My plans for today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plans for today

I'll go to the UK game, give a brief report of how NFL prospects such as Andre' Woodson and Keenan Burton played, then I'll come back and blog from this forum on the Cal/Tenn game. Should be interesting, definately a season opener worth watching (as opposed to UK/EKU).

Anyways, campus here in Lexington is packed with UK fans. Amazing how big the bandwagon can get. I remember this time last year that I would say 65% of UK fans said that the head coach, Rich Brooks, should be fired. Now, they wouldn't be opposed to building a huge statue of him in downtown.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Definitely look forward to your reports.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Sorry, I was down in the dorm's den watching Cal/Tenn and writing notes. Really impressed with Lavelle Hawkins, looks like a very solid mid round prospect. A great 40 time could move him up to round 2.

Anyways, my thoughts on the UK game:
      *Andre' Woodson played a good game, still very accurate, showing last season wasn't a fluke. However, he did a few things that bothered me. He still held on to the football too long a few times instead of throwing it away. I thought he would improve on this when he knows this is one of his biggest weaknesses. Missed one throw high to Burton on an out route...this is one of his biggest tendencies. When he misses throws, he missses them high. I think an NFL coach might be able to fix this. This could be bad for Andre', as high passes over the middle are more likely to be INT'd.

*I was really impressed with UK's starting center Eric Scott. He is a senior and a converted tight end. He has very good athleticism and mobility. He is 6'5, 295, but he looks bigger and I would say he is more like 6'5 305. He has a lot of potential if he looks good in post season workouts. Keep an eye on his draft stock as the season goes on. He lacks experience, and will be a developmental player. His ceiling looks to be late Round 3 to early Round 4.

*Keenan Burton had a good game, but I don't see him winning the jump balls in college that he will be up against in the NFL. Still a very impressive player, and he is versatile on special teams.

*Rafael Little had a good game, his forte is running to the outside, making cuts, and catching the football. He is very athletic, but he is on the small side. His OL needs to develop, too early to say where he will go exactly in the draft.

*One player that needs to be on everyone's radar is sophomore ILB Micah Johnson. He had a great game. He was the top ILB prospect in the country last year, and he has a 6'2 240 frame with 4.5 speed. He slimmed down and looks to be in excellent shape. He is seeing the game a lot better than last season and he is able to read/diagnose/react. He looked great in pass coverage, which is one of his weaknesses. He really sticks his nose in there and knows how to get to the football. He should be starting for UK the rest of the season. He is living up to his hype, and has the potential to be an early entry for the 2009 NFL Draft with his physical tools. I would compare him to a young Jeremiah Trotter.

Comment

Great stuff, Matt. I'll add those to the prospect pages.
        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Also Walter, impressed with Tamme's speed in the game. Really seemed more elusive than last year, but this draft class has a lot of potential.

Fred Davis
          Martellus Bennett (JR)
          Martin Rucker
          Chase Coffman
          John Carlson

Could be a deep TE class this year, which is pretty rare. All of those guys run a sub 4.7 I believe.

Comment

Do you see any of those guys in the first round?
            2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

Tough to say right now Walter. Greg Olsen was an excellent TE prospect, yet most teams past on him because they have bigger needs to fill than TE. TE is looked at by teams as a luxury position to have. They don't want to spend a pick too high and risk not filling other needs. Certainly understandable.

I'd say the two players with the most potential to go high in the draft Walter have to be Martellus Bennet and Fred Davis. They have the best size/athleticism combo. You aren't going in round 1 unless you are a great athlete. The days of Kyle Brady to the Jets over Warren Sapp are over, as you know.

Production this season is big, but what is bigger for determining first round TEs is their post season workouts, maybe more so than any other position. If a team is gonna spend a high pick on a TE, they can't afford to have a bust.

Comment

A few notes Walter on Andre' Woodson courtesy of UKathletics.com:

*"...André Woodson extended his school-record streak of consecutive passes without an interception to 191. That is the third-longest streak in SEC history, trailing just David Greene of Georgia (214 in 2004) and Stewart Patridge of Ole Miss (1997).

*7th straight game with 67% completions..."

Comment

That's really impressive. It's amazing some people don't know who he is.
                  2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

It's amazing people label him as a 2nd round draft prospect or as a top 5 QB (meaning that Chad Henne, Colt Brenna, or Matt Ryan are even near his level).

I think he is better than Brohm, but most people never have seen Woodson play and all they hear about is Brohm on ESPN so they just say Brohm is #1...I have a friend just like this and when he saw some of Andre's highlights on youtube he didn't change his mind but he loves Woodson as a prospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      A few notes Walter on Andre' Woodson courtesy of UKathletics.com:

*"...André Woodson extended his school-record streak of consecutive passes without an interception to 191. That is the third-longest streak in SEC history, trailing just David Greene of Georgia (214 in 2004) and Stewart Patridge of Ole Miss (1997).

*7th straight game with 67% completions..."
                      Kinda funny, Woodson threw an INT (more of a horrible play call imo than anything...stupid idea) and then it was eliminated because EKU was offsides.

Comment

LOL hey sometimes you need the breaks to go your way.

I keep telling my friends who are mild college football/NFL fantasy player friends that Kentucky has the top QB in the nation, and they're like "Who!?"
                        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

lol...if UK beats UL then they will know who Andre' Woodson is. He will become the "new" Brian Brohm with all the hype ESPN will throw his way.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                            LOL hey sometimes you need the breaks to go your way.

I keep telling my friends who are mild college football/NFL fantasy player friends that Kentucky has the top QB in the nation, and they're like "Who!?"
                            You say that Brohm is the best QB in the country. So don't you mean Brohm, who plays for UL which is located in Kentucky....? LOL

Comment

I have Brohm ranked No. 1 because he is the consensus No. 1 and would be drafted before Woodson today. I think that could change on draft day though, if that makes any sense.
                              2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

Working...
                              X