My top 10 Senior Quarterbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My top 10 Senior Quarterbacks

It's the position we all love...when one is taken in the draft, in any round, the analysts stop and talk about it...a potential future leader is so intriguing to think about.

Here are my top 10 quarterbacks for the two thousand and eight National Football League Draft:

1. Matt Ryan / Boston College (Top 5)
    I question his decision making skills...18 INTs is a lot. I don't think it is a real issue because he shows polished passing skills. Anticipating routes...throwing the ball before the receiver breaks. Shows poise in the pocket. Good mechanics. Arm strength is important, but when I analyze the quarterback position I look at the mental side of the game more than anything.

2. Andre' Woodson / Kentucky (Top 10)
    This was a disappointing year for Woodson when you consider what could have been. He showed some accuracy issues in his junir year, but this year he missed some wide open passes. It doesn't really concern me though because how many quarterbacks in the NFL just have flat accuracy issues? It comes down to decision making and Woodson has this down. He doesn't turn the ball over a lot. He doesn't throw into traffic. I think with better coaching and development in the NFL he will fluroish with his great tools (size, arm, leadership/intangibles).

3. Brian Brohm / Louisville (Top 25)
    I said to be wary of Brohm going into the season. He plays in a beautifully designed offense which gets receivers absolutely wide open and he plays against poor defenses. He is a very polished passer, but where I question him is his intangibles. He doesn't have that leadership, his teammates don't seem to rally around him.

4. Erik Ainge / Tennessee (Top 50)
    Like Flacco Ainge reminds me a lot of Derek Anderson. Ainge and Flacco are
    two very similar prospects, but Ainge has faced much tougher defenses and it will be an easier transition. He needs polish in his passing game, but the tools are there.

5. Joe Flacco / Delaware (Top 60)
    This is the hot prospect at the moment. He has the great size, the great arm. He needs some development. Like Ainge, he really really reminds me of a Derek Anderson. Someone that makes questionable decisions and needs development and learning in the NFL. He is below Ainge because Ainge has seen SEC speed, and Flacco has looked more successful than Ainge because he is going against much much weaker competition.

6. John David Booty / USC (Top 60)
    Booty isn't one of those quarterbacks that strikes you as a pro quarterback. I think he can be an NFL quarterback and I think he can be a very good one. He shows polish in the passing game and he makes NFL throws. He has a good arm, not a great arm. He has average physical tools, but I maintain it takes much much more in the NFL to be a quarterback than being able to throw the ball 60 yards in the air and run a 4.7 40.

7. Josh Johnson / San Diego (Top 80)
    He has a high ceiling. When you look at his production this season and his athletic ability he could go as high as the second round and pull a John Beck when we don't see it (go much higher than anticipated a few weeks before the draft). I have not seen him play obviously, but I will be watching the All-Star games for him. He will take more than 1.5 seasons to develop in the NFL.

8. Sam Keller / Nebraska (Top 110)
    Keller is a very risky prospect. He has big character concerns...just reportedly a bad attitude, the Ryan Leaf effect. But you have to like his physical tools and upside. At times he just looks like that prototypical NFL quarterback, other times it's a disaster. He's up and down, but there just isn't a lot left in this draft to like at quarterback. I love Keller's upside and it is why if I were an NFL team I would spend a 4th round pick on him and take a gamble.

9. Colt Brennan / Hawaii (Top 150)
    Lots to like about Brennan, more to not like. He will probably be a 2nd round player but I'm not a fan of his. The competition he plays against makes him look better than what he is. The Georgia game in my opinion can only be a bad thing for Brennan. If he does well, I say he is a system quarterback because Georgia is going up against a Gimmick offense. If he does bad, then he can't play against top competition just another problem in his draft status. Brennan has a weak arm. He has a horrible delivery (which eventually will cause injuries). Horrible bulk on his frame, another reason for injury concerns. Character issues. Run N Shoot quarterbacks need I say more. I am just not a fan of his. He will get mugh higher ratings elsewhere, but not from me.

