Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Official" 40 times officially a joke.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Official" 40 times officially a joke.

    I hope everyone was able to see the end of the NFLN broadcast. They superimposed all of the position winners 40 runs. Taylor Mays dusts Trindon Holiday who they have running an "official" 4.34. So how the heck could Mays have run a 4.43? Why is it so darn hard for them to get it right? I mean, they only have a year to prepare. Who knows, Hayden my have run a 4.47.
    Some random guy:

    "Like I have been telling you for the past two months: The Oakland Raiders will draft Campbell."

  • #2
    Why not use the same system that they use on all the track meets around the world?

    Perhaps it gives the runners too much advantage, but it should be possible to construct something that starts the clock when the pressure from the back foot of the player gets sufficiently low and stops it when he crosses the line...
    Forgive me I'm Swedish!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Leo Fender View Post
      Why not use the same system that they use on all the track meets around the world?

      Perhaps it gives the runners too much advantage, but it should be possible to construct something that starts the clock when the pressure from the back foot of the player gets sufficiently low and stops it when he crosses the line...
      I think Bucky Brooks mentioned that they used to have it like that, but players found a way to cheat it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Really? So doesn't that mean that track athletes would also have found a way to cheat it?
        Some random guy:

        "Like I have been telling you for the past two months: The Oakland Raiders will draft Campbell."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Silver Samurai View Post
          Really? So doesn't that mean that track athletes would also have found a way to cheat it?
          Or you can call it a skill. Fast reaction to the gun is one of the most important skills in short track.

          One of the intentions of the present system is probably to neutralize the difference between prospects who had track training and those who didn't. It doesn't work very well. But you can at least see the reasoning. They aren't doing this because they have a weird nalstalgia for the 30's or something.
          Adam Schefter, August 25, 2009
          "He's getting a lot of heat now, but someone who knows coaches well predicted to me that McDaniels is going to be one of the greatest NFL coaches ever. Strong words, I know, and we'll see. But I think he's going to be a real good one".

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by arcadeparties View Post
            I think Bucky Brooks mentioned that they used to have it like that, but players found a way to cheat it.
            I guess you could cheat it if you have to start on a given signal and sort of guess when the signal will come, but if you use something that measures the pressure you excert with your foot and that starts the timer when that pressure gets too low, indicating that you are moving forward, I think it'd be hard to cheat it...
            Forgive me I'm Swedish!

            Comment


            • #7
              or just have a laser at the start line and a laser at the finish. bingo. done.

              Comment


              • #8
                it was atrocious at the combine. i love NFLN coverage of the combine, but yesterday the jackass that had Mays at a 4.24 caused Eisen Mayock and Deion to talk about a 4.24 for 30 minutes before they found out it was really 4.4 something....
                NY Giants fan since birth.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by yem123 View Post
                  it was atrocious at the combine. i love NFLN coverage of the combine, but yesterday the jackass that had Mays at a 4.24 caused Eisen Mayock and Deion to talk about a 4.24 for 30 minutes before they found out it was really 4.4 something....
                  it wasnt really a 4.4

                  he was faster than holliday who was clocked at 4.34

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This is what happens when everyone puts way too much stock in 40 times. Everyone gets upset at the inconsistency.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by a2x View Post
                      it wasnt really a 4.4

                      he was faster than holliday who was clocked at 4.34
                      How do you know he was faster than Holliday?
                      LIVE NFL Draft Blog

                      DraftZoo.com

                      DraftZoo on Twitter

                      DraftZoo on Facebook

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is a joke, and it's something that really needs fixed. Last year the times were screwed up, so they didn't bother to fix it this year?

                        Heres all the evidence you need that the times are screwed:



                        This shows Taylor Mays at atleast a 4.32, ATLEAST
                        GO BROWNS!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It is kinda shameful that MLB with only camera and computers can give real time info on every single pitch thrown last year, including velocity and movement while the NFL still can't time a 40 yard dash on a straight line.
                          Adam Schefter, August 25, 2009
                          "He's getting a lot of heat now, but someone who knows coaches well predicted to me that McDaniels is going to be one of the greatest NFL coaches ever. Strong words, I know, and we'll see. But I think he's going to be a real good one".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If Taylor Mays was faster than Holliday he wouldn't play football, he would be an Olympic sprinter.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you watch Taylor Mays first run... You can tell there is no way it is a 4.4, they showed how fast he was running and he maxed out at 23.8 mph. Which was quicker than spiller's 23.1 I believe he ran a 4.24, they guy is a incredible athlete. The second run was noticably slower though, and was around a 4.32
                              Cincinnati Bengals Be The GM 2015
                              Trade BlockAndy Dalton, Geno Atkins, Giovanni Bernard, Margus Hunt, Michael Johnson,

                              1.21
                              2.53
                              3.85
                              3.99
                              4.120
                              4.135
                              5.157
                              6.197
                              7.238

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X