Breaking down the run defense versus Pittsburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking down the run defense versus Pittsburgh

The Bills were horrendous when the Broncos ran to either tackle or either end. Runs to the right averaged 8.7 yards per carry and runs to the left averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

Runs to the left guard, right guard, or up the middle which I classified as “middle runs” averaged only 3.0 yards per carry though and the Broncos ran that way 12 times. The interior defense held up its end of the bargain.

Situationally, the run defense had varied success. It made two 3rd down stops and had 3 tackles for a loss or no gain. It did not stop the Broncos though on a 4th down conversion and the Broncos had 6 runs for first downs.

The results from the Pittsburgh game were about the same. While the interior run defense wasn't as good as Week 1, they were by far not as bad as runs to the outside. In fact, most of the game “middle runs” were kept contained despite the high amount of runs by the Steelers to that area.

Overall, the Bills allowed 6.0 yards per carry, obviously horrendous.

Pittsburgh ran right tackle or right end seven times for 44 yards and 6.3 yards per carry. So it improved from last week, but the Steelers attacked that side less then Denver.

Left tackle and Left End was worse at 10.3 yards per carry. The Steelers only ran that way 4 times though and was worse than the week before.

Runs to the left guard, right guard, and up the middle averaged 4.9 yards per carry. Pittsburgh rushed 21 times to that area. The averaged obviously is worse than the week before, but it also doesn’t tell the whole story. For most of the game, the interior rush defense held their own. Until Willie Parker’s 11 yard TD run up the middle, the Steelers only averaged 3.5 yards on 16 carries. Even after the TD run, the average went up to 3.9 YPC.

Again, the situationals is a mixed bag.

On the negative side, Pittsburgh had 11 runs that went for a 1st down, including the touchdown. The Bills made no run stops on 3rd down to force a 4th down on four opportunities to do so.

On the positive side, the Bills made 9 tackles for no gain or negative yardage.

Overall, the Bills DT’s don’t seem to be the problem. The offense isn’t helping the D by not sustaining long drives, but when teams run to the outside, the team isn’t getting the job done.

Nice, awesome analysis.

Who do you think is the problem then?
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
      Nice, awesome analysis.

Who do you think is the problem then?
      Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay and the other DE's.

Comment

I had this dilemma when making my update for my 2008 Mock Draft. Given the opportunity, do you think the Bills would draft Calais Campbell or Glenn Dorsey?
        2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
          I had this dilemma when making my update for my 2008 Mock Draft. Given the opportunity, do you think the Bills would draft Calais Campbell or Glenn Dorsey?
          Dorsey hands down imo

But if they go BPA it would be Campbell

Comment

Working...
          X