X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Woodson "terrible" in workout

QB Woodson 'terrible' in workout
    Russ Lande, SportingNews.com

Entering the '07 season, Kentucky quarterback Andre' Woodson was viewed by most as a likely first-round pick who could challenge to be the No. 1 quarterback drafted. Despite showing improvement as a senior, his play the week of the Senior Bowl significantly damaged his draft stock and knocked him into the middle rounds.

Woodson chose not to workout at the NFL Combine and put all his faith in his on-campus workout with other Kentucky prospects. The plan backfired when Woodson did not perform well at UK's on-campus workout March 5.

According to scouts in attendance, Woodson was extremely disappointing -- the word "terrible" was used -- and pushed him further down draft boards all around the league.

We never were enamored with Woodson; we rated him as fourth-round prospect entering the '07 season and now view him as a sixth- or seventh-round pick. However, some desperate team probably will grab him in the fourth or fifth round because of his size, arm strength and intangibles.

I'd be extremely happy if the Chiefs get him in the 3rd round. Idc if he is falling on everyones boards, I still think he is the 4th best QB after Ryan, Brohm and Flacco. He definently has the most potential

Comment

SIXTH OR SEVENTH ROUND?

Can you say the next Tom Brady?
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        SIXTH OR SEVENTH ROUND?

Can you say the next Tom Brady?
        Hey didn't you have him as the first overall pick in many of your mock drafts Matt...

Comment

I highly doubt he goes in the 6th or 7th round. I'd be surprised to see him in the 4th.

Comment

Nah I had him #2 overall in some of my mocks and I stand by that. People are so underrating him right now it isn't funny. He's still in my top 15 players overall in this draft.

He showed some bad accuracy last year which is my biggest concern, and bad accuracy at the Senior Bowl. But he has great deep ball accuracy, he's just a little inconsistent.

Andre Woodson's draft stock is one of the most underrated I have ever seen at the QB position. I mean it is just INSANE. He has the size. He has the arm. He has some of the best poise I have ever seen at the position (since Vince Young). He can read defenses. He's one some big games.

I just can't believe what the QB ratings are in this draft. Chad Henne and Joe Flacco are so overrated right now it isn't funny. I can't believe this. Andre Woodson is going to shock people when he gets in this league ... give him time to develop (like any rookie) and give him an OL. He will fluorish.

Comment

I don't see it in Woodson. He's a 3 maybe 3 and a half star prospect (On Walters 5 star rating). What about his pocketpresence? He doesn't feel the rush coming and he doesn't take care of the ball when it gets to him.

Woodson isn't the second comming of Tom Brady or the biggest sleeper ever. He's a real solid 3rd round pick, and a decent option in the second round.

I know you love the kid, but I'm surprised and honestly sort of dissappointed that he's still in your top 15. I respect your loyalty though.

Comment

He doesn't feel the rush coming? Did you watch the LSU game? Did you watch him at all at UK?

I'd like to see how great Matt Ryan would look in the SEC. I'd like to see how great Brian Brohm would would look in the SEC. ACC/Big East are you ****ign kidding me?

I'm sorry NNC but:

1. How do you ignore his arm strength?

2. How do you ignore his great deep ball accuracy?

3. How do you ignore what he accomplished at a school in the SEC with no offensive line for his first three years?

4. How do you ignore a that he had no real QB coaching up until his sophomore year IN COLLEGE?

5. How do you ignore his ability to stay in the pocket and take a hit and get the throw off at the last moment ... this corelates to his ability to play through pain. He's a tough football player

Everyone ignores his positive traits and harps on the negative. Very biased.

Comment

How do you say he does a bad job with ball security? When you get no pass protection and a DE slaps it out of your arm there is nothing a QB can do, though he did improve on this since his freshman and sophomore year.

Comment

I'm not ignoring his arm strength (most overrated feature in a QB), I know he had a great college career, and I don't deny his upside... that's what puts him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Take him out of the SEC and put him in the senior bowl. He can't handle the pressure or hang on to the ball.

Listen to Steve Young, one thing (one of the only good things) he points out are QBs hangin the ball out there or not putting two hands on it when getting sacked/leaving the pocket. That's what I saw in Woodson.

Who cares about his past coaching? Are teams supposed to draft him higher on sympathy? As evaluated right now he isn't a top 15 player.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                      I'm not ignoring his arm strength (most overrated feature in a QB), I know he had a great college career, and I don't deny his upside... that's what puts him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Take him out of the SEC and put him in the senior bowl. He can't handle the pressure or hang on to the ball.

Listen to Steve Young, one thing (one of the only good things) he points out are QBs hangin the ball out there or not putting two hands on it when getting sacked/leaving the pocket. That's what I saw in Woodson.

Who cares about his past coaching? Are teams supposed to draft him higher on sympathy? As evaluated right now he isn't a top 15 player.
                      I don't know enough about the guy to say anything about his techniques and specifics attributes as a QB, but some of the things you listed are things easily corrected in a QB. Putting two hands on the ball in the back peddle and while in the pocket is easily correctable with coaching. Also, it's been widely reported that Martz didn't do the QB's any favors by being their coach in the Sr. Bowl. His system is way too complicated to pick up after a few practices and from what every report I read about it was the opposite of what is the best system for Woodson.

As far as his pro-day goes I'd like to hear specifics as to why he didn't do well. Was he off the mark? Was he constantly overthrowing his WR's? Did he look slow in his back peddle or what? It just said he was terrible or whatever. That's not much of an explanation.

DAk
                      "I'm coming for you Murdock"

sigpic

Comment

No you don't draft a QB for sympahy, but for him to advance with little coaching in his career amazes me. He can read defenses, check at the LOS, he understands pass protection. He has become greatly more technical in his mechanics even though that is still the knock, he has made strides every year.

Comment

Woodson can't handle pressure? ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?

FOUR COMEBACK VICTORIES THIS YEAR: LOUISVILLE, ARKANSAS, LSU, VANDERBILT AND HE CAN'T HANDLE PRESSURE?

This is ridiculous. If Andre Woodson can't handle pressure then every other QB can't handle pressure.

I have 4 UK game tapes of Woodson and I have seen nearly every game he has played in his career. I know him. I know his strengths, I know his weaknesses, and I know how good he is going to be if he is given an OL in the NFL (and don't knock him for this, every QB needs an OL).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            Woodson can't handle pressure? ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?

FOUR COMEBACK VICTORIES THIS YEAR: LOUISVILLE, ARKANSAS, LSU, VANDERBILT AND HE CAN'T HANDLE PRESSURE?

This is ridiculous. If Andre Woodson can't handle pressure then every other QB can't handle pressure.

I have 4 UK game tapes of Woodson and I have seen nearly every game he has played in his career. I know him. I know his strengths, I know his weaknesses, and I know how good he is going to be if he is given an OL in the NFL (and don't knock him for this, every QB needs an OL).
                            Joey Harrington was a college comeback king too and he couldnt handle pressure...

Comment

Speaking of Joey Harrington, I can't figure out why specifically he sucks. I guess it is just he lacks mental toughness.

Time will tell with Woodson.

How about Brian Brohm's poise though guys? Anyone see the Rutgers game. Kid crumbles when a pass rush is actually generated. Yet he is a "lock" to be one of the top 3 QBs taken.

Comment

Working...
                              X