Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Instead of accepting the fact that they sucked at QB they reached for Jackson. Sometimes I think you are better off just not addressing a position if the value isn't there and you feel like you won't be good enough to compete for the next season.

MAXIMIZE THE VALUE OF THE DRAFT.

Leave a comment:

• ZN0rseman
    replied
    It might very well have been panic, but it's hard to tell if it was that as much as it was just plain stupidity. I mean, for starters there were other QB's on the board that they could have had, all of whom were/are vastly superior to Jackson. They also traded away two picks to move up in the second to get him, and he was a guy who was projected (at the earliest) as a 6th round pick... and most experts had him listed as a 6th or 7th rounder or a UFA. After they caught a lot of heat from the media for the biggest draft day lunge in modern history, they put out some lame story that they had information that someone else was looking to pick him up at the top of the 3rd. (I don't buy that for a second.)

The strangest part of the whole thing is that it seemed pretty clear to everyone that Jackson, at best, was a long term project QB who might develop into something usable if given a few years of training and holding a clipboard. Instead of that, he was almost immediately made the defacto starter because the team failed to pick up anyone who could even remotely push him for the starting role. Sure, they had Brad Johnson, but everyone knew then that he was over the hill, and at best was backup material for most teams. Let's not forget that Johnson was only available to Minnesota because he lost his job in Tampa due to poor performance. Then, the only backup they could secure was Brooks Bollinger??? Come on! I like Brooks Bollinger as a player, and a stand-up guy, but he's certainly not good enough to be starting for any franchise with championship aspirations. Neither is Jackson. So how the heck could the team fail to pick up someone better? It just doesn't make sense to me, or to any other Vikings fan, or to anyone else in the league.

I'm not even kidding when I say that if the Vikings had a QB like Rex Grossman last year, they could have lost their 5th Super Bowl. Or, as bad as the Patriots played in that game, maybe even won it. It's not because Grossman is that good, but because Jackson was so bad that the Vikings were winning most of their games last season without the benefit of the forward pass. It wouldn't take much of a QB to make them effective either, I mean, Jackson was facing cover three defenses, and one-on-one man coverage, often without safety backup, most of the season and he still couldn't get the ball to wide open receivers.

Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    I agree with that Matt. If they liked Jackson, they could have gotten him later in the draft.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    I don't think they paniced they should have expected Clemens to be off the board.

Leave a comment:

• Vbsiena
    replied
    Hey ZN0rse is it true, well what you've heard in Viking Nation, that the only reason the Vikings reached for Jackson is because Kellen Clemens was picked by the Jets and the Vikings originally wanted KC and panicked when he was off the board?

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    Jackson is noting but a former reach who is a bust now. He can't pass at all, and MIN will never do anything with him leading the team.

Leave a comment:

• ZN0rseman
    replied
    There are a few fans out there (the vast minority) who think the organization should stick with Jackson until doomsday.. this group is very vocal about the subject however, so one has to take that into consideration. There are also a few fans (still in the vast minority) who think we should give Jackson at least another year or two to prove himself. However, the overwhelming majority of fans know what they've seen the last two years and they believe strongly that Jackson has proven that he does not have what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL for any team, let alone the starting QB for the franchise that they love.

Please note: Jackson is as not athletic as some people beleive, he's actually a pocket passing QB, with a big arm, but terrible accuracy. One cannot