Teams Breaking Through After 2008 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams Breaking Through After 2008 Draft

These are some teams I think will become Playoff Threats next season after a draft that is deeper than any I have followed with players who can be solid contributers and impact players through rounds 4 and 5. To everyones surprise the Browns are NOT my number 1 breakout team in 08.

1) Tampa Bay Buccaneers-
    Defense: Tampa has very little they need to be back near the top of the NFC. An impact Defensive Tackle will give them the best Defense in the NFL next year. Their D-Tackles now get the job done but are not impact guys that can help keep budding star Gains Adams from having to deal with two or three guys longer than Two of every four plays. That needs to increase to at least three.

DT: I see them taking care of this minor problem in Round 4, or 5.

Offense: With the Cadalac in the shop, maybe for good they need a strong running back in the draft. Fortunately for them, this draft has enough talent at that position to fill three leagues worth of team needs. They also need a reciever to go opposite The Ageless Wonder Joey Galloway. This player will also be the number one after Galloway hangs up his cleets. Another need is a Quarterback of the future. Though not as immediate it is wise to have someone ready when Jeff Garcia retires.

WR: I see this being a first round position. They take one of the many quality first round recievers.

RB: This is a position that will seal the fate of the Tampa offense in 08. This will be taken care of in Round 2.

QB: Not a serious need yet I see them going for this spot in either Rounds 4, or 5.

2) *Green Bay Packers- They are still on the rise and I doubt they get past the NFC Championship Game so they get this spot.

Defense: Not many needs here. They are they youngest team in the NFL with two of their three old guys on defense, unfortunately both at Cornerback. Al Harris will be 33 and Charles Woodson will be 31 next season. The problem there is that they have one young corner in the corner rotation. I expect them to get some youth here sometime as early as Round 1 in the draft. I also wouldn't doubt if they tried to get another Defensive Tackle to improve depth and against the run.

CB: I got them taking a corner in round one. A highly tallented player to prepare when Harris retires.

DT: I look for them to take a takle between rounds 3-6.

Offense: Running back was the only weekness I saw in the start of the year and with Ryan Grant emerging I'm thinking that maybe they may take one sometime for depth. To be honest, anything is a luxury for their offense at this point.

RB: I think they may take a Running Back sometime on Day 2.

3) Cleveland Browns:

Defense: the Browns are on the brink of having one of the best young cores of Linebackers in the NFL. With Willie McGinnist being 36 and near retirement and Antwan Peek only being of consistant value on third down the Browns need a full three down Strong Side Linebacker that can be a strong, athletic, and smart. Then the problem spot comes around. The Browns have a solid starter in DE Robaire Smith who will be 31 by the middle of next season, a two down DT/DE Shaun Smith who needs to be fresh to be consistantly effective, and Orpheus Roye who is still productive off the bench but is not a quality starter. No other lineman (Even their starting nose tackle) is worth mentioning here. The line is the worst in the NFL in my opinion. The Browns are very young at corner and have a lot of talent including Rookie Eric Write and shutdown corner Leigh Bodden. Depth at this position is needed however.

DL: This whole line needs overhauled and there are four worth keeping. There is only one worthy of starting however and so I see this overhaul starting in Round 2

SLB: The strong side is a need that is beginning to be more apparent. Look for this to happen in Round 3 or 4

CB: This will be a position that should be filled in Round 5 or 6.

Offense: A great group with very few flaws. They have problems at Right Guard where Seth McKinney nor Ryan Tucker are the answer and at Wide Reciever where one more young explosive player could make them a more elite unit. Running Back could be a problem but I look for them to make a trade to settle that.

RG: The only line possition needing help should be taken care of in Round 4 or 5.

RB: A 4th or 5th Rounder should add depth

WR: Of no immediate need I see this in Round 6 or 7

4) Houston Texans:

Defense: Houston is very close to being a feared defensive team. Their biggest problem is Free Safety. Will Demps is the worst Starting Safety in the NFL and it shows in the team stats. DE opposite of Mario Williams to take preasure off Williams and young DT Amobi Okoye. MLB Demeco Ryans is one of the best Middle Linebackers in the league, but he needs help. An upgrade opposite OLB Marlon Greenwood will be a must for this Defense to take the next step.

FS: Worst in the league will look to be upgraded in Round 3

OLB: Upgrades are needed in Round 4 or 5.

DE: Another Day 2 upgrade. Look for a lineman to be taken in Round 4 or 5.

Offense: This unit is performing well but will not compete for a playoff spot as long as Running Backs Ahman "Over The Hill" Green and Ron "Cheesecake" Dayne are eating up carries and the Injured Reserve spots. Another reciever for insurence would also help the offense.

