Hot Under the Collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Under the Collar

I've decided the reason why so many footballers struggle in warm, humid, southern conditions. It because they are fatty, fatty fat fats. Even apart from lineman, a lot of guys are just carrying excess bulk that isn't muscle and doesn't allow there bodies to cool properly.

Very few sportsmen here have those sorts of problems, but then again very few players are over 220lbs, with most less than 200. NFL players are athletic, but most are not "athletes".

Which leads me to the reason for my post.

Who is the heaviest NFL starter at the moment? I'm betting on a guard.

I'm guessing but leonard davis has got to be up high on the list.
    www.Elemental-Designs.com

Comment

Were we justing trying to get that off your chest. Was that bothering you for a while or something???
      Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

NFL.com has him at 354.

This could be a Wunderlic test question next year:
        DeSean Jackson who weighs 169 pounds is running full speed into Leonard Davis (354 pounds). How many bones does he break?
        A - 6
        B - 12
        C - None, because Davis' fat acts like a car airbag
        D - Leonard Davis likes his meat deboned as he keeps choking whenever he eats wings.

Comment

Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
          Were we justing trying to get that off your chest. Was that bothering you for a while or something???
          Well I am here in Australia were summer's just finished and I realised that I never really hear about athletes suffering from heat related conditions, even though the mercury often gets above 100oF.

Comment

Well, Dr. J, I'll submit "Big Baby" Shaun Rogers who the Lions just dumped onto the Browns as the fattest of the fat. He was at about 375 and couldn't play half the game without getting winded.

You bring up a good point though... why is it that these obviously fat guys with huge bellies are actually preferred to be that way? I guess that if you can train a guy to carry an extra 100 pounds but do so with power you acually have a powerful and effective athlete. I mean, these teams are not stupid yet they encourage it.

There must be some justification. When they bring American football down under, maybe you can study it more closely.

Comment

I think when Korey Stringer died (dude had an insane body temp of 108 degrees when he died), teams became much more aware of heatstroke affecting the big guys...teams have probably become much more effective at preventing heat-related problems or being smarter about it at least.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyp View Post
                Well I am here in Australia were summer's just finished and I realised that I never really hear about athletes suffering from heat related conditions, even though the mercury often gets above 100oF.
                I doubt anyone would have a heat related injury during a game. Games are actually a lot easier than practice I'd say. In practice you working for hours straight.
                Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Working...
                X