My thoughts on the New York Football Giants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts on the New York Football Giants

So, I got home from work yesterday to watch my recording of the NFC champ game. Believe it or not, the recording ended just after Tynes was iced for his kick at the end of regular time, I had to go online to find out what happened after that. So, sitting through (most of) the game with a Key Lime Pie Martini I offer the following observations.

1. Eli Manning is a white David Gerrard. He's not making huge plays, he's not throwing a lot into tight coverage, and he's not making mistakes.

2. Brandon Jacobs is who I thought he was. A lot of analysts have wet dreams thinking about his rare combination of size and speed, but he rarely makes people miss, and rarely gets outside. Bradshaw, whom I knew nothing about coming into this season, consistently looks better, even on third and short.

3. The myth that the only reason the secondary is successful is because the pass rush is so strong. Bullplop, the d-line got very little pressure on Favre last weekend, and if you take one play out Favre's figures were 18-34 146 yards 1 TD 2 INT. I know you can't take out a big play like that, but by my recollection it was the longest (or close) play from scrimmage this year.

4. Giants recievers are making some great catches with awesome sideline awareness, even Steve Smith the lesser made a catch off a tipped pass, which was wiped out by a penalty.

Naturally the game got fuzzier as I went through the martinis, but anyone else got any thoughts of the Giants?

I agree with everything you are saying, but the DBs have been playing really well, especially Corey Webster.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Hey wait, how did you get a pic in your sig?

Comment

RW has had the game winning INT in two of their 3 playoff games.

Comment

Still say they'll get blown out
          Walter got PWN3D
          Rams GM

Picks
          2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
          33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
          65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
          101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
          137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
          168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
          180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment

Corey Webster was looking like quite the bust until the last month or so, hes been phenomenal.

Green Bay are a team full of big cloggy run stuffers, I'm not surprised Jacobs was poor, hes too slow, and his power doesn't really work in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by candyman82 View Post
              Still say they'll get blown out
              I think so too.

PS. Yay the candyman is back!

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfanmike View Post
                Corey Webster was looking like quite the bust until the last month or so, hes been phenomenal.

Green Bay are a team full of big cloggy run stuffers, I'm not surprised Jacobs was poor, hes too slow, and his power doesn't really work in this situation.
                Jacobs runs I think a 4.4 40. Just shows you how little the combine tells you about players. He did wreck Charles Woodson though early in the game lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                  Jacobs runs I think a 4.4 40. Just shows you how little the combine tells you about players. He did wreck Charles Woodson though early in the game lol.
                  Thats honestly a pile of crap especially when Ahmad Bradshaw apparently runs a 4.5

Comment

40 smchorty.

Comment

OMFG!!!OMFG!!!OMFG!!!

Wow! Can I say that?

After studiously avoiding any internet contact, turning off my cell phone and staying away from any possible source of news I got home after a very anxious wait to watch the Super Bowl. To be honest, even on that last possession I thought that NE had a chance to win. Maybe it was the Budweiser's (unfortunately the only American beer my liquor store had) talking, but I got caught up in that whole "team of destiny" thing.

Forget it though. Nothing that I saw in that game told me that NE was the better team. When you go into the Super Bowl the rest of your season is left behind, and in that game NY were clearly the superior team.

I was watching it with my dad, in the 4th quarter, talking about all-time great Super Bowl finishes; about Montana's famous drive to win SB XXIII against the Bengals. Unfortunately John Candy is now dead. Then we witnessed a drive by Eli that will no doubt soon be put to the same inspirational music and voiceover that Montana's was.

Brady's drive was great in the 4th, but Manning did it twice.

Lastly, on the whole Manning brothers thing. Last year, Peyton won the MVP mostly because no one else stood out. This year Eli deserved it. I know I made some nasty remarks about "Eli's Mind" this year, but that's in the past.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Comment

I'm not trying to take away anything from the Giants, but am I the only one who thinks that Corey Webster still sucks. I know he has played great over the last few games, but c'mon he sucked the last 2 years in the league and wasn't a starter most of the year. He fell without contact allowing Randy Moss to score easily giving the Pats a 14-10 lead. Granted he had a very nice pass break up at the end of the game, but still...I dunno he had a very good last few weeks toward the end of the year and playoffs and now he's a legit corner? C'mon. If he does it all next season then I'll shut up, until then I think Ross and McQuarters (yes, him) are better for the Giants.
                        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I'm also happy for Eli. He deserved this win. He got DESTROYED by the New York papers all throughout the regular season (except towards the end of the year) and all offseason. Constant questions about should the Giants have traded up to get him? Will he ever lead them to a Superbowl? Is he ever gonna be as good as his brother? Before the year started I talked to a few of my friend who were Giants fans and they questioned if he should be the starter. Like Jared "I can eat more hamburgers than Ron Dayne and Shaun Alexander combined" Lorenzen would be better.

All I gotta say is good for Eli. He was in a negative spotlight for at least a year and had questions surrounding him since he came to NY. So much pressure was put on him by the media. I'm glad to see him overcame that and win, although I still dislike the Giants.

Tom Coughlin still sucks, should have be fired 2 years back, Steve Spagnola was the coach who lead that team to the SB Trophy and should be head coach somewhere next season.
                          WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                          Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Lol about your Tom Coughlin comment. I'm not a fan of his either.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyp View Post
                              Hey wait, how did you get a pic in your sig?
                              Put [IMG], then the URL of the image, then [/IMG].

Comment

Working...
                              X