Cincinnati puts FT (franchise tag) on G/T Stacey Andrews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati puts FT (franchise tag) on G/T Stacey Andrews

I don't get it. Only thing I could logically say why they would do this is because they don't plan on spending a lot of money in free agency.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=354210
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

I was just about to post this, lol.

And yea apparently Karlos Dansby got franchised by the Cardinals too.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Yeah...he was worth it though. Why aren't these teams signing these guys to 2-3 year deals though?

Comment

I think it has to do with these guys wanting long term deals like 5-7 year deals. The teams don't want to give them that much money and eat up the cap for that long if on an off chance they regress or get injuried and aren't the same player. Both sides are looking out for the long term.

The teams could offer them 2-3 year deals which would work out great for the teams, but the players don't get that job security they want.

With a franchise tag they have to play for their current team for 1 more season, this gives the teams more time to work out a deal that will appease both sides, and keeping them away from other teams.

Comment

Yeah but siena everyone knows there is no job security in the NFL. You can be cut at any time...this isn't the MLB or NBA.

I would rather agree to a 3 year deal and maximize market value by being a UFA rather than be placed on the franchise tag...now this depneds apparently this is a huge jump in salary for Andrews, but for guys like Haynesworth, Jared Allen, and Dansby this is a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
            Yeah but siena everyone knows there is no job security in the NFL. You can be cut at any time...this isn't the MLB or NBA.

I would rather agree to a 3 year deal and maximize market value by being a UFA rather than be placed on the franchise tag...now this depneds apparently this is a huge jump in salary for Andrews, but for guys like Haynesworth, Jared Allen, and Dansby this is a bad deal.
            Yes matt, but this seems to be the way it is done. You tag him, then agree to the contract that you negotiate later. The tag just buys time for everybody to complete the bargaining. Otherwise, it's free agency in a couple of weeks.

Comment

You know what Matt, I'm sure lots of these players would take a 2-3 year deal if there was guarenteed money involved. This money makes it so they don't care if they are going to be cut or not, "They'is gettin paid!"

Except for Laverenus(sp?) Coles who is being a little ***** with his current 2 year deal with $11 million guarenteed. He of course isn't happy with that, and wants a long term one.

Comment

"An amazing statement about a guy who has started 17 career games, but he would have been far more rich as a free agent. Andrews will make $7.455 million with the tag. Andrews was a mammoth 6'7/342-pound project coming out of Ole Miss in 2004, but has developed into building block who can play both guard and right tackle."

rotoworld

Comment

Originally posted by bills_red View Post
                  "An amazing statement about a guy who has started 17 career games, but he would have been far more rich as a free agent. Andrews will make $7.455 million with the tag. Andrews was a mammoth 6'7/342-pound project coming out of Ole Miss in 2004, but has developed into building block who can play both guard and right tackle."

rotoworld
                  i agree with rotoworld, a bold leap of faith, that's for sure. This begs the question, if they like him so much, why not sign him to a long-term deal?

Comment

A veyy good question 49er that we may never get a strait answer to. NFL Franchises are like Jedi; too many secrets and arrogant beyond belief. So we will have to wait and see.
                    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

He's going to get what, 8 mil? This move surprises me.

Comment

Working...
                      X