Shaun King and I on the same page about McFadden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaun King and I on the same page about McFadden

Watching First Take, Shaun King is saying the same thing I am...how he is "Reggie Bush-like" and he struggles to run between the tackles. Says he needs to be a complete back.

Makes a GREAT point in saying he wasn't asked to pass protect much, but I really never noticed this. I think I have a weakness when I scout runningbacks and I don't watch how they pass block enough as I should be.

And let me say what a great hire Shaun King is for ESPN. What he says makes so much sense and I already have a high opinion on him as far as an NFL analyst. He played the game in Tampa and won a Super Bowl in Tampa.

What exactly did guys like Sean Salisbury and Charles Davis do to deserve their jobs? Davis didn't even make an NFL roster at any time in his career and quit; Salisbury was a horrible QB.

Shaun King was an average QB for Tampa and almost lead this team to a Super Bowl back in the 1999-2000 season. This guy knows what he is talking about and he deserves some credit.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

You're right. King has a very good point. I wonder if he will be able to prove himself between the tackles. Let's face it, Adrian Peterson was a once in a lifetime tallent and chances are we wouldn't see another like him.
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Well we will eventually see another Adrian Peterson, but not anytime soon...maybe in 8-12 years. Also remember though lets not hype him up like a god, he was horrendous at the end of the season and it is inexcusable with who he has on his OL and Tavaris Jackson was playing a little better than normal.

You look at how players bust from high school to college and from college to the NFL...McFadden could very well fall in this category much like Reggie Bush.

Comment

Then too he ran down like most rookies do. He needs to up his conditioning and keep himself off the sidelines from injury to get through a full season and then we can call him the second coming of Emmitt Smith.
        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Seems like Bush will hurt the stocks of running backs, especially people like Slayton. I think there will be running backs thrown into the Bush category that shouldn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by EL Guapo View Post
            Seems like Bush will hurt the stocks of running backs, especially people like Slayton. I think there will be running backs thrown into the Bush category that shouldn’t.
            Like who? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              Like who? Just curious.
              I didn't have anybody in mind, I was just speaking in general. Maybe not this year but at sometime in the future. Like how Tiki Barber couldn't be an every down back.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                Watching First Take, Shaun King is saying the same thing I am...how he is "Reggie Bush-like" and he struggles to run between the tackles. Says he needs to be a complete back.

Makes a GREAT point in saying he wasn't asked to pass protect much, but I really never noticed this. I think I have a weakness when I scout runningbacks and I don't watch how they pass block enough as I should be.

And let me say what a great hire Shaun King is for ESPN. What he says makes so much sense and I already have a high opinion on him as far as an NFL analyst. He played the game in Tampa and won a Super Bowl in Tampa.

What exactly did guys like Sean Salisbury and Charles Davis do to deserve their jobs? Davis didn't even make an NFL roster at any time in his career and quit; Salisbury was a horrible QB.

Shaun King was an average QB for Tampa and almost lead this team to a Super Bowl back in the 1999-2000 season. This guy knows what he is talking about and he deserves some credit.
                I agree 100%. King does seem to be level headed on his analysis. Sean Salisbury is never right and he was a awful QB for the Seahawks. I think Salisbury is goood because whatever he says, you just think the opposite and you'll be right. And with all these solid HB's in this draft, I think McFadden can easily get out played by a few of them. McFadden is good but he's no better than some in his class like everyone wants us to think.

Comment

Originally posted by EL Guapo View Post
                  I didn't have anybody in mind, I was just speaking in general. Maybe not this year but at sometime in the future. Like how Tiki Barber couldn't be an every down back.
                  Well we are never going to predict every player's success accurately. This goes not just for dual threat runningbacks but every position. It is just something impossible to do.

Comment

Shaun King on 1st and 10 (replay) on ESPN2 right now...I am watching it in HD (just got it installed today)

Comment

Seems like there's a lot of anti-McFadden backlash going on right now across the tubes of the internets. He might not be the next LT2, but I really doubt he's going to be a bust. Here's a list of RBs chosen in the first round for the past 9 years. Out of 26 RBs chosen, I count seven busts (by which I mean a RB that never played up to 1st-round standards and appears unlikely to ever reach that goal): Benson, Perry, Green, Duckett, Bennett, Trung, Dayne. That means that 73% of the 1st-round picks turned out to be pretty darn good. Given that McFadden is at the top of a really strong RB class, I'm guessing McFadden is part of the 73%, and not part of the 27% group of busts.

2007: Lynch, Peterson
                      2006: Bush, Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Addai
                      2005: Carnel Williams, Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown
                      2004: S-Jax, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones
                      2003: McGahee, LJ
                      2002: William Green, TJ Duckett
                      2001: LT2, McAllister, Michael Bennett
                      2000: Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, S-Alexander, Ron Dayne, Trung Canidate
                      1999: Edge, Ricky Williams

If you want to define "bust" as not living up to super-high expectations (i.e., the Reggie Bush standard), then I think you're right that McFadden will have trouble meeting all the expectations.

Also, even with the terrible year he had this season, and missing 4 games, Reggie Bush still ended up as the #14 RB in my PPR league, which is pretty surprising. His weekly average was #9 among RBs, ahead of people like Barber, Graham, Lynch, and Parker. I'm targeting him as an undervalued player next season. I agree that Bush has not lived up to expectations, but I think that's because the expectations were too high, and not because Bush is a "bust." I suspect the same thing will happen with McFadden.

Comment

Most of those runningbacks listed have better running skills than McFadden and other things I suggested in my blog:

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog.php

Comment

I heard that Kevin Smit has problems blocking. Tony Hunt is Can't block..thats why he hasnt seen the field..
                          Philadelphia Eagles - One.Team.Dream.City

sigpic

Comment

Smith is a workhorse...I'm concerned with lack of speed but I feel he is an adequate value in round 3. He does some things well but I want to see how athletic he moves in drills at the combine, 40 time, and agility drills.

Comment

does he remind you little like cedric benson?
                              Philadelphia Eagles - One.Team.Dream.City

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X