Darren McFadden's bust factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren McFadden's bust factor

Lets get in our time machine and go back to the 2006 Draft...vrrroooommmm.

Okay. Reggie Bush love fest, all the talk was about the quarterbacks. Merrill Hodge got roasted for saying there is no QB he would take in round 1 other than Jay Cutler. He said on tape that Cutler and Clemens where the best QBs in this draft, and so far as passers I can't disagree with that assessment. They certainly show much more upside than Vince Young and Matt Leinart thus far.

Lets give Hodge here a ton of credit even if you disagree with what he said (and I know I did). He did his homework and formed his own opinion based on what he knew and wasn't afraid to say what he had to say. He has confidence in his projection and to me that is what makes an analyst stand out if they make sense of the situation (Lou Holtz doesn't count lolz).

Okay, fast forward to now.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=335333

Brian Baldinger from NFL Network doesn't think McFadden is the prospect everyone is making him out to be and to be very honest I am feeling about McFadden the same way I felt about Reggie Bush.

I question his interior rushing skills (but i feel better than Bush), and from time to time I look at McFadden and I feel like he has the body of an athlete and not a runningback. Now I know RBs are athletes, but if you know what I'm saying you know what I'm saying.

I'd like for you all to comment on Baldinger's thoughts because his projection is very well presented and he has clearly done his homework. He is one of the most underrated football analysts on television.

Now I don't think McFadden is not as good of a prospect as Peterson, but he clearly has been more durable in his career than Peterson (which is why he was somewhat of a risky prospect). I gave Peterson an elite grade. I'm going to re-evaluate my stance on McFadden and start from scratch. This is what scouts do when a player surprises at an all-star game or combine. They go back and look for what they missed.

One flaw in Baldinger's article I think is his expectations might be too high of McFadden comparing him to some all-time greats. I think what I draw from what Baldinger is saying here is that McFadden gets by more on his athleticism than pure running skills.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

McFadden is in my opinion an elite prospect still, one of the best prospects ever.

I think the fans are going to be in for a rude awakening though. I don't expect him to produce the same kind of numbers the Peterson did. Peterson came into the league with the luxury of playing behind on of the leagues best offensive lines. A group og guys that can create massive running lanes against the best defenses.

I don't see McFadden in that situation. Unless Dalals trades up for him, i expect McFadden to break 1,000 yards as a rookie, and possibly finish the season somewhere in the low 1,300 range, with maybe 7 TD's, if he is a featured back and stays healthy.

If he ends up someplace like New York where he is splitting carries with Thomas Jones as a rookie then i don't expect him to hit 1,000 yards. And fans are going to really take it out on him since he is supposed to be an even more elite prospect the PEterson was.

I don't know if i would say he is a better prosepct then Peterson, but he is on the same level in my opinion, and if Peterson didn't have the injury risk last year i would have told you he was the best player in the draft even above Calvin Johnson.

Similarly enough, i still believe McFadden is the best player in this draft and its a shame and almost criminal that there is even a chace that he doesn't go in the top 5.

Comment

I think some teams won't pick him if he does get in simply because he looks like he's just plain dumb. How can you not file your paperwork? That said, he has more talent then any one else, I'll give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
        I think some teams won't pick him if he does get in simply because he looks like he's just plain dumb. How can you not file your paperwork? That said, he has more talent then any one else, I'll give him that.
        I think way to much is being made over these papers not being sent in yet.

First of all, no where and at no time has Darren McFadden, or his father, said they sent in the papers, or that McFadden was officially declaring.

Only thing reported was that many unnamed sources informed ESPN that they had inside knowledge that McFadden had sent in the papers.

Second, everyone is acting like the deadline has already passed and some huge legal case and rule exception would have to be made to let McFadden into the draft.

Comment

Craig why do you think McFadden is an elite prospect...did you read Brian's article?

Comment

Good point with Hodge. He really does deserve a lot of credit. I laughed out loud when he said that. (did he include Cutler? I thought he just said he wouldn't take any QB in the first round.)

Comment

He liked Cutler the most, but was on the fence in terms of him being a first rounder.

Meh I got so much work to do for this site (write updated mock, new blog, etc.) Peace. Also got errands to run.

Comment

All I can say is that I hope you are wrong.

I he is a little bit of a long strider and at times I don't know that he goes all out like Peterson or Marion Barber (someone I was right about coming out.) But it's not to the point where it really concerns me. If my Raiders get him, we will have to impress upon him the importances of not "coasting."

By the way, I was dead right about Reggie "Metcalf" Bush.
                Some random guy:

"Like I have been telling you for the past two months: The Oakland Raiders will draft Campbell."

Comment

No...

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                  Good point with Hodge. He really does deserve a lot of credit. I laughed out loud when he said that. (did he include Cutler? I thought he just said he wouldn't take any QB in the first round.)
                  he clearly said that Cutler was the only one that was the real deal, and he said it emphatically.
                  Some random guy:

"Like I have been telling you for the past two months: The Oakland Raiders will draft Campbell."

Comment

I was also right with Bush. I've never once criticized the Texans for taking Williams.

Comment

I think QB is the hardest to judge in the NFL because you don't really see a stud in his first year. Heck most of the time you're lucky if you see them take the field in their first year. RBs are expected to make a direct impact and if you have the O-line there's a great chance someone like McFadden can and will shine. You will always have at least 1 rookie RB stud and most likely it will be than man from Arkansas
                      Check out my new site Today!
                      Live 4 The Story

Comment

Working...
                      X