Browns Draft Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns Draft Needs

I know I have done a lot on the Browns but I figured to do one different. Listing their needs from the order I think they are needed. I would love feedback on this.

1) Defensive line- In a previous post I said they played with the Norse Gods as a rip on their age. Now I rip on their play. I believe they have 2 good backups (Oft injured Orpheus Roye and Robaire Smith ) starting, and one who could be a starter in a different system (DT/DE Shaun Smith). However as starters they are too old or not consistent enough. They need a change here.

2) Safety- I love FS Brodney Pool and SS Sean Jones. However the Browns need a guy who can get the DB's in position and make adjustments to coverage before the snap. Neither has proven they can do that consistantly, hurting a tallented young group.

3) Right Guard- Ryan Tucker is an upgreade to Mckinney in the tallent department at right guard but he has too many mental errors. He has to be on his way set the Browns record for false starts in eight games.(Counted 8 in 3 weeks). He is a drive killer and needs replaced. The Browns need a player who has Tucker's physical skill and Mckinney's mental discipline.

4) Strong Side LLinebacker- Willie McGinnist has been solid but let's face it, he is 36 years old and not getting any younger or better and Antwan Peek is an excellent third down option but not much of a starter. The Browns need a guy who can stop the run while consistantly staying with Tight Ends and rushing the passer when needed. They dont have any one player that can do those things at this point. That hurts a great young Linebacking core.

5) Running Back- There have been quiet rumors the Browns may be willing to keep Jamal Lewis for the right price. As much as I would like to see it I dont so I would like to think they would need depth here. Jason Write has proven he can be a wonderful third down back and spot starter but in my opinion Jarome Harrison has proven little. He did well at points when Lewis was injured but I still heald my breath when he was in. I see the Browns looking for a new #3 back to follow Write and whoever they get to start next year.

I hope Matt and Walter both comment on this and let me know what they think.
    Last edited by Joey_Potter; 12-08-2007, 02:16 PM.
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

1. They definately need to upgrade their defensive line...you can find quality guys for the 3-4 however in the mid rounds (big guys that don't get pass rush but hold their ground and make plays).

2. Wide Receiver must be upgraded along side Braylon Edwards. Jurevicius will be 34 next year and must eventually be replaced. I think the Browns will address this in FA with a guy like Bryant Johnson, Bernard Berrian, DJ Hackett, etc.

3. Like you, I think the Browns need to find an OLB opposite Wimbley. There are going to be some guys that will be there for you in round 4 that could work: Titus Brown, Chris Ellis, Bruce Davis, Grayson Gunheim, Darrell Robertson among other.

4. Right guard could use an upgrade like you said.

5. I think they need to make a big upgrade at nickleback, personally.

6. With all the talent at runningback that will come out this year you could find a guy like Mike Hart, Cory Boyd, or Allen Patrick in round 4.

Jones and Pool are young, I've been really impressed with them this season and upgrades at DL will make a big difference in that D...you'll see.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I agree about all of that except Jones and Pool. I dont think Jones will be replaced but the biggest knock against both guys for the last 2 years is their inability to make adjustments to the play call before the snap. Jones has improved some but Pool has not. If QB Derek Anderson is traded for a first (15 or higher) I wouldnt be too surprised if they used it on a top wideout or FS Kenny Phillips of Miami.
      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
        I agree about all of that except Jones and Pool. I dont think Jones will be replaced but the biggest knock against both guys for the last 2 years is their inability to make adjustments to the play call before the snap. Jones has improved some but Pool has not. If QB Derek Anderson is traded for a first (15 or higher) I wouldnt be too surprised if they used it on a top wideout or FS Kenny Phillips of Miami.
        If they could get a pick that high in round 1 (which I doubt, but think to think about) then they should really look at someone like a Malcolm Kelly, or a hybrid such as Derrick Harvey or Vernon Gholston (if one of these guys committs).

But yes you can not go wrong with a player like Kenny Phillips.

Comment

Every game I have seen with Gholston he has rarely gotten his name called. Maybe I have just seen the wrong 2 or 3 games but I guess that would be just my bad fortune. What I wouldnt give for them to get DE Chris Long...but that aint happenin'. OLB Dan Conner, or OLB Road Warrior James (Laurinaitis) who will be around until pick 9 or 10. I call him Road Warrior James because the last name is too hard to spell. This is a very deep draft and the Browns could fill a few needs here. I hope they get a solid player or even an impact player in this draft since there are so many this year up through rounds 4 and even 5. I think the Browns will be in better position than many teams in the draft without a first rounder that teams in their possition in previous drafts could not because of Draft Depth and player personel (Derek Anderson). So I think there are many things they could do with this draft regardless of the pick they get. Agreed? Anyone?

