Lions expected to at least shop R. Williams and K. Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions expected to at least shop R. Williams and K. Jones

Lions insider is reporting the the Lions are expected to at least hear offeres for both WR Roy Williams and RB Kevin Jones. Both have lost interest in playing in Detoit.

Roy Williams would prefer to be out west closer to his home state of Texas (he travels back there everytime the Lions have 2 days off. He has also been slightly annoyed at his role in Mike Martz offense as of late. Which is understandable, since no other receiver has stepped up to become th go to guy in his down time. Now a potentially, season ending injury.

Williams is an UFA after the 08 season. Chances of him resigning with Detroit is slim to none. Lions could franchise him, but they are likely to only be able to play that card once.

Kevin Jones on the other hand is just flat out disatisfied with his role in the offense. He has only hit the 20 carries in a game mark 1 this season, and despises Martz's play calling. A shame since last year Jones was the main fixture in the offense prior to his injury. He showed great versatility and the ability to be the Marshall Faulk type back. Since the injury though he has for the most part been an after thought in Mike Martz mind...

Now the interesting part. Jones also becomes an unrestricted free agent after the 08' season.

Meaning that unless the Lions can deal one, if not both players for something of value, they will only be able to apply the franchise tag to one of them. So one is going to walk no matter what.

What type of value do you put on these two players going into the offseason?

I could see someone like Roy catching a first round offer from a high seeded team like Dallas, if they make the Super Bowl they would have the last pick of the first round to go along with Cleveland's pick. Making it spareable for a large fast proven Pro Bowl receiver to sit opposite and eventually take over for T.O.

Jones i have no clue what to type of offers they may have for him...

The Johnsons in Cincy are bad enough, we don't need 2 Roy Williams on the same team.

Kevin Jones isn't the only one who hates the play calling of Martz. I can't stand that guy.

I could see Jones possibly going to Arizona? I think Williams will get the Franchise Tag.

Comment

Martz may as well target Randy Moss this offseason if he doesn't win one with the Patriots this year. I can see Moss giving NE a slight discount and that's only if they win. Martz may as well spend all their cap on receivers(85 too maybe?) if he's going to call 1-5 running plays per game.
      Lakers | Dolphins | Canes | Dodgers

Comment

please lord come to philly. plzz
        Philadelphia Eagles - One.Team.Dream.City

sigpic

Comment

Nobody seems to assume that Martz may be fired. I think it's much more likely that he gets fired than either Roy or Kevin get traded. The Lions troubles are not his fault, the defense is very thin, but they were supposed to be able to outscore opponents this year and that really has not yet happened.

The Lions don't have enough talent to let these guys get away. Look for Martz to be gone at the end of the season.

Comment

I really think Houston would consider trading their first rounder for Roy Williams since he is an established pro and I think Detroit gets equal value in that trade.

Kevin Jones has round 4 value at best.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I don't know too much about Detriot, but I thought Kevin Jones wasn't that great of a starting RB?

As for Roy he doesn't thrive in a pass happy offense under Mike Martz? I would think he likes the play calling there because he is getting the damn ball. I'm sure Keyshawn Johnson would have words with Roy over this.
              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Roy Williams to KC to be their number 1 receiver opposite of Bowe, thing is I can't think of anyone that Detroit would want from the chiefs

Comment

The Lions need offensive linemen. If they can get a couple of those Williams could be traded for a #1 Draft pick easily with his talent. Jones is nowhere near what he was before the injury and since Detroit doesn't run the ball I dont know if it is from the injury or the play calling. I wouldn't give over a fourth for him because I dont know what I would be getting.
                  If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                  Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by titan_qb_3 View Post
                    Roy Williams to KC to be their number 1 receiver opposite of Bowe, thing is I can't think of anyone that Detroit would want from the chiefs
                    Kansas City would never make that trade they have way too many needs to address to trade that first round pick and WR isn't really one of them when they can spend a 2nd/3rd on that position to get a #2 guy next to Bowe.

Comment

Originally posted by titan_qb_3 View Post
                      If KC has any good defensive secondary people or a tackle, it would fill needs. I just don't see Detroit giving up on having 2 quality WR's (Calvin Johnson the other) to throw to.

Comment

I'm not the biggest fan of Kevin Jones but I also HATE Benson so I will take him on the Bears along with my main man Roy Will and if we get a QB next year who knows the Bears might actually have an offense.. Wait we need a whole ne O-line too? hmm might be awhile
                        Check out my new site Today!
                        Live 4 The Story

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Maciasz View Post
                          I'm not the biggest fan of Kevin Jones but I also HATE Benson so I will take him on the Bears along with my main man Roy Will and if we get a QB next year who knows the Bears might actually have an offense.. Wait we need a whole ne O-line too? hmm might be awhile
                          Bears are going to be projected to finish last in the NFC North next year imo. Minnesota and Green Bay both have a lot of young talent and the Lions are going to start making things interesting especially if Marinelli can get their defense to develop like Dungy did with the Colts.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            Bears are going to be projected to finish last in the NFC North next year imo. Minnesota and Green Bay both have a lot of young talent and the Lions are going to start making things interesting especially if Marinelli can get their defense to develop like Dungy did with the Colts.
                            Lions fans are not so optimistic, especially after the Green Bay and the Vikes operated at will against them.

Comment

Originally posted by animal52 View Post
                              Lions fans are not so optimistic, especially after the Green Bay and the Vikes operated at will against them.
                              Who would have thought that by this time last season the Buccaneers would pretty much have the NFC South locked up in Week 14 in 2007?

I don't think the Lions will be better than GB or MIN next year but I am just saying I think they can compete and be one of those teams that can give teams fits...one of those 8-8 type teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X