Dan's Mock Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan's Mock Draft

I'll eventually have something up that will go through the first four, five rounds. Right now, it's only the first round. Comments/praises/insults are welcome.

Miami Dolphins - Chris Long (DE)
    - Long has basically everything. Incredibly talented, great 3-4 pass rusher, and he has the genetic background in his favor. Chris Long has enormous expectations thanks to his dad, and the Dolphins will take him here, if Sparano plans on implementing a Dallas-style 3-4 defense.

St. Louis Rams - Glenn Dorsey (DT)
    - Jake Long is a completely viable option, but Orlando Pace might be healthy and last through 2008, meaning that Long wouldn't be as valuable as before. The Rams' defensive line sucks, and drafting Dorsey would allow Carriker to move back to defensive end, where he is more accustomed to. Dorsey might be injury prone, but he's so dominant when he plays, it may not matter here.

Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan (QB)
    - How bad is it when your QB stable includes two former first round picks and a man who was selling insurance a year ago, and the latter is your most effective QB? Quite. Chris Redman is the closest thing to an answer that the Falcons had, but that's not saying a hell of a lot. Matt Ryan might not be as physically awesome as some other prospects, but his leadership is unparalelled, and will be the QB of the future for Atlanta.

I can't see Brohm going to the Falcons later. He's from Louisville. Woodson and Flacco are raw, but have great upside. Henne couldn't complete 60% of his passes at Michigan, and he has some character issues that I learned from 2nd hand sources. Ryan is the only QB I can see the Falcons drafting to play immediately.

Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden (RB)
    - They've got the #1 selection from last year, JaMarcus Russell, who shows sparks of potential. They have Justin Fargas, but no matter how good Fargas is, can you compare him to McFadden? The answer is a resounding no. Presuming no trading occurs, the Raiders will jump for joy for having the best overall talent in the 2008 draft.

Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long (OT)
    - The Chiefs allowed 55 sacks last year. Brodie Croyle looks like he's about as durable as a clay doll. They need to fix this if they want any chance to be in the playoffs.

New York Jets - Vernon Gholston (DE)
    - They signed basically everyone with half a pulse this offseason, as it seems. It might not have been the best idea, but either way, the Jets still could use an impact pass rusher.

New England Patriots - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB)
    - You think the Patriots like the idea of drafting a 6'1" cornerback with 4.3 speed and incredible production? Asante Samuel and Randall Gay are gone. Cromartie will cause more turnovers than McKelvin, and they already do have quality return men.

Baltimore Ravens - DeSean Jackson (WR)
    - Troy Smith didn't do bad (79.5 passer rating, fumbled twice, lost once) in his short audition for the Ravens. He could do better if he had quality weapons to throw to, such as DeSean Jackson. Jackson's returning abilities rank near Devin Hester and Ted Ginn, and his recieving skills are superior to both of theirs.

Bengals - Sedrick Ellis (DT)
    - They need someone who can help stop the run. Sedrick Ellis does that, and a ton more for the Bengals, who need upgrades everywhere in the defense.

Saints - Reggie Smith (CB/FS)
    - Reggie Smith plays anywhere in the secondary, which is great news for the Saints, who need players everywhere in the secondary.

Bills - Phillip Merling (DE)
    - A bit early for Merling, but I can't see any other need for the Bills. They got Bryant Johnson, rending Malcolm Kelly pointless. They also signed Kawika Mitchell, rendering Keith Rivers pointless.

Broncos - Ryan Clady (OT)
    - They need defensive linemen, but Balmer isn't worth a 12th overall selection. Clady should be able to defend Cutler's backside for a long time.

Panthers - Jonathan Stewart (RB)
    - Anyone think DeAngelo Williams can carry a season's work? Yeah. Me neither.

Bears - Jeff Otah (OT)
    - I can't believe that Grossman and Orton BOTH got resigned. That rules out a QB for at least the first two rounds. On the other side, I can't see them spending another 1st round pick on a RB, after they saw what happened to Benson. Otah makes sense here.

