Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While everyone is concerned about Manningham's 40 time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While everyone is concerned about Manningham's 40 time....

....has it occured to the experts here and the experts on tv that he gets deep NOT with great speed, but with great route running? I mean, he DOES get wide open quite regulary, so while I did think he would run better, I wasn't shocked like everyone else. He is able to read coverages and conceal his routes better than anyone since Larry Fitzgerald. Just an observation.
    Some random guy:

"Like I have been telling you for the past two months: The Oakland Raiders will draft Campbell."

As long as he is able to get seperation like he always did in college. I think he's got a solid pro career ahead of him.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

There also seemed to be a lot of unexpectedly high 40 times at the combine all over the board at RB and WR

I think the 40 times tat the pro days are now going to have an even large influence this year. I thing if Manningham can turn around and put up a mid to low 4.4 at his pro day scouts will completely forget that he tanked at the combine.

Not saying he will, but i just think that for alot of these kids, their pro days importance level just about tripled. And i think some people hurt their stock beyond repair. DeSean Jackson coming in below 170lbs is ridiculous and probably drops him to a 3rd round pick at best and thats a team taking a chance. Thats just to small for the NFL

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Smith View Post
        DeSean Jackson coming in below 170lbs is ridiculous and probably drops him to a 3rd round pick at best and thats a team taking a chance. Thats just to small for the NFL
        I don't care how small he his, Jackson will go in the 1st round b/c he is a big-play threat (see Bush, Reggie or Williamson, Troy).

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
          I don't care how small he his, Jackson will go in the 1st round b/c he is a big-play threat (see Bush, Reggie or Williamson, Troy).
          Soooo...what you're saying is Desean Jackson = Ted Ginn?
          "I love me some me!"

Comment

DeSean and Ginn are two totally different players. Only thing they have in common is speed, and Ginn is faster.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Ya, but you don't get wide open like that in the NFL. Look at Larry Fitzgerald now. Does he ever get wide open? No, he just has a big body and goes up to catch the ball. If you can't do that you better have some speed to get separation.

Comment

The 40 doesn't translate to NFL talent. Could Manningham have a great career? Maybe. But the 40 affected his draft stock, and that's what we're concerned about right now. Plus, his interviews sucked too.
                2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

40's are overrated
                  Walter got PWN3D
                  Rams GM

Picks
                  2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
                  33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
                  65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
                  101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
                  137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
                  168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
                  180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment

All a 40 time is, aside from an obvious measurement of speed, is a measurement of potential. Does the 40 matter? Ya, I think so, but it is weighed a little too much.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                      All a 40 time is, aside from an obvious measurement of speed, is a measurement of potential. Does the 40 matter? Ya, I think so, but it is weighed a little too much.
                      It is weighted a little much, but it is still a good test that measures speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                        The 40 doesn't translate to NFL talent. Could Manningham have a great career? Maybe. But the 40 affected his draft stock, and that's what we're concerned about right now. Plus, his interviews sucked too.
                        Yeah I think the interviews are a lot more important than the 40 time.
                        NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                          I don't get why they have everyone start in a 3 point stance. WRs used to get in stances in the 1950s, not anymore. What I think they should do is give each guy a 10-15 yard warmup head start, and once he crosses that mark, time the next 40 yds. That is more indicative of game speed I think. Oh yeah, they should also have pads on!
                          NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

Originally posted by yem123 View Post
                            Yeah I think the interviews are a lot more important than the 40 time.
                            IDK. Vince Young went top 5, and he couldn't have done that well in interviews if he got a wonderlic of 7.

Comment

Originally posted by yem123 View Post
                              I don't get why they have everyone start in a 3 point stance. WRs used to get in stances in the 1950s, not anymore. What I think they should do is give each guy a 10-15 yard warmup head start, and once he crosses that mark, time the next 40 yds. That is more indicative of game speed I think. Oh yeah, they should also have pads on!
                              Probably because it is the most efficient way to start running if you are not using starting blocks (Like the ones they use in track & field. Are they called that in english?)

The reason you wan't to see a guy run 40 from a standstill is that is approximately the length of a punt and on punts you start from a standstill. But yes, Pads would be more realistic, but that would just lead to the players tampering with the pads to get them lighter and hope to earn a few hundreds of a second...
                              Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Working...
                              X