Comment

So I think there are many things they could do with this draft regardless of the pick they get. Agreed? Anyone?
            Oh absolutely. The Browns have some needs (not a lot, but not just 1 or 2 either) and they have a lot of versatility in this draft imo. I'd like to see them get back in this first round by trading Anderson, but I like I said I just don't think there are many players in the NFL worth a high-mid first and third.

Comment

You're a Tampa fan. Tampa will need a good young QB for when Garcia burns down. Would you trade that 1 and 3 for Anderson in Tampa? I think this years draft is the deepest overall I have seen in years, maybe ever. Many teams can fill many needs. Cleveland may even get a couple starters out of the forth and fifth rounds. I am excited about this draft even without a first.

Comment

You're a Tampa fan. Tampa will need a good young QB for when Garcia burns down. Would you trade that 1 and 3 for Anderson in Tampa? I think this years draft is the deepest overall I have seen in years, maybe ever. Many teams can fill many needs. Cleveland may even get a couple starters out of the forth and fifth rounds. I am excited about this draft even without a first.

No I would not trade a first and third for Anderson. We have other needs on our team besides quarterback, especially on offense (center, wide receiver) and defense (defensive tackle, depth at end, and cornerback).

Luke McCown looked great last week...I'm not saying he is the answer but he did show a lot of skill.

I'd also say Garcia has one more good year at least in him before he retires.

Comment

I agree about Garcia and believe Tampa could be like the Browns and use this draft to become a team to really be feared in the league. Tampa is only a few guys on defense from being an elite defensive team again. I mean if Tampa got a Kenny Philips or Frank Okam, That may be enough to put them back into the elite, or at least boarder line that. If Cleveland got a Riht Guard or another big recieving threat. This draft will be big for teams like Tampa and Cleveland who are on the verge of being elite. The scary part...I see us agreeing more and more as time goes by. Scary.

Comment

I agree about Garcia and believe Tampa could be like the Browns and use this draft to become a team to really be feared in the league. Tampa is only a few guys on defense from being an elite defensive team again. I mean if Tampa got a Kenny Philips or Frank Okam, That may be enough to put them back into the elite, or at least boarder line that. If Cleveland got a Riht Guard or another big recieving threat. This draft will be big for teams like Tampa and Cleveland who are on the verge of being elite. The scary part...I see us agreeing more and more as time goes by. Scary.
                    Just a few notes: Okam doesn't fit the Bucs scheme, and we'd only draft Phillipis to be a corner since we are set at safety for the next 10 years with Tanard Jackson and Sabby Piscitelli.

But yes there are a lot of teams out there that are going to go to a different level with this draft (Pats to get younger, Bucs, Browns, Seahawks, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, etc.)
                    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 12-09-2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      Just a few notes: Okam doesn't fit the Bucs scheme, and we'd only draft Phillipis to be a corner since we are set at safety for the next 10 years with Tanard Jackson and Sabby Piscitelli.

But yes there are a lot of teams out there that are going to go to a different level with this draft (Pats to get younger, Bucs, Browns, Seahawks, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers, etc.)
                      Bucs are an athletic D-Tackle and a shutdown corner away from a top 5 defense. Same for Green Bay with the athletic tackle. Seattle needs some hel on bothe sides of the ball. Cowboys need a young #2 reciever (Glenn is on his last leg) and some young corners. Steelers...Maybe a Defensive Tackle and a young bruising RB to run the ball on third downs (Though I like Davenport). Houston is a team I think could take the next step with this draft. Their Defense is a Free Safety, another Corner, and a Linebacker or two away from really starting to pound people. I believe Houston is another team like Cleveland and Tampa that are right on the verge of busting out as an elite team.

Comment

2) Safety- I love FS Brodney Pool and SS Sean Jones. However the Browns need a guy who can get the DB's in position and make adjustments to coverage before the snap. Neither has proven they can do that consistantly, hurting a tallented young group.
                        They're young and will improve. I really like those two guys.

As far as Strong Side Linebacker, I think they should move Jackson out and play Leon Williams. He's a fantastic player to be sitting on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                          They're young and will improve. I really like those two guys.

As far as Strong Side Linebacker, I think they should move Jackson out and play Leon Williams. He's a fantastic player to be sitting on the bench.
                          Jackson is having a great year, as is Andre Davis. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff knows who the best players are it is good to have solid depth you never know what will happen.

Comment

Ya you're right, but I really want to see Williams play more.

Comment

Well The Browns Defense is a line away from being a top 20 Defense. If Jackson or Davis go down (Which they both have this year) Williams will get time. He reminds me of a bigger, stronger, and younger version of Andre Davis which will make him a Pro-Bowl Calliber player ina couple years. By that time Davis will be I think 33 and on the downside of his career. Williams will get his chance. What did you think of what I said about the Texans?

Comment

Working...
                              X