Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Kiper agrees with me

from his chat on ESPN.com

Tom, Boston: With Petrino out, does Atlanta now draft Matt Ryan over Brohm?

Mel Kiper: (1:31 PM ET ) I always said they would go for Ryan. I've always said that Ryan would go over Brohm. Just because Petrino coached Brohm that doesn't mean he would have picked him, but now that doesn't matter because he's not there any more.

Now I once thought Andre' Woodson>Matt Ryan but he had accuracy issues this season. But Kiper and I where on the same page. We know the NFL. You don't take a QB just because he was the head coach's college QB. It's a bad move. You take the best QB in the draft. It's a mute point now, but I'm just throwing it out there.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

It's a mute point now
    moot point*

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post

Mel Kiper: (1:31 PM ET ) I always said they would go for Ryan. I've always said that Ryan would go over Brohm. Just because Petrino coached Brohm that doesn't mean he would have picked him, but now that doesn't matter because he's not there any more.

Now I once thought Andre' Woodson>Matt Ryan but he had accuracy issues this season. But Kiper and I where on the same page. We know the NFL. You don't take a QB just because he was the head coach's college QB. It's a bad move. You take the best QB in the draft. It's a mute point now, but I'm just throwing it out there.
      With all the draft knowledge you have, do you really think that Kiper is so good? I've heard that many people think he's more hype than expert.

Comment

Originally posted by animal52 View Post
        With all the draft knowledge you have, do you really think that Kiper is so good? I've heard that many people think he's more hype than expert.
        C'mon look at that hair. He's gonna be good with that baby.
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Well I think there is some truth to that. Lets just be honest. It can't be an NFL Draft without MKJ. He is the godfather. He made the draft what it is today and we all owe him respect because of it, love him or hate him, respect him.

I do look at his mocks sometimes and I question a lot of stuff (giving Bucs Antonio Cromartie 2 years ago when Tampa never drafts corners in round 1, much less press corners). I question his big board a lot of times. At some points I remember Nat Dorsey being in his top 25.

He does know a lot about scouting and he knows a lot about needs and how they relate to teams. He puts players in his big board before EVERYONE else (Kamerion Wimbley, DeMarcus Ware, Davin Joseph, etc.)

Even this year. If Kentawn Balmer becomes a first round pick, he called it first. He is an innovator, and when people make bold predictions backed up by legit arguments I give them a lot of credit (see Palmer, Jesse who is the opposite).

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt McGuire;11394]Well I think there is some truth to that. Lets just be honest. It can't be an NFL Draft without MKJ. He is the godfather. He made the draft what it is today and we all owe him respect because of it, love him or hate him, respect him.

OK, I'd agree with "godfather" over guru. I certainly don't hate him and he does provide a great service to all of us that follow the draft. You'd just think that as famous he is he would have more team insider info than seems to be there on draft day. I guess it comes down to the question as who "should" or "will" be picked by who.

Comment

To be honest I think its only idiot casual fans who automatically believe that Brohm would definetly get drafted by Atlanta (the same morons who complained about Houston passing on Reggie Bush or thought Troy Smith would go in the 1st round) due to his connection with Petrino, yet its clear to see he has the least upside of the 'big three'.

Comment

I have thought since Matt Ryan's emergence that it was Brohm and Ryan were battling for the 1 and 2 spots at QB in this draft. I also agree that you should take the top guy. I feel the battle for the #1 QB spot in the Draft is closer than most people would believe between those 2. I know that people love Andre Woodson. I feel he is a smaller Vince Young without the mobility, better accuracy, and better passing mechanics. I see him as the #3 QB in the draft. But #1 is still close between Brohm and Ryan. Take who you think is better. I may have taken Brohm. Maybe get burned but take him.
                If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                  I have thought since Matt Ryan's emergence that it was Brohm and Ryan were battling for the 1 and 2 spots at QB in this draft. I also agree that you should take the top guy. I feel the battle for the #1 QB spot in the Draft is closer than most people would believe between those 2. I know that people love Andre Woodson. I feel he is a smaller Vince Young without the mobility, better accuracy, and better passing mechanics. I see him as the #3 QB in the draft. But #1 is still close between Brohm and Ryan. Take who you think is better. I may have taken Brohm. Maybe get burned but take him.
                  Woodson has slightly better physical tools and plays in a tougher conference, thats why I have him ranked higher.