10. Dennis Dixon / Oregon (Top 220)
    Vince Young Part II. You see how Vince is struggling...Dixon will do the same. Career backup.
    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 12-12-2007, 01:50 PM.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

John David Booty and Keller before Brennan don't know about that one.

Comment

Looks good to me... I'm not sure about Booty being so high and Brennan being so low, but you back it up with good reasoning. I'd at least put Brennan over Keller. What character issues has Brennan had in the last few years?

Comment

tyler donovan called, he said you forgot about him and henne. 5 11 qbs with accuracy issues don't usually do well in the nfl, i told him, but i couldn't figure out why henne was off the list.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
          Looks good to me... I'm not sure about Booty being so high and Brennan being so low, but you back it up with good reasoning. I'd at least put Brennan over Keller. What character issues has Brennan had in the last few years?
          I question June Jones recruiting all of his thugs and then they never get in trouble again. A system with great character, or he keeps them out of trouble?

This stuff happens all the time and we never hear about it I guarantee you.

Scott Wright (amateur draft expert...I don't agree with everything he says but some) said...

"From the people I have spoken to the character concerns they are worried about is a ****y attitude and a love of getting face time on tv and hearing his own voice. Personally I think that is bunk for the most part and there is nothing wrong with a player, especially a quarterback, being able to handle himself well in the media. Nevertheless that is the issue that is out there..."

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by starqb14 View Post
            tyler donovan called, he said you forgot about him and henne. 5 11 qbs with accuracy issues don't usually do well in the nfl, i told him, but i couldn't figure out why henne was off the list.
            Because all Henne has is a big arm. That is just about it. You can substitute him for Dixon if you want. Both are very late round prospects and two I am not high on at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              It's the position we all love...when one is taken in the draft, in any round, the analysts stop and talk about it...a potential future leader is so intriguing to think about.

Here are my top 10 quarterbacks for the two thousand and eight National Football League Draft:

1. Matt Ryan / Boston College (Top 5)
              I question his decision making skills...18 INTs is a lot. I don't think it is a real issue because he shows polished passing skills. Anticipating routes...throwing the ball before the receiver breaks. Shows poise in the pocket. Good mechanics. Arm strength is important, but when I analyze the quarterback position I look at the mental side of the game more than anything.

2. Andre' Woodson / Kentucky (Top 10)
              This was a disappointing year for Woodson when you consider what could have been. He showed some accuracy issues in his junir year, but this year he missed some wide open passes. It doesn't really concern me though because how many quarterbacks in the NFL just have flat accuracy issues? It comes down to decision making and Woodson has this down. He doesn't turn the ball over a lot. He doesn't throw into traffic. I think with better coaching and development in the NFL he will fluroish with his great tools (size, arm, leadership/intangibles).

3. Brian Brohm / Louisville (Top 25)
              I said to be wary of Brohm going into the season. He plays in a beautifully designed offense which gets receivers absolutely wide open and he plays against poor defenses. He is a very polished passer, but where I question him is his intangibles. He doesn't have that leadership, his teammates don't seem to rally around him.

4. Erik Ainge / Tennessee (Top 50)
              Like Flacco Ainge reminds me a lot of Derek Anderson. Ainge and Flacco are
              two very similar prospects, but Ainge has faced much tougher defenses and it will be an easier transition. He needs polish in his passing game, but the tools are there.

5. Joe Flacco / Delaware (Top 60)
              This is the hot prospect at the moment. He has the great size, the great arm. He needs some development. Like Ainge, he really really reminds me of a Derek Anderson. Someone that makes questionable decisions and needs development and learning in the NFL. He is below Ainge because Ainge has seen SEC speed, and Flacco has looked more successful than Ainge because he is going against much much weaker competition.