Lions - Keith Rivers (OLB)
    - Great value here, and they just released Boss Bailey. The Lions could use a playmaker for a change.

Cardinals - Leodis McKelvin (CB)
    - McKelvin falls behind Cromartie because I think Cromartie's a better pure CB, and Smith is more versatile than McKelvin is. If this happens, the Cardinals will visit a church, synogauge, and a mosque, because they owe someone a massive amount of prayer and thanks.

Vikings - Derrick Harvey (DE)
    - They need someone to replace Udeze after his diagnosis of Leukemia. It's not pretty, but it's the truth. Don't be surprised if Mike Jenkins goes here.

Texans - Rashard Mendenhall (RB)
    - They could go with Cason, but the Texans will take their chances with Jacques Reeves, it looks like. Mendenhall has tremendous power and may actually go to the Cardinals instead.

Eagles - Chris Williams (OT)
    - Winston Justice probably won't be starting anytime soon, considering how he performed in Week 4 vs. the Giants. Williams provides a boost to an aging offensive line.

Bucs - Malcolm Kelly (WR)
    - You think the Buccaneers could pass up Kelly at this point? I know that Galloway is a burner, but they can pick up a replacement for him if they want to later on.

Redskins - Limas Sweed (WR)
    - Limas Sweed is a large, fast reciever. Campbell needs a large target to throw to.

Cowboys - Devin Thomas (WR)
    - Their replacement for the ancient Terry Glenn. Thomas is 6'2", 210, and ran a 4.32 in the combine. He's definitely first round material.

Steelers - Carl Nicks (OT)
    - 47 sacks for the regular season. A handful more during the playoffs. They just lost their best lineman. The Steelers might spend their first three picks on offensive linemen, as far as I'm concerned.

Titans - James Hardy (WR)
    - The Titans need someone who's worth throwing the ball to. Vince Young might be a horrible passer, but we've never gotten a chance to see how good he is with actual recievers around him.

Seahawks - Branden Albert (OG)
    - They probably won't take Felix Jones or Jamaal Charles here, considering they just signed two RB's. Don't know why they did that, but oh well. Albert is a good player, who will replace the hole that Hutchinson left open a year ago.

Jaguars - Lawrence Jackson (DE)
    - I'm sure the entire city of Jacksonville will riot if another 1st round WR is taken. Jackson will replace McCray here.

Chargers - Kenny Phillips (S)
    - They just cut McCree, so drafting a replacement makes sense.

Cowboys - Mike Jenkins (CB)
    - Well, depth in the secondary isn't exactly a strength of America's Team, is it?

Packers - Fred Davis (TE)
    - Despite a bad combine, Davis is the receiving threat that Rodgers could really use as a safety valve.

Giants - Antoine Cason (CB)
    - A turnover happy cornerback who can also do punt return duties. His best game was against then #2 Oregon. Granted, his pick-6 was against Brady Leaf, but you can't say that Dixon's injury influenced his punt return for a TD.
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Mayock said Phillip Merling weakness is pass-rushing so no to him.

Comment

If either Kenny Phillips or Reggie Smith are available at pick 31 we simply cannot pass on them. A starting safety duo of Sammy Knight and James Butler/Michael Johnson, no thanks.

Cason I would be happy with if both were off the board.

Comment

No chance on the Desean pick. Figurs is a capable return guy so the returner value can be thrown out the window. If Long dropped that much I'd be suprised. Love the Packers, Eagles, and Steelers picks.

Comment

Bills_red: I'm not sure if you recall, but the Bills didn't exactly have a dominating run defense either in 2007. Merling's primarily a run stopper, but he's also perfectly capable of generating pressure.

giantsfanmike: I'll agree, Reggie Smith and Kenny Phillips would both take precedence over Cason. Corey Webster might also make a serviceable safety if we needed to, now that I think about it.

