Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting e-mail from John Walters (trade rumor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting e-mail from John Walters (trade rumor)

THE BLOCKBUSTER TRADE OF THE SEASON?
    It's time to show 'em or fold 'em. The 2008 NFL Draft awaits. I believe that trades shall be on the increase in the 08 season with the new CAP space and a limited few FA products on the market.
    Two teams that have needs going in the opposite directions for the time being are Atlanta and the NE. Pats. New Atlanta GM Tom Dimitroff is fresh from the N.E. organization and has a wealth of knowledge about some of the Pats roster that could help the rebuilding Falcons.
    The Pats need a CB and some linebacker help. The Falcons need a QB and OT and perhaps a FS. Mostly the Falcons need to get some young studs to build on. They have the #3 pick in this years draft, but what if they could procure the #7 pick as well? It’s expensive, but two "blue chippers" would help the box office as well and new enthusiasm for a beleaguered franchise. The N.E Pats own that #7 choice (how do they do that?) and they would consider a trade there.
    In my humble opinion, the new Dolphins honcho Parcells will have to go with QB Matt Ryan if he cannot trade the pick. The price tag on the #1 pick is an enormous rip-off for someone never playing an NFL down and that should be changed (another story for some other time). After last years Miami draft debacle, he cannot afford a slip up because the Phins fans will revolt. He has no choice. He has no QB anyway. This will be similar to the Bledsoe pick back in the Pats era and he did not turn out so bad, with at least two SB appearances for Drew while with the Pats. He was a decent QB pick. Matt Ryan is more mobile and has the same leadership qualities. McCown is a journeyman and maybe a stopgap until Ryan is ready (like he was with Russell). The Tuna has to take Ryan unless Chris Long can play QB.
    So for the Falcons, Matt "Ice" Ryan will be off the board. O.K., now what? Dimitroff knows what that QB answer could be. Another Matt could be available. The answer also has a year of NFL experience under his belt, little that there was. His name is Matt Gutierrez. Taken as a free agent out of Idaho State, Matt was slated as a starter for powerhouse Michigan until an injury. He decided to transfer for his senior year, as his spot was taken by this year’ Michigan NFL Draftee Chad Henne. Matt finished his senior year at Idaho State throwing for 2,237 yards (out doing Hennes’ senior stats) and 16 touchdowns despite being under constant pressure (sound familiar Falcons fans?). He was scouted and targeted by the Pats (Dimitroff) and signed as a FA to the surprise of many when he didn’t get drafted. Gutierrez would have been a top five QB if drafted this year. Many people will attest to the fact that Matt would move up the chart to be the #2 QB of the Patriots behind Mr. Brady in 08. He got more snaps than yet the other Matt, "Cassel" in 07. At 6’ 4" and 230 Gutierrez has the size and "pro" arm the Falcons could use. His cost for Mr. Blank will also be way less than a Matt Ryan. This could be a great move. Dimitroff likes Gutierrez and knows what he is getting.
    What else is available from the Pats? 28 year old OT Nick Kaczur has started 20 of 25 regular-season games in his two-year NFL career and has also started four career playoff contests. A right side OT in N.E., it has been felt that the 6’ 4" 315 lb. Kaczur maybe a better left tackle but the Pats had All-Pro Matt Light playing there. He is at his best in the running game and with new RB Michael Turner, he could be a steal for the Falcons style offense if the Pats will let him go. The Pats have Ryan O’Callaghan in the wings at RT who might be a slightly better pass blocker and fit for the N.E. spread type offense. Kaczur could be had for the right price.
    Now what do the Pats want? They need a CB and have a preference for well experienced LBs rather than drafting rookies there. First the CB. That would have to be the emotional DeAngelo Hall who is on his last year of contract. If (and only if) the Pats could sign an extension with him for reasonable dollars, this deal could work. Hall sees former Pats CB Samuel getting over $9mm on paper. If the Pats could get Hall for close to what the Franchised CB price was last year ($7.6mm) they could be interested. I think that the low $8mm range would get it done long term with some incentives that the Hall camp would accept. The Pats won’t go $9mm or they keep Samuel. How much will the unproven Matt Ryan get if he is the #1 pick? Would Hall accept less to go to N.E. on a long term deal rather than waiting another year for FA? He would probably be franchised in 08 anyway. So now you’re stuck with a rebuilding Falcons team and SB and playoff money could be made with the Pats. It’s not really more but sounds better on your "Hall of Fame" resume if you make good there.
    The Pats now get a more physical Hall with 70 tackles versus Samuel’s’ 44 tackles. Hall is also three years younger. The talent is about the same if not, I feel Hall that has more size and might have more upside. Belichick likes DBs that can tackle. His blow-ups against Petrino might have not been completely wrong. Anyway, as a N.E. Pat, a 24-year-old player will not be required to be team leader and club house spokesperson.
    Piece two would be Keith Brooking. The 08 $10mm salary owed is not going to happen and he could be CAP cut unless he restructures. He was miss-used as a 4-3 MLB in 07 but he has the flexibility, smarts and experience that the Pats like and they run a 3-4 which could fit Brooking at ILB or he could go outside and they bring Vrabel in. He still had a really decent finish to the year and would give the Pats options and better LB pass coverage than Seau or Bruschi this year. The Pats would not have to count on a draft choice at LB to start. This is definitely against the Belichick school of thought. Brooking would have to agree to restructure and perhaps a two-year contract with NE and Seau type money will get it done. Now Brooking has a chance for a SB ring as well. A nice parting gift, right Johnny? …Right, you are!… These are two pieces of that puzzle that the Pats would entertain.
    The deal?
    Brooking and Hall and the Falcons second round choice #37 for the Pats first round #7 and Gutierrez and Kaczur. Now the Falcons could go OT with Jake Long or perhaps DT Ken Dorsey or DE/OLB Vernon Gholston in a tandem to help the anemic pass rush. How about this? Grab McFadden at the #3 choice and sell him to the highest draft day bidder and pick up some more choices. You still have a good #7 pick from the Pats to leverage what you do. The Cowboys may just bite with two #1 picks. How about the ‘Boys first #1 this year, their #2 and their #2 in 09? The Falcons can’t be built up just in one year. This could be a solid move for them for many years and a no panic QB choice.
    The Pats will still go CB and LB with a couple of twos and threes in the draft, but the urgency to produce right now for those kids is tempered. Those position choices are many and the draft is well stocked there. I think Cason could be had in the second round at #37 or Talib. I think they go safety as James Sanders is a liability on pass defense and very slow. Watch those tapes. He’s o.k., but only as a back up. He made CB Hobbs look bad a few times in 07. They could go BC’s playmaker SS Jamie Silva late (4th or 5th) as an upgrade. Then the new SS addition of Tank Williams will have to be judged if he can come back from his leg injury. He has the size and the speed could come back if he is healed. I also like ASU SS Josh Barrett with 4.34 speed at 223 lbs. in the late third. I like ILB J. Lehman from Illinois in the 4th. He’s a cerebral Belichick type pick who is a tackle machine ala Zach Thomas. They will have to go OT depth if the trade is done but the Pats like their OL guys coming from the mid-rounds. A talented blocking tight end could be had such as Nevada’s Adam Bishop, later on as well (6th or 7th). A Dexter Jackson from Appalachian St. as a KR/WR would help somewhere mid to late rounds. He would remind some of SB MVB Branch and a good back up for slot WR Welker. Great quicks and good routes.
    I still think they will sign young, experienced ILB with decent speed in Adam Sewell but he can’t be their only answer at LB in 08. He’ll cost a fifth to the Panthers. I think if FA LB Takeo Spikes would sign a reasonable two-year deal, he would fit as the thumper ILB the pats need in the 3-4. Again, he brings the Belichick experience model. The great Pats D-line will make him a star once more. As a fall back to that, former Pats draft interest LB Bobby Carpenter of the Cowboys can be had for a third. He lost his staring bid when injured late in the preseason but he is young, good size and fast, and a great ST kid. He can play in or outside.
    Two teams, two stories and a happy ending for both?
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