6. John David Booty / USC (Top 60)
              Booty isn't one of those quarterbacks that strikes you as a pro quarterback. I think he can be an NFL quarterback and I think he can be a very good one. He shows polish in the passing game and he makes NFL throws. He has a good arm, not a great arm. He has average physical tools, but I maintain it takes much much more in the NFL to be a quarterback than being able to throw the ball 60 yards in the air and run a 4.7 40.

7. Josh Johnson / San Diego (Top 80)
              He has a high ceiling. When you look at his production this season and his athletic ability he could go as high as the second round and pull a John Beck when we don't see it (go much higher than anticipated a few weeks before the draft). I have not seen him play obviously, but I will be watching the All-Star games for him. He will take more than 1.5 seasons to develop in the NFL.

8. Sam Keller / Nebraska (Top 110)
              Keller is a very risky prospect. He has big character concerns...just reportedly a bad attitude, the Ryan Leaf effect. But you have to like his physical tools and upside. At times he just looks like that prototypical NFL quarterback, other times it's a disaster. He's up and down, but there just isn't a lot left in this draft to like at quarterback. I love Keller's upside and it is why if I were an NFL team I would spend a 4th round pick on him and take a gamble.

9. Colt Brennan / Hawaii (Top 150)
              Lots to like about Brennan, more to not like. He will probably be a 2nd round player but I'm not a fan of his. The competition he plays against makes him look better than what he is. The Georgia game in my opinion can only be a bad thing for Brennan. If he does well, I say he is a system quarterback because Georgia is going up against a Gimmick offense. If he does bad, then he can't play against top competition just another problem in his draft status. Brennan has a weak arm. He has a horrible delivery (which eventually will cause injuries). Horrible bulk on his frame, another reason for injury concerns. Character issues. Run N Shoot quarterbacks need I say more. I am just not a fan of his. He will get mugh higher ratings elsewhere, but not from me.

10. Dennis Dixon / Oregon (Top 220)
              Vince Young Part II. You see how Vince is struggling...Dixon will do the same. Career backup.
              I'm not a Brennan fan either, however I'm pretty confident he'll go on the 1st day at the very least.

When you consider the amount of times Ryan was passing the ball in a game I think 18 is not a very bad return at all.

Comment

Two weeks ago I saw Brennan throw 2 passes. One was 40 yards in the air and one was about 45 in the air. That might not be good for a 3 second hail mary but it will be good enough for an everyday QB.
                If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                  Two weeks ago I saw Brennan throw 2 passes. One was 40 yards in the air and one was about 45 in the air. That might not be good for a 3 second hail mary but it will be good enough for an everyday QB.
                  Any QB in the NFL can throw the ball 45 yards in the air. It isn't anything special, every QB in the NFL has some kind of arm.

But Brennan has a below average arm. A lot of his balls are lofty and not with a lot of force. I love his quick delivery and touch, but that is it. He just plays against a lot of slow corners and safeties and I'm not impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    Because all Henne has is a big arm. That is just about it. You can substitute him for Dixon if you want. Both are very late round prospects and two I am not high on at all.
                    With respect to overall quality you may be right about where to place Henne. But because he is the "prototype" pro QB, tall and with big arm, 4 years of college experience, somebody will risk a higher pick on him. I'm guessing he's a 4th rounder.

Comment

I don't know how many prototype QBs have failed in the NFL because they lack leadership and can't read defenses. Henne has neither.

Comment

henne has leadership. he might learn to read defenses. the bears will draft him rd2

Comment

lists looks decent, other than colt being a little low.. i like where you put Josh Johnson tho, i am curious to see what round he gets picked in.
                          Last edited by bwest36; 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM.
                          Philadelphia Eagles - One.Team.Dream.City

sigpic

Comment

henne has leadership. he might learn to read defenses. the bears will draft him rd2
                            Bears have a history of drafting overrated Wolverines, like David Terrell and Anthony Thomas, so you may be right. It would fit.

Comment

I will bet you giving you 10:1 odds that he won't be drafted in round 1,2,3, or 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X