Flounder87: I don't see Brohm being taken at #8. I'm not entirely sold they're going to spend a first round pick on a cornerback, considering they still have two older starters, so they will probably go with a CB in the 3rd or 4th round they could groom for the position. Most of Baltimore's receivers are bigger guys, so a smaller speed burner makes sense. Out of those, Jackson's the best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens trade down though. I also think Troy Smith has the ability to become a starting quarterback in the league. You won't see anything spectacular out of him, but he probably won't kill your team with mistakes. In his starts, he didn't throw an interception. I don't think he lost a fumble either. That's more than we can say out of the other rookie starters.
          Last edited by Blazedestin; 03-10-2008, 07:04 PM. Reason: Forgot a line of thought I wanted to pursue.
          - Also known as Dan.
          - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by bills_red View Post
            Mayock said Phillip Merling weakness is pass-rushing so no to him.
            He is primarily a run-stopping DE. May**** is correct.

Comment

Otah will not go ahead of Chris Williams. Has the entire world forgotten about Donald Lee? You're not the first to give Davis to GB, but it's not a good pick. McCarthy likes TEs, but he needs to draft a CB badly, and Cason is still available.

Comment

Round Two

Dolphins - Terrell Thomas (CB)
                - Yeah, the Dolphins need just about everything. Thomas plays three positions (Though one of them is supplemented by Ted Ginn).

Rams - Calais Campbell (DE)
                - Someone to play across from Leonard Little. Campbell, if he pans out, will be an absolute monster. Desperate for pass rushers, the Rams will gamble and reach for him here.

Raiders - Dre Moore (DT)
                - I'd like to point out that Warren Sapp retired. It's not like he was that much of a benefit anymore anyway. Dre Moore's 4.88 40 time vaults him ahead of Pat Sims.

Chiefs - Chilo Rachal (OG)
                - A bit early again, but the Chiefs need help on their offensive line BAD. Other prospects, such as Sam Baker and Gosder Cherlius, weren't as big and are more suited for zone blocking.

Jets - Sam Baker (OT)
                - I know that they signed Damien Woody to a titanic contract, but does anyone here really think he's the answer?

Falcons - Gosder Cherlius (OT)
                - They're going to need a guy to protect Matt Ryan's blindside for the next year or two.

Ravens - Tracy Porter (CB)
                - Apparently, Chris McAllister and Samari Rolle can't cover anymore.

49'ers - Early Doucet (WR)
                - This is slightly late for Doucet, but his string of injuries has to be concerning. If he's healthy, Doucet is the best small reciever in the class. If not, he's useless. The 49'ers are desperate enough to take the risk here on him. Alex Smith needs quality targets.

Saints - Dan Connor (MLB)
                - The Saints collectively throw a celebration during the draft when it's their turn to pick. Connor, who probably would have gone in the early 20's in any other year, is available here for the Saints.

Bills - Chris Johnson (RB)
                - Without any players of need worth taking here, the Bills can go with the BPA, which to me is Chris Johnson. If he never does anything for them besides return punts and kickoffs, he's still probably worth the 2nd round pick. A 4.24 40 time does a lot for your standing.

Broncos - Kentwan Balmer (DT)
                - The Broncos couldn't stop the run at all last season.

Panthers - DaJuan Morgan (FS)
                - A replacement for Mike Minter after his retirement.

Bears - Jordy Nelson (WR)
                - Berrian and Muhammad both walked on the Bears. They've got.... Devin Hester at WR. Yep.

Lions - Felix Jones (RB)
                - If the Lions could actually run the ball, maybe they wouldn't have to rely on Jon Kitna's arm so often. Negative yards vs. the Cardinals? That's embarassing.

Bengals - Xavier Adibi (OLB)
                - The Bengals' linebackers are ineffective and often injured. Adibi should be a massive improvement.

Vikings - Andre Caldwell (WR)
                - The Vikings need weapons for their QB, whoever it is, to throw to.

