do next year into the place they are drafted. Tough to do.

Oh and Matt. I have never heard Robiskie and Round 1 even muttered in the same breath. I have high hopes on Robiskie and believer he could emerge as a Mid-First Round Pick. Watch him. He does it then I said it first.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post

Kentwan and Duane Brown went 20+, that's what I'm talking about. DCR was just a dumb pick and he had the benefit of "OMG ANTONIO'S COUSIN!"

He'll still be a 1 year wonder since he didn't start or make that much of an impact last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X