The Pats would be ripping off the Falcons so bad.

That is a horrible trade.

Comment

I agree with Mike. Bad trade, no way that will happen.

Comment

Can someone break down this trade in lamen terms I can't ****ing read that much I just want to know who gets what in the trade.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Keith Brooking, DeAngelo Hall and the Falcons second round choice #37 for the Pats first round #7, Matt Gutierrez and Nick Kaczur

Thats the proposed deal

Comment

DeAngelo Hall wants I new contract I think doesn't he?

Very interesting trade to say the least. I don't think the Pats would be ripping off the Falcons honestly. That #7 pick is worth a lot.

Comment

No one else noticed the ken dorsey thing. Brookings is at the low end of his career Deangalo Hall HATES it in atlanta. They could grab matt ryan and ryan clady, and they added michael turner. I would strongly consider it if I was atlanta. Brookings and Hall will be gone by the time there contenders again any way. I'd so do it.
              Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Good points regoob

Comment

Plus the pats get a shutdown CB and a veteran LB to help their team. By doing this it will help them more right now and thats good since they are clearly a team that could win it all next year

Comment

They could get a shut down corner at #7 and they lose their starting right tackle who was very good for them last year.

Comment

yeah i caught the ken dorsey. isn't he only like 6'0 180 or something? tiny.

Comment

Sounds like a bettre deal for the Pats then it does for the Falcons...

Does anybody know if there is any truth in it?

Interesting that he has the Fins selecting Matt Ryan #1 overall. Personally I don't think any QB will be selected in the top 5.
                        Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

I don't view Hall as a "shutdown" corner
                          Jacksonville Jaguars GM

2008 WalterFootball.com Mock Draft Selections:

Round 1, (26) Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
                          Round 2, (58) Roy Schuening,G, Oregon State
                          Round 3, (71) Eddie Royal, WR/KR, Virginia Tech
                          Round 3, (89) Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
                          Round 4, (125) Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
                          Round 5, (147) Tommy Blake, DE, TCU
                          Round 5, (158) Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
                          Round 5, (159) Erik Ainge, QB, Tennessee

Comment

hall can't even shut down his own mouth how is he supposed to shut down receivers.. badumCHING

Comment

Working...
                            X