Five, three and zero technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five, three and zero technique?

Five, three and zero technique are expressions I have heard concerning defensive linemen, but what do they mean?
    Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Ok, I got this one Leo.

It's actually numbered 0, 1, 2, 3 etc.

Each position refers to where you line up in relation to the o-line, not as I originally thought where 3-technique was a 3 move technique to beat a lineman.

So, 0-technique, line up opposite center, 1, on the center's shoulder, 2 opposite guard, 3 guard's outside shoulder, 4, tackle, 5, tackle shoulder.

Then there are terms for 6 & 7 (TE), and 8 & 9, (TE2).

The higher the number the more outside you are, and it doesn't matter if you are on the strong or weak side, the numbers stay the same. I think they use a similar system for linebackers that involves double digits.

It's basically a way for fancy draftniks to sound intelligent, instead of saying "I think Sedrick Ellis could play nose tackle in a 3-4" you say "He's good at the zero technique." Or, "Frank Okam is too fat or slow" you say "He's not good at the 3-technique."

Does that make any sense?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyp View Post
      Ok, I got this one Leo.

It's actually numbered 0, 1, 2, 3 etc.
      Ah, I think I've only seen zero, three and five mentioned.

Originally posted by jimmyp View Post
      Does that make any sense?
      Sure does.

Thanks!
      Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

It can actually get more indepth than that.

Imagine a line in front of the O-line and on that line there are numbers from 0 to 9 going to the left and right (0 being head up over the center).

1 - on the Guards inside shoulder
        2 - head up on the guard
        3 - on the Guards outside shoulder
        4 - on the Tackles inside shoulder
        5 - headup on the tackle
        6 - on the tackles outside shoulder
        7 - on the TE's inside shoulder
        8 - headup on the TE
        9 - outside of the TE

Then you have gaps which are A, B, C, and D gap

A gap - between the Center and Guard
        B gap - between the Guard and Tackle
        C gap - between the Tackle and TE (or just outside the T if no TE)
        D gap - outside the TE

There are some minor variances depending on who you talk to. But that is pretty much it.
        "I love me some me!"

Comment

You know I was a coach and I NEVER used the fancy 0-7 technique crap. Now the gaps are easy though. Then to I was an O-Lineman and had it drilled into my head daily.

I just figure it is easier to say "Red Bryant can play the Zero Technique" rather than saying "Red Bryant can play head up over the Center". It doesnt take as long to write up or take up as much space on the scouts page.
          If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
          Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

I assistant coach in summer camps and stuff at my old highschool and we make all the kids (DBs included) learn their gaps. Techniques are bonus, but they are mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Warpig View Post
              It can actually get more indepth than that.

Imagine a line in front of the O-line and on that line there are numbers from 0 to 9 going to the left and right (0 being head up over the center).

1 - on the Guards inside shoulder
              2 - head up on the guard
              3 - on the Guards outside shoulder
              4 - on the Tackles inside shoulder
              5 - headup on the tackle
              6 - on the tackles outside shoulder
              7 - on the TE's inside shoulder
              8 - headup on the TE
              9 - outside of the TE

Then you have gaps which are A, B, C, and D gap

A gap - between the Center and Guard
              B gap - between the Guard and Tackle
              C gap - between the Tackle and TE (or just outside the T if no TE)
              D gap - outside the TE

There are some minor variances depending on who you talk to. But that is pretty much it.

As a former d-lineman, I can attest this is accurate!
              NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

There are 2 and 4 techniques (Ravens use them in their scheme...2 and 4 techs used in 46 defenses) but very rare now in the NFL.
                2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

The Eagles, Bears, and Raiders also mix them in.

Comment

a guy like frank okam is probably more like a 0,1, and 2 technique, all at the same time. god that guy is fat.

Comment

Yea. Offensive line is critical to know gaps. Defense it depends on how complicated the defense is. In some collages and the pro's I figure they use them. I never did camps so I dont know that they would want that. I dont know.
                      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

I thought Okam was going to snap his ankles at the agility drills.

Comment

In camps you don't go full pads so you pretty much just have to talk about techs and holes.

Comment

Technique and basics are my specialty. Conditioning and strength as well.

Comment

I don't think Okam can play 0 technique at all ... he doesn't play with the leverage to be able to.
                              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Working...
                              X