Falcons - Brad Cottam (TE)
                - A titanic TE with speed. The Falcons released Alge Crumpler, so they'll need someone to block and catch passes. Maybe both simultaneously.

Eagles - Erin Henderson (OLB)
                - They've got plenty in the secondary, but not many linebackers.

Cardinals - Ray Rice (RB)
                - Edgerrin James is approaching 30, and it's unlikely he has much left in the tank. Rice is a quality RB who could split carries with James for the first season or two.

Redskins - Anthony Collins (OT)
                - Memo to Redskins: Your starting tackles are old. Fix this if you want your first round pick in 2005 to have a chance.

Buccaneers - Eddie Royal (WR)
                - This was literally a coin flip between Joe Flacco and Eddie Royal. Both will be able to learn from veterans. Both will be positions of need in a few seasons. Buccaneers could go either way.

Steelers - Roy Schuening (OG)
                - Alan Faneca's leaving and the Steelers need replacements anyway. Another pick on a lineman.

Titans - William Franklin (WR)
                - The Titans need more recievers. Spending all their picks on people who can catch might not be the worst idea.

Seahawks - Martellus Bennett (TE)
                - Question: When was the last time the Seahawks had a reliable recieving TE?

Packers - Erin Henderson (OLB)
                - Not a big need, but who cares? Not a lot of players at this point are better.

Dolphins - Pat Sims (DT)
                - The Dolphins need someone to stop the run rather badly.

Jaguars - Trevor Laws (DT)
                - They could use some depth at defensive tackle, given some of the trades they've made.

Colts - Mike Pollak (OC)
                - Jeff Saturday is what, 32 or 34? One of those even ages that starts with a "3". Pollak could be his replacement. Until then, he could fill in for Jake Scott, who just left.

Cowboys - Gosder Cherlius (OT)
                - The offensive line for the Cowboys is aging, though they're still effective. Cherlius adds depth and talent to the line.

Packers - Patrick Lee (CB)
                - The Packers need young replacements for Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

Patriots - Terrance Wheatley (CB)
                - They replaced Asante Samuel. They also need to replace Randall Gay, who was one of the better nickelbacks in the league.

Giants - Josh Barrett (SS)
                - I'm pretty sure that Barrett could play at free safety, too. A 4.35 40 time goes a long way there. At the least, if he threatens to unseat Michael Johnson there, it will motivate the Wildcat to work harder. Losing your job to a Sun Devil? The shame.
                Last edited by Blazedestin; 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM.
                - Also known as Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                  Bills_red: I'm not sure if you recall, but the Bills didn't exactly have a dominating run defense either in 2007. Merling's primarily a run stopper, but he's also perfectly capable of generating pressure.
                  We run a Tamp 2 buddy so the #1 thing our DE's need to do is????? pass-rush.

"Chris Johnson (RB)
                  - Without any players of need worth taking here, the Bills can go with the BPA, which to me is Chris Johnson. If he never does anything for them besides return punts and kickoffs, he's still probably worth the 2nd round pick. A 4.24 40 time does a lot for your standing"

No, no, no, no
                  Heard of McGee????? Heard of Parrish???? BAD pick, not a need at all KR/PR or RB

Comment

Merling had 7 sacks last year. He can rush the passer.
                    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Merling is a great all around DE. The best all around DE aside from Long in this class.

Comment

Merling's weakness isn't pass rushing he is a very good pass rusher ... his biggest knock is his pass rush cuz he is such a complete player. He can play RDE or LDE in this league adn he is a good fit for the bills
                        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                          Merling's weakness isn't pass rushing he is a very good pass rusher ... his biggest knock is his pass rush cuz he is such a complete player. He can play RDE or LDE in this league adn he is a good fit for the bills
                          Well I never saw him play and Mike said that was his weakness.

Comment

You had Chilo Rachal going to the Chiefs and the colts in round 2

Comment

No way steelers take O-lineman back to back in rd 1-2

Comment

Working...
                              X