RB: This is the biggest need on the offensive side of the ball. It will be taken care of in Round 1.

WR: Look for this to be a late 6th or 7th Round Pickup.

5) Tennessee Titans-

Defense: Defense is this team's staple. I can see them going with depth at any position but I see very little need but depth is always good.

Safety: Round 5 or 6

Corner: Round 5 or 6

Offense: Worst recieving core in league history. Payton Manning or Tom Brady would turn into Ryan Leaf and go on a drunken rampage if they had to deal with that mess. Look for the Titans to go Reciever early and often in this draft. They may also want to look into depth at Running Back to help the rather lazy Lendale White and make sure he is able to get off the field before colapsing.

WR: Look for this problem to be taken care of in Rounds 1, 2, and sometime later in the draft.

RB: A good back should be availible in Round 4 or 5 and I see them taking one.
    Last edited by Joey_Potter; 12-10-2007, 03:34 PM. Reason: Skipped info
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Your top three are playoff threats THIS season.
    An upgrade opposite OLB Marlon Greenwood will be a must for this Defense to take the next step.
    Houston will also have to replace Danny Clark in the draft who will most likely be a free agent. I don't mind them taking the best RB available, but if they have a chance to trade down they should take it b/c of how deep the RB position is this year, and due to the fact they have no second round pick. Kenny Phillips is a possibility in round one.

Comment

I agree with that and I feel they could swap on the FS/RB need since the draft is so deep at running back. So I just went with my gut on them getting QB Matt Schuab a running game. Big money in that man, make him happy.
      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Earnest Graham, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett...runningback is not a need for Tampa. We need to upgrade DT you are right on that but also center (it is our most glaring need). Cornerback too.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Earnest Graham, Cadillac Williams, Michael Bennett...runningback is not a need for Tampa. We need to upgrade DT you are right on that but also center (it is our most glaring need). Cornerback too.
          It is rumored that Cadillac's career is over and Gruden isnt sure if the others are long term answers. In light of that I see that as a need.

Comment

I think it's in Tampas best intrest to have the Caddy be done. They'd owe him a lot of money for a job that Earnest Graham can do better for cheaper.

Comment

Maybe beacuse I'm a Bills fan but I must say the Bills will be a very good teram after the 08 draft. We get the players we draft. 1,2,3,3(BAL),4,4(CHI),5,6,7,7(PHI) +'s Comps picks for Nate C. LFB, Gandy (I'm thinking a 4th and late pick). Then we get all the players on IR back. Poz, Ko to name a few.

Comment

To bad NE is in your division

Comment

Bills were like #6 on my list and I was going to do 10 but 5 took me a long time so I only did that. But the Bills will be one of those teams I will expect to be up there 4, 5, and 6 were very close.

Comment

I don't see the Bills ever doing anything. Tough division in a few years, Jets will give people fits too.

Then you have the AFC South that will be locking up at least one playoff spot for the next 4 years. Then Pittsburgh, Cleveland's franchise is on the rebound, Bengals have that great offense. It is so tough in the AFC to get into the playoffs as a wildcard in the next few years imo.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                      I think it's in Tampas best intrest to have the Caddy be done. They'd owe him a lot of money for a job that Earnest Graham can do better for cheaper.
                      Earnest Graham is not better than Caddy. Lets get that straight. Caddy is worth his inexpensive price tag (only making like 4M a year over the next 4) for his talent. He is one hell of a tailback. It is important in this league to have more than 1 RB. Having Caddy, Graham, and Bennett is huge for the Bucs franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                        I don't see the Bills ever doing anything. Tough division in a few years, Jets will give people fits too.

Then you have the AFC South that will be locking up at least one playoff spot for the next 4 years. Then Pittsburgh, Cleveland's franchise is on the rebound, Bengals have that great offense. It is so tough in the AFC to get into the playoffs as a wildcard in the next few years imo.
                        Jets next year come on. Agree AFC>>NFC

Comment

Originally posted by bills_red View Post
                          Jets next year come on. Agree AFC>>NFC
                          I'm not saying the AFC is better than the NFC because that isn't the case imo. I'm just saying since the Jags and Colts are so good every year (and will continue to do so) that it locks up 1 wildcard spot every season making it tougher to get into the playoffs.

Comment

I love that Philly Cheesesteak Hardees commerciall...speaking of which Walter how good are the orginial Philly Cheesesteaks? When I win the lottery (don't play it but fun to think about) I am going to fly to 2 places.

Philly to try a cheesesteak.
                            California to go to In-N-Out.

Comment

Looked like a helmet to helmet hit.

Comment

Working...
                              X