1st round Quarterbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st round Quarterbacks

I'm copying Blazedestin's idea, but I'm doing 1st rounders instead. Also, I'm not going as far back as 1990, But I'm taking from 1995 and forward. I'm going to be as unbiased as possible, and mostly look at stats

So that no player is left out, I'm going to take qb's who also were drafted #31 and #32 overall, even if they went in the second round, as blazedestin took #33 to #64.

1995 Draft: Steve Mcnair #3 overall, Kerry Collins #5
    - I don't think I have to say much about Mcnair. A franchise qb for Titans. Had a very productive career, with 3 pro bowls, on AP selection and a co-MVP
    - Kerry Collins has had an okay career, but definitely not what you expect form a top five pick. Highest season rating is 85.4

1996 Draft: NO QB WAS DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND

1997 Draft: Jim Druckenmiller #26
    - Started one game, appeared in four. Has 1 TD to 4 interceptions. Was out of the league in 1999

1998 Draft: Peyton Manning #1, Ryan Leaf #2
    - We all know what good he has done. Moving on
    - We all know what bad he has done. Moving on

1999 Draft: Tim Couch #1, Donovan Mcnabb #2, Akili Smith #3, Daunte Culpepper #11, Cade McNown #12
    - Throwed for over 10,000 yards in his career. 64 TD's to 67 INT. Is now out of the league
    - Became a great qb for Eagles. Has an amazing INT% of 2.1!! Has thrown for almost 30,000 yards
    - Was with Bengals for four years. Only threw for 2,212 yards. Career rating of 52.8
    - Has had a really up-and-down career. Looked like a first ballot hall of famer the first 6 years, but has since 2005 declined every year.
    - Was with Chicago for only two years before getting traded. Career rating of 67.7

2000 Draft: Chad Pennington #18
    - Has had a pretty stellar career, throwing for 17,391 yards, while leading NFL's all-time career completion% with 66. Is with Miami now.

2001 Draft: Micheal Vick #1, Drew Brees #32
    - Revolutionized the QB postion, becoming the first qb to throw and run for 1000 yards during a season. Isn't a good traditional qb, has a career rating of 75.7, but what sets him apart from other starting qb's is his ability to run. Was arrested for involvement with dogfighting.
    - Has had a great career, almost breaking Marino's record of most passing yards last season. Is the third best qb IMO today, trailing only Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

2002 Draft: David Carr #1, Joey Harrington #3, Patrick Ramsey #32
    - In his rookie year, "set" the record for being sacked most times (76). Didn't get much help in Houston, but didn't contribute much either. Is now a back-up with Giants
    - Has never been able to produce, and is with his third team now (falcons).
    - Was in the wrong system in the beginning, but hasn't showed much in other systems or teams either. Has more TD's than INT's atleast(35-30).

2003 Draft: Carson Palmer #1, Byron Leftwich #7, Kyle Boller #19, Rex Grossman #22
    - Has had a really good career, but had some tough breaks with injuries.
    - Has had an average career. Not lived up to his expectations, but has atleast performed good enough to still be in the league as a back-up.
    - Kyle never became a good qb, despite Billick's all efforts.
    - Has been extremely inconsistent. Have been to the Super Bowl as a starting qb, but even when he had the NFl's best defense he wasn't good

2004 Draft: Eli Manning #1, Phillip Rivers #4, Ben Roethlisberger #11, J.P Losman #22
    - Is a soild qb, a game manager, nothing more. Can help a good team but has never played as a no.1 qb should do, except on the biggest stage against arguably the best team.
    - Is arguably the best young qb today. Really tough and is miles ahead of Eli so far.
    - Clutch is Ben's middle name, as he showed in the Super Bowl. Has had some great seasons, combined with some averaged seasons. Has already won two Superbowls.
    - No no and no. Started one full season with Buffalo, and then became a back-up next season. Is now with the AFL.

2005 Draft: Alex Smith #1, Aaron Rodgers #24, Jason Campbell #25
    - Never been close to good. One full season as the 49ers starter, in which he threw as many picks as touchdowns (16). has never thrown for more touchdowns than picks during a season.
    - Has only one season with over 30 attempts. Was great last season as a starter, throwing 28 TD's to 13 picks. Had a rating of 93.8. The jury is still out until he has played atleast 3 full seasons, but it looks promising
    - A extremely careful qb. Only has thrown 35 TD's despite staring 36 games. Has only thrown 23 Int's. There has been rumors that he's going to be traded next off-season if he's not performing better. Hasn't been as good as he was supposed to be.

