Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone here goes to Arcadia University (Pa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter
    replied
    Nothing - the site is my only source of revenue for now. I'll be starting more sites soon.

The presentation went pretty well. It was a class of 20, and at least half were listening to me (you know how college kids are), and I was able to speak for 55 mins.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    So what do you do for money now other than the site?

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    Originally posted by giantsfanmike View Post
    Is the site so successful that it provides you with a good enough income to concentrate on it full-time?
    Yeah, it is, but not until recently (October).

Leave a comment:

• Phil
    replied
    Is the site so successful that it provides you with a good enough income to concentrate on it full-time?
    That most likely depends on the accuracy of his picks

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    I would guess yes, because it is Walter's 9-5 job.

Leave a comment:

• giantsfanmike
    replied
    Originally posted by Walter View Post
    Long story short, it was a project for my high school internet class. When I graduated, I kept doing it as a hobby. When i switched my major to sports journalism, I used it as a resume-builder. Then, I started getting ad offers and I figured out that I could do it full-time.

As for promoting it, I link exchanged like crazy, learned and used SEO (Search Engine Optimization - I'll get into that in my speech tomorrow), passively spammed (much more effective and accepted than active spamming - I'll also get into that) and did minor things, like post bulletins in facebook/myspace, give business cards out to people, etc.

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    Link exchanges are great. BTW, make sure to LE with Walter. I get 80% of my traffic from WalterFootball.

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    Thanks man

Leave a comment:

• animal52
    replied
    Interesting stuff, on both subjects.

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    So tell us....how did you start you site and build it successfully?
    Long story short, it was a project for my high school internet class. When I graduated, I kept doing it as a hobby. When i switched my major to sports journalism, I used it as a resume-builder. Then, I started getting ad offers and I figured out that I could do it full-time.

As for promoting it, I link exchanged like crazy, learned and used SEO (Search Engine Optimization - I'll get into that in my speech tomorrow), passively spammed (much more effective and accepted than active spamming - I'll also get into that) and did minor things, like post bulletins in facebook/myspace, give business cards out to people, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Walter
    replied
    Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
    What are the main differences?
    Well, online journalists are less credible than newspaper journalists because the former can be posted almost instantly, and more people are bound to believe something if it's printed and in their hands, rather than on a computer. There are so many Web sites that post false information that people don't trust the net as much as newspapers.

Also, you have more freedom on the net if you're a writer. Unless you really offend a race, people are going to read your stuff if they like it. You probably don't have an entity governing you like you do in a newspaper. I doubt any newspaper would publish my Emmitt quotes for fear of getting sued because of lack of physical evidence that Emmitt actually said those things, even though he did.

Those are just some of the differences.

Leave a comment:

• animal52
    replied
    I don't know, that's why I'd be interested. Hopefully Walt can give us something on this subject.

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    Originally posted by animal52 View Post

I'd be most interested in "Difference between online and print journalism".
    What are the main differences?

Leave a comment:

• animal52
    replied
    That's cool. I have a friend who is a Business professor. She has invited me to speak to her class about Sales, in general and specific techniques. It's fun.

I'd be most interested in "Difference between online and print journalism".

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    I would want to see that. Can you have some one tape it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X