Could Matt Ryan be a Jet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Matt Ryan be a Jet?

I was just thinking while looking at my mock spreadsheet...if Ryan indeed is not a top 5 pick (and it is looking more and more like that but Walter and I have known this for a very long while) what is the possibility the Jets draft him?

I mean yes they have Clemens but do you guys think they could conceivable pull the trigger? Why or why not?

Let's discuss this I don't want to be shocked by anything in the first round this year (my goal) and so I think this is an interesting topic no one is talking about.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

This brings up an interesting point that was mentioned on the ESPN football podcast by MKJ as a guest. He said that teams should always look to draft BPA in the 1st round and worry about their specific needs in the 2nd. Now this needs to be intelligently interpreted, i.e., Denver isn't going to take a franchise QB with a promising Cutler developing, nor are San Diego likely to take any corners with possibly the best CB corps in the league, but you get my gist.

Now here's the rub. I don't think Ryan will fall to 6, just based on the manlove of QBs in the draft, however if he does, would they pick him? If he falls to him, then he would almost certainly be the BPA for the Jets, so its justifiable, however there are also other very good players to be had in picks 6-10 this year. I see them ending up with Gholston.

Clemens is a different situation than Troy Smith, and he is more likely to be a successful QB in the NFL. Get him a tackle to protect him, or a good pass rusher to get the ball back to him as quickly as possible.

Comment

Manlove for QBs in the Draft? Matt Leinart, Aaron Rodgers, and Brady Quinn say hello jimmy.

I think while people loving talking QBs (including me) I think they don't realize that most teams think it is an overrated position (including me).

I also don't know if he is automatically the BPA. I mean why all this Matt Ryan manlove why do people think he is an elite prospect? I just brought it up because he is my top QB and I think the Jets considering him is possible, though not likely.

Comment

I think I like Ryan as a top prospect based on the couple of BC games that I've seen this season, which to be honest I shouldn't be doing on so little footage but sue me. I like his ability to lead the team, I like how he did so much with so little, I even like the way he doesn't run fast (makes him think more about throwing). The assumption of BPA is assuming Long, Dorsey, Long and Ellis are all snapped up in the top 5. I've really seen next-to-no Arkansas games so I don't want to comment about DMacs ability. I would have Ryan at 5 after those four. That's why I say he'd be BPA at no 6.

Comment

He did it with so little yes but against so little talent in the ACC as well.

I see your point though thanks for the comment.

Comment

Ryan is one of the top prospects in this class and the best QB. But will Jets pick him? Sure he might be the BPA if avalible at #6, but I think we can draw a comparison with the Dolphins. They have a young quarterback drafted rather early who hasn't been giving a real chance yet. Which is why I am leaning towards a no.
            Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

No, the Jets have been waiting for a while now to gracefully kick out Pennington and give the reins to Clemens. Also, if they took Ryan, you'd probably see the Jets fans rush the stage and murder the Jets GM.
              NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

Yea, here's my response to seeing the name of this thread. I slit one wrist. If this actually ever happens (it won't because Mangini and Tannenbaum have done pretty well imo in the past 2 drafts and know KC is the QB) then I slit the other one.
                WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I doubt it, they won't give up on Clemmens already
                  Walter got PWN3D
                  Rams GM

Picks
                  2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
                  33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
                  65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
                  101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami