Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd McFraud on WR class

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=3243768

Good article, but my criticism always is with this guy that if there isn't a negative buzz about a prospect (see Andre Woodson) then he doesn't call out any player for their faults. It is all positivity in that article and quite frankly I think it is bull****. Probably a third of these prospects are going to flat out bust in this league and McFraud just seems to think every single one is going to have a solid career.

Anyways, after my next blog update (about Aaron Rodgers and 2005 Draft ... one of my more favorite blogs I have written so far) I'm going to discuss a few draft mags I just bought.

Lets just say I HIGHLY suggest you pick up the new Pro Football Weekly draft mag. Well worth the price tag of $8-9 and I rarely ever say that about these expensive mags. Great material and I like the scouting reports, though I don't agree with all of them. I'll get more on that later in the week with my blog.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

I'll pick that mag up for sure. I agree he's not a real "draftnik" b/c he can't say anything bad about anyone.

Comment

I've always liked The Sporting News stuff.
      "I love me some me!"

Comment

Last 2 mags I have read from Sporting News I didnt' like imo. I remember last year they had Brady Quinn going in the 3rd round.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Last 2 mags I have read from Sporting News I didnt' like imo. I remember last year they had Brady Quinn going in the 3rd round.
          Yikes! It's been a while since I've read one. I liked their NFL articles better. I've never liked Sports Illustrated and the silly "Dr. Z".
          "I love me some me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Warpig View Post
            Yikes! It's been a while since I've read one. I liked their NFL articles better. I've never liked Sports Illustrated and the silly "Dr. Z".
            Dr. Z did predict the Giants to win the superbowl
            NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

Originally posted by yem123 View Post
              Dr. Z did predict the Giants to win the superbowl
              He had a lucky dart that landed on the Giants when he was making his picks.
              "I love me some me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Warpig View Post
                He had a lucky dart that landed on the Giants when he was making his picks.
                Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Yeah I LOVE the Sporting News magazine. It is my fave I need to look into getting a subscription.

Comment

Well, imo I think you did like them, lol.

DAK
                    "I'm coming for you Murdock"

sigpic

Comment

Hey, I'm curious what you guys think of Lavelle Hawkins. I haven't heard anybody talk about this guy on any forum board or sports talk show that I've observed. I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but the bit that I have seen this guy seems explosive. Maybe not as explosive as his college teammate Jackson, but Hawkins looked absolutely great in the Sr. Bowl. Going off of just that one performance (having not much else to base any opinion on) I'd like to see my Hawks take a flyer on this guy in the later rounds. I'm also curious what round you all project he'll go in and what your ovearall opinions are of him since I don't have the full facts.

DAK

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dumb Azz Kracka View Post
                        Hey, I'm curious what you guys think of Lavelle Hawkins. I haven't heard anybody talk about this guy on any forum board or sports talk show that I've observed. I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but the bit that I have seen this guy seems explosive. Maybe not as explosive as his college teammate Jackson, but Hawkins looked absolutely great in the Sr. Bowl. Going off of just that one performance (having not much else to base any opinion on) I'd like to see my Hawks take a flyer on this guy in the later rounds. I'm also curious what round you all project he'll go in and what your ovearall opinions are of him since I don't have the full facts.

DAK
                        Lavelle Hawkins is one of my sleepers and will be in part 2 of my blog entry on sleepers (coming eventually). Hawkins did look great in the Senior Bowl, but as a Bay Area resident, I can assure you he did well at Cal and impressed me there as well. He has good speed and is (as you alluded to), somewhat of a poor man's DeSean Jackson. He could use some work on his release, and he won't go as high as he should thanks to the fact that he was facing college's #2 receivers, but he has the talent to become a solid WR. He should go in the mid-rounds (anywhere from low 2 to high 4).

Comment

Well, all I can say is from watching the Sr. Bowl I kept saying to myself that the two most impressive players, hands down, were Cromartie and Hawkins. Each of them made the other players look like a bunch of punk b*tches. I can't recall how many great plays he made in that game. I try not to base an opinion or get too hyped up on a player on one game as way too many factors can attribute to his stellar or poor play, but just watching some of the agilic (word? ha) catches he made was amazing. He seems like he'd fit perfectly in the WCO as a replacement for the eventual retirement of Engram...in about 15 years. Every year I pick a couple sleepers that I hope the Hawks pick and so far I've been so-so in my predictions of their talent.

Over the last couple years I remember talking on the Seattle Times board that I hope they selected Michael Boulware and put him at SS. This was during the college season, so that was a little spooky when he actually got switched to SS and was drafted by the Hawks, although that pick turned out to be garbage. Another couple sleeper picks I wanted the Hawks to get was Pat Watkins out of FSU and Antonio Cromartie, but the Cromartie situation was way before he flew up the draft boards. At the time I was calling for him he was projected as a 4th rounder. 2 out of 3 aint so bad is it?

Maybe this year I'll have Hawkins as my sleeper guy.

DAK

sigpic

Comment

I've read a lot of negatitvity about Hawkins in the 2 draft mags I bought, but from the games I have seen him play and what I re-watched on film I think he has a lot of good qualities. Explosive after the catch, improved concentration, got better as a route runner from junior to senior year. Still has a ways to go though he needs to get more physical and be more consistent.

Comment

I've read a lot of negatitvity about Hawkins in the 2 draft mags I bought, but from the games I have seen him play and what I re-watched on film I think he has a lot of good qualities. Explosive after the catch, improved concentration, got better as a route runner from junior to senior year. Still has a ways to go though he needs to get more physical and be more consistent.
                              He isn't incredible right now, but he can improve. He does need to be more physical for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X