X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browns Trade

Joey you gonna like this I think:

Packers' Williams headed to Cleveland
    Packers defensive end Corey Williams was surprised a week ago when he was slapped with the franchise tag. All it meant was that he was going to a new franchise. Once the trade deadline begins, Williams is reportedly going to the Browns for a draft choice -- possibly a second-rounder -- and sign a lucrative six-year deal.

Williams was hoping to hit the free-agent market, but the Packers decided to protect themselves from losing him without compensation. The franchise tag bought the Packers time to see if there was a market for a talented defensive tackle on a team deep at the position.

Williams is expected to sign a deal worth more than $6 million a year when he gets to the Browns, who have been looking to upgrade their defensive line. The early reports are that he will get a six-year, $38 million contract, but there was no conformation that those numbers were correct.
    -- John Clayton,
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Hooray!!!! win/win, I declare. hopefully a second and fourth or something along those lines to equate to a first rounder.

Comment

holy **** is this for real? I had no idea he would ever fit a 3-4 defense omg Browns iz so stupid lol
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

matt, he also plays some end.

Comment

Corey Williams is a young hot comodity. He will be a great building block for the Browns defensive line.
          If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
          Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Okay I overreacted ... but he could be a product of the talent around him in Green Bay ... could Browns have waited for Williams to not be signed by GB then they swoop in for the kill?

Comment

No, he had a franchise tag on him?

Comment

Yeah but a FT doesn't mean he is guaranteed a contract ... just buys the team time and then they can put a monster tender on him (2 first round picks)

Comment

I thought a franchise tag was a 1 year contract.

Comment

If he isnt signed by another team for the designated pick(s) it is for 1 year at the top 5 salary for that position.
                    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

no it does likely end in a one year deal (so it gets misunderstood) ... like remember briggs almost held out altogether with the franchise tag it guarantees no deal ... it guarantees the team can sign the player for a certain amount the time ... god damn I don't know it 100% here is the wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

If the designated franchise player elects to play for the team that designated him with the franchise tag, and does not negotiate a contract with another team his one year salary is guaranteed.

I also got confused with the franchise tag but this clears up where I thought a team could give the player a long term deal (but only when another team has an offer sheet and the franchise team matches it...thats where I was confused my bad)

Types of franchise tags
                      There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
                      A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
                      It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player.

Comment

I was under the same assumption you guys were before (about 1 year contracts and franchise tags) but then i heard something on ESPN that confused me (go figure)

Comment

i know he was a lot more productive before jolly and cole got hurt and he ended up taking a lot more snaps. all those body punches of full time play really wear out guys of his style. good young player though for sure.

Comment

when is this shiznit supposed to be going down? shouldn't it have happened already? how is that going to affect the mocks...interesting. They can get Dustin Keller AND John Carlson.

Comment

It's all a b*tch. At least the most confusing thing in the NBA is the Larry Bird Exemption. Hell, NFL is complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X