Bucs made right move not trading up for Calvin Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucs made right move not trading up for Calvin Johnson

Walter, how do you continue to ignore the defense? How do you continue to ignore the lack of a pass rush?

If the Bucs wanted Calvin, they woulda had to give up both 2nd rounders, which means they still have huge holes at LG (Sears) and S (Piscitelli) and DE (Adams).

Sure, Calvin Johnson is a sexy draft pick. Time to give it up man, the bucs made the right move. Sometimes, it is better to fill your depth chart with 3 very talented young players than one superstar. And in a few years I think Gaines Adams will be a superstar.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

I disagree. Calvin Johnson could emerge as the best player in that draft class. What if he becomes a great wide out like Marvin Harrison or Terrell Owens (minus the distractions?) You can't pass up on talent like that if you have a chance to get it. Plus, Johnson would sell jerseys and tickets more effectively than anyone else. Tampa Bay's passing attack is anemic. They needed Johnson.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Um, Tampa doesn't need to sell tickets Watler. Their season ticket waiting list is over 100k which rivals Green Bay.

You can pass up on that kind of talent at a steep price.

Um, DIDN'T YOU SAY THE TEXANS NEEDED REGGIE BUSH FOR THOSE SAME REASONS?

Comment

Walter,

Please make a comment on my statements regarding the needs the Bucs would still have if they traded for Calvin Johnson. Then use logic and tell me how trading for Johnson still makes sense with all of those needs still on the depth chart and that the Bucs will still be struggling to bring in a lot of young talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
          I disagree. Calvin Johnson could emerge as the best player in that draft class. What if he becomes a great wide out like Marvin Harrison or Terrell Owens (minus the distractions?) You can't pass up on talent like that if you have a chance to get it. Plus, Johnson would sell jerseys and tickets more effectively than anyone else. Tampa Bay's passing attack is anemic. They needed Johnson.
          I bet this was Mike Ditka's thought process regarding trading his entire draft for Ricky Williams.

By effective trading for Calvin Johnson, while the passing game will be better:
          1. Tampa Bay's pass rush is anemic (Gaines Adams).
          2. Tampa Bay's run blocking is anemic at LG (Aaron Sears).
          3. Tampa Bay's pass coverage/playmaking is anemic at the SS position (Sabby Piscitelli).

Please respond to everything I just mentioned and explain how in your opinion Calvin Johnson helps the pass rush, the run blocking, and the pass coverage.

Comment

Also Walter, the icing on this cake is that I think that is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read regarding the draft, you never draft a player to sell jerseys. You draft players to win football games and super bowls.
            Last edited by Matt McGuire; 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              Also Walter, the icing on this cake is that I think that is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read regarding the draft, you never draft a player to sell jerseys. You draft players to win football games and super bowls.
              If only that were true.

No... football is a business. Money comes first. Winning comes second. Just ask the Eagles.

I wish you were right. I wish football were more about winning than selling tickets and jerseys, but you're flat out wrong.
              2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Um, Tampa doesn't need to sell tickets Watler. Their season ticket waiting list is over 100k which rivals Green Bay.

You can pass up on that kind of talent at a steep price.

Um, DIDN'T YOU SAY THE TEXANS NEEDED REGGIE BUSH FOR THOSE SAME REASONS?
                LOL yeah, Bush (or Young) would look nice on that team right now
                2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

As for the needs, the Bucs have a need at receiver! A pretty big one! And not just at wide out; they need a play-maker. A guy Michael Clayton was supposed to become. Tampa Bay will once again finish in the bottom 10 in scoring and in the cellar of the NFL, because they can't put points on the board.
                  2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

LOL yeah, Bush (or Young) would look nice on that team right now
                    Yeah. VY and his 50% completion rate.

Bush and his inability to run through the tackles makes for a horrible fit in the ZBS.

Comment

As for the needs, the Bucs have a need at receiver! A pretty big one! And not just at wide out; they need a play-maker. A guy Michael Clayton was supposed to become. Tampa Bay will once again finish in the bottom 10 in scoring and in the cellar of the NFL, because they can't put points on the board.
                      As for needs, the Bucs have a need at defensive end! A pretty big one! And not just at defenisve line; they need a play-maker. Simeon Rice got injured and he's old. Tampa Bay will once again finish in the bottom 10 in sakcs and in the cellar of the NFL, because they can't generate a pass rush.

Comment

If only that were true.

No... football is a business. Money comes first. Winning comes second. Just ask the Eagles.

I wish you were right. I wish football were more about winning than selling tickets and jerseys, but you're flat out wrong.
                        ? I don't understand why you mention the eagles. I don't think Kevin Kolb would have sold nearly as many jerseys as a Dwayne Jarrett.

Also, I don't think the Eagles are worried about a problem selling tickets. Neitehr are the Bucs, or any team really in the NFL for tha tmatter. Teams are more concerned with advertisements and corporate sponsors which generate much more money for a franchise than ticket sales.

Also, If I was wrong, then the Texans would have taken VY #1 overall to sell tickets. They want to win, and if you win you will sell tickets no matter who you put on the field.

Comment

Another example, I don't think Joe Thomas is gonna exactly sell a lot of tickets. If they wanted to sell tickets than Adrian Peterson or Brady Quinn woulda been the pick at 3.

Comment

Also Walter, you failed to respond to my post asking you to make a response considering the other needs Tampa would have missed out on had they traded for Calvin Johnson.

Please make a post backing up your ideas on that situation and tehn say trading for Calvin Johnson is the smart move.

Comment

Yeah. VY and his 50% completion rate.

Bush and his inability to run through the tackles makes for a horrible fit in the ZBS.
                              It's amazing how you continue to underrate Vince Young. I can only name 5 or 6 quarterbacks I'd rather have.

LOL I think someone as dynamic as Bush would be OK in any scheme, I wouldn't worry too much about that. That's like saying "Kobe Bryant wouldn't be a good fit in the Phoenix Suns' run-and-gun offense."
                              2016 NFL Mock Draft

Comment

Working...
                              X