X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Woodson pulling a Tom Petty?

and freeeeeee falllllllling?!?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/seniorbowl4.html

Ironically enough, they mention him in the same sentence as Colt Brennan. Matt, I feel for you, man.
    Cowboys Mock GM

Bring that title back to Big D!

This is bull****, he had a good week of practice...people just look for ways to bash him and have no clue what they are talking about.

These people have no clue what they are talking about and obviously have never seen these guys play on film like I have....I'm blogging about the QBs tonight and I'm going to point out why nobody really has any idea about the game of football and analyzing these guys.

Has an NFL QB ever busted just because of a slow release, or any one flaw in their game? NO. It takes more than one thing to be a bad QB in the NFL. I'll get into this more later in my blog it just really ticks me off when I hear about how bad/good some of these guys look and they can't even spell football.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

play the Race Card!
      WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
      Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
        play the Race Card!
        Can't do that...people actually think Josh Johnson is an NFL starter.

Comment

Here's a question for those who have watched Woodson in lots of games. I think I remember Walter commenting a few months back that Woodson takes a lot of unnecessary sacks because he holds the ball looking to make a play rather than getting rid of it. Is this related to the "slow release" claim? In other words, is Woodson's release really slow, or is he just holding the ball too long (or is there some other issue)? Any insight appreciated.

(Before anyone gets agitated, I just want to say I am a Woodson fan and I want him to do well. But when I hear "slow release" I think of the problems Leftwich has had.)

Comment

I'm glad these idiots think that Andre isn't that good because he'll fall to the 2nd round and the Falcons can scoop him! Then we can finally have the franchise QB we need!

Comment

Originally posted by Lab View Post
              Here's a question for those who have watched Woodson in lots of games. I think I remember Walter commenting a few months back that Woodson takes a lot of unnecessary sacks because he holds the ball looking to make a play rather than getting rid of it. Is this related to the "slow release" claim? In other words, is Woodson's release really slow, or is he just holding the ball too long (or is there some other issue)? Any insight appreciated.

(Before anyone gets agitated, I just want to say I am a Woodson fan and I want him to do well. But when I hear "slow release" I think of the problems Leftwich has had.)
              Yeah, when they do say slow release I think of Byron too. But I have watched a majority of Andre's games this year because I go to an SEC school and I just don't see his release as slow as others. He is a very calm QB and he doesn't force the ball a lot. THat's why he takes sacks. But as the season progressed he started throwing the ball away more. He's an ideal QB in imo. I'd rather have him than any other QB in the Draft. I hope the Falcons get him.

Comment

Here's a few lines from a blog discussing the QB situation in Alabama - interesting stuff for the Woodson discussion:

"I saw this interesting report from ESPN’s scout Todd McShay (it’s on ESPN.com’s pay platform, so I won’t link) from the Senior Bowl practices explaining why Kentucky’s Andre’ Woodson and other South QBs were struggling under Martz’s coaching at the practices this week. An excerpt from McShay:

“Woodson certainly deserves much of the blame for his own struggles but according to two different scouts we’ve spoken to this week new 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz is a big part of the problem as well. Martz has apparently attempted to mold Woodson, Hawaii’s Colt Brennan (Hawaii) and Tennessee’s Erik Ainge into proper fits for his system in only a four-day period. In doing so, Martz has tinkered with their footwork on drops and timing as passers. ”

"McShay goes on to explain that Martz, as we know, likes deeper routes than the usual NFL stuff–20 to 22 yards–and he wants his QBs to throw the passes quickly and accurately, well before the receivers’ break."

Comment

Here's a few lines from a blog discussing the QB situation in Alabama - interesting stuff for the Woodson discussion:

"I saw this interesting report from ESPN’s scout Todd McShay (it’s on ESPN.com’s pay platform, so I won’t link) from the Senior Bowl practices explaining why Kentucky’s Andre’ Woodson and other South QBs were struggling under Martz’s coaching at the practices this week. An excerpt from McShay:

“Woodson certainly deserves much of the blame for his own struggles but according to two different scouts we’ve spoken to this week new 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz is a big part of the problem as well. Martz has apparently attempted to mold Woodson, Hawaii’s Colt Brennan (Hawaii) and Tennessee’s Erik Ainge into proper fits for his system in only a four-day period. In doing so, Martz has tinkered with their footwork on drops and timing as passers. ”

"McShay goes on to explain that Martz, as we know, likes deeper routes than the usual NFL stuff–20 to 22 yards–and he wants his QBs to throw the passes quickly and accurately, well before the receivers’ break."

Why do they think Andre is supposed to be perfect? Of course he's gonna have a few problems. He needs NFL coaching to figure that out and he's talented and smart enough to do so. And Mike Martz is an jerk. THat's why he got fired from the Lions cuz he's always trying to force football theory of his on players!

Comment

In a similar vein, here is a link to a Sacramento Bee story making a similar point about Martz: http://www.sacbee.com/100/v-print/story/661344.html. Could it be that lots of the reports about the bad play of the South's QBs could be attributable to the pressure-cooker they've been subjected to? I'm not trashing Martz at all (he's pretty darn good at what he does), but just saying that his tough approach might have created an environment where it was hard for these QBs to look good. It seems a little odd to me that the South's QBs (Ainge, Brennan, Woodson) are all getting bad press while the North's QBs all seem to be doing well. Maybe the coaches are affecting it?

Comment

In a similar vein, here is a link to a Sacramento Bee story making a similar point about Martz: http://www.sacbee.com/100/v-print/story/661344.html. Could it be that lots of the reports about the bad play of the South's QBs could be attributable to the pressure-cooker they've been subjected to? I'm not trashing Martz at all (he's pretty darn good at what he does), but just saying that his tough approach might have created an environment where it was hard for these QBs to look good. It seems a little odd to me that the South's QBs (Ainge, Brennan, Woodson) are all getting bad press while the North's QBs all seem to be doing well. Maybe the coaches are affecting it?
                      Exactly, I've heard good things about Henne and Flacco but Woodson one of the best QB's this season is looking bad? It has to be the coaches or the media just doesn't know what they are talking about as usual

Comment

Well, seems like a lot of people would rather Woodson throw INTs like Henne and Ryan rather than take sacks. Weird world we live in. Idiotic world is more like it.

Comment

But then they keep loving Brennan like he is the best thing that happened to football! I hate the media!

Comment

Andre is going to need some work and if a team is patient with him he will become a star. But i have no clue why the hell Mike Martz thinks he can fix any QB's Release/Mechanics in a week of practice.

Comment

hmmm... welll I hope he free falls right into Atlanta's lap in the 2nd round. I liek him and think he will be a good QB for us. and if we can get Jake Long in the first he will actually have protection in a semi decent line of Long-Blalock-McClure-Forney-Wiener

Founder of ScarDraft
                              Writer for Drafttek

Comment

Working...
                              X