2006 Draft. Vince Young #3, Matt Leinart #10, Jay Cutler #11
    - Dual-threat qb, and he showed some promise during his rookie year, winning Offensive rookie of the year, along with Pro-bowl honors and a play-off berth. Has since then declined every year, and is now a back-up for the Titans
    - Has only started 16 games combined, going 7-9 and having a career rating of 71.7. Predicted to be the next great USC qb (Carson Palmer), but has not lived up to expectations, and is now a back-up.
    - The clear-cut best qb from the first round so far. Went to the Pro-bowl last season. Is 17-20 as a starter throwing as many picks as career games started (37). Has thrown 54 TD's and has a career rating of 87.1

2007 Draft: Jamarcus Russell #1, Brady Quinn #22
    - Has not shown any good signs, going 5-11 as a starter over his career. Thrown for 3 more TD's (15) than picks (12). has shown lack of work ethic, and is now in a QB competition to win the starting job in Oakland. Can't call him a bust yet, he must atleast get three seasons before judging.
    - Has only started 3 games, going 1-2. Can't really say much about him because of his lack of experience in the NFL. Has 1-2 seasons to prove himself

2008 Draft: Matt Ryan #3, Joe Flacco #18
    - Has only played one season, but was great in that, leading Falcons to play-off. Has so far impressed everyone, we'll see if he continues that or if it was beginners luck the first year
    - Did not have quite as good year as Ryan, but was good especially considering he was a rookie. Will have to step up his game a bit till next season

29 out of 34 Quarterbacks that you can judge

Franchise: Mcnair, Manning (Peyton), Mcnabb, Brees, Palmer, Rivers, Roethlisberger

Very good: Pennington, Vick, Manning (Eli), Cutler

Average: Collins, Leftwich, Culpepper, Campbell

Bad : Carr, Grossman, Smith (alex), Young, Leinart, Couch, Ramsey, Boller

Terrible: Druckenmiller, Leaf, Mcnown, Smith (akili), Losman, Harrington

Franchise: 24%
    Very good: 13%
    Average: 14%
    Bad: 28%
    Terrible: 21%
    Last edited by guru_92; 08-19-2009, 02:57 PM.

Vampbro for eternity

Technically, Drew Brees was not a first round pick.

He was 32nd overall, but there were only 31 teams at the time. Drew Brees was the first pick of the second round.

Sorry to split hairs.
    This is my signature.

Comment

If you read his intro you'd see he said he was going to use through the first 32 picks for consistency.
      "I think Tim Tebow is a fan of anything related to getting his name out there," Florida fan Andrew Wynot, who attended his first Miracle game, told the Naples Daily News. "I don't think Tim Tebow would send destruction on us."

Comment

wow 2002 was really a terrible year for QBs in the 1st!!!
        NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

I think you need to put Eli at FRANCHISE level. He will never put up the numbers like Brees but he did win a Superbowl MVP in the face of all adversity and QB position is a LOT more than numbers.
          NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

No significant objections to the guys you classify as "Franchise" and "Very Good". But, with the guys in the bottom three categories, I think it's only reasonable to adjust for the teams they played on - especially where they got their start. Just as one example, I often wonder how Joey Harrington might have turned out had he begun his career with a better organization than the Lions (IOW, pretty much ANY of the other teams). While enduring the pressure of completely unrealisti expectations, he received no decent coaching and the Lions, of course, never really put in the effort to build a good team around him (contrast Manning and the Colts).

Not saying, by any means, that Harrington would have become a Franchise-level QB or even "Very Good", but he might at least have become a respected journeyman QB (though it's too late for even that now). I mean, he wasn't consistently "Terrible" with Miami - better than Culpepper that season - and Miami was a pretty bad team at the time, but still superior to the Lions. He was actually pretty decent leading an Atlanta team in the midst of unprecedented disruption (Vick, HC quitting in Week 13).

Anyway, just saying that a couple of these low-rated guys might be cut some slack for always being the bug and never the windshield.

Comment

Originally posted by supremeworldemperor View Post
              Technically, Drew Brees was not a first round pick.

He was 32nd overall, but there were only 31 teams at the time. Drew Brees was the first pick of the second round.

Sorry to split hairs.
              Like BMC said, I took the pics 1-32, since Blazedestin said that he counted the pics 33-64.

Originally posted by yem123 View Post
              I think you need to put Eli at FRANCHISE level. He will never put up the numbers like Brees but he did win a Superbowl MVP in the face of all adversity and QB position is a LOT more than numbers.
              I know, this was a tough decision for me, but aside from that play-off, he hasn't put up franchise numbers. Like I said I looked much at the numbers, and in the end, Eli was a very good player for me. If you look at his numbers, I could have pretty easily graded him average

Vampbro for eternity

Comment

Great read, well done.

+1 respect.

Comment

Sorry, but you fail grammar.
                  But besides that, nice write up.
                  49ers:3-4

Cal:6-3

Comment

Originally posted by mschuhe3 View Post
                    Sorry, but you fail grammar.
                    But besides that, nice write up.
                    I know, but I'm a swede, so you have to forgive me. Anything that I fail consistently on let me know and I'll try to be better in the future. If it's a spelling fail, it was me being sloppy

Vampbro for eternity

Comment

Originally posted by guru_92 View Post
                      I know, but I'm a swede, so you have to forgive me. Anything that I fail consistently on let me know and I'll try to be better in the future. If it's a spelling fail, it was me being sloppy
                      its ok, i could read it so it doesnt really matter.
                      49ers:3-4

Cal:6-3

Comment

Excellent work guru. A great read.

Comment

Nice read

Comment

Since when are these average QBs:

Ramsey, Boller, Leftwich

They are all pretty damn bad.

Comment

Originally posted by wraith36444 View Post
                              Since when are these average QBs:

Ramsey, Boller, Leftwich

They are all pretty damn bad.
                              That is a valid criticism. Those players are clearly below average. I dont think a back up deserves consideration as average.

Comment

Working...
                              X