Each to their own though.

Comment

Not to sound racist, but what do they have in common then besides the color of their skin?
                    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Mel Kiper = dumb ass

Comment

[QUOTE=animal52;11407]
                        Well I think there is some truth to that. Lets just be honest. It can't be an NFL Draft without MKJ. He is the godfather. He made the draft what it is today and we all owe him respect because of it, love him or hate him, respect him.

OK, I'd agree with "godfather" over guru. I certainly don't hate him and he does provide a great service to all of us that follow the draft. You'd just think that as famous he is he would have more team insider info than seems to be there on draft day. I guess it comes down to the question as who "should" or "will" be picked by who.
                        Most people close to teams (reporters/beat writers) aren't allowed to divulge that information. After they make the pick, then you hear all the information come out about how the head coach loved the player, they make it seem so obvious etc. etc.

Being in the role MKJ is, to me it isn't about having insider knowledge. It is about being exciting, bringing energy to the stage. When the prospect's video comes on and he analyzes the player Mel simply just has it. He's got the voice, he brings that insight we all know and love and it is why we all love the Draft.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QcR9gNIAIvk

2:49 - 4:20...I just love the way ESPN presents the analysis and MKJ is a big part of that. I don't agree with some of what Mel says (of course, how could I? lol)...lets just analyze Mel Kiper and what he brings to the table:

Graded on a 10 scale:
                        Insight (8): Mel Kiper made the NFL Draft what it is today. Why do you think MLB's draft sucks? Mel Kiper made the first ever scouting guide that he sold to NFL teams and still does.

Personality (10): You just have to love him. The hair. The voice. A tone of humor here and there. We feed off his energy, his passion for the draft.

Analysis (8.5): Mel is bold. He puts predictions out there and doesn't care what anyone thinks...calls it like he sees it and he really was one of the first to do this every since they call copied (see Merrill Hoge and Sean Salisbury...total wannabes).

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt McGuire;11419]

Most people close to teams (reporters/beat writers) aren't allowed to divulge that information. After they make the pick, then you hear all the information come out about how the head coach loved the player, they make it seem so obvious etc. etc.

Being in the role MKJ is, to me it isn't about having insider knowledge. It is about being exciting, bringing energy to the stage. When the prospect's video comes on and he analyzes the player Mel simply just has it. He's got the voice, he brings that insight we all know and love and it is why we all love the Draft.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QcR9gNIAIvk

2:49 - 4:20...I just love the way ESPN presents the analysis and MKJ is a big part of that. I don't agree with some of what Mel says (of course, how could I? lol)...lets just analyze Mel Kiper and what he brings to the table:

Graded on a 10 scale:
                          Insight (8): Mel Kiper made the NFL Draft what it is today. Why do you think MLB's draft sucks? Mel Kiper made the first ever scouting guide that he sold to NFL teams and still does.

Personality (10): You just have to love him. The hair. The voice. A tone of humor here and there. We feed off his energy, his passion for the draft.

Analysis (8.5): Mel is bold. He puts predictions out there and doesn't care what anyone thinks...calls it like he sees it and he really was one of the first to do this every since they call copied (see Merrill Hoge and Sean Salisbury...total wannabes).
                          That's fair enough. I always wanted to know why I parked my butt in front of the TV on draft day and never leave. I'll show this to my wife. Maybe it will help her understand

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                            Not to sound racist, but what do they have in common then besides the color of their skin?
                            Strong arm, leadership skills, Id have to think but I'm sure there is more.
                            If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                            Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Strong arm, leadership skills, Id have to think but I'm sure there is more.
                              I personally don't think they have anything in common other than that calm demeanor.

Comment

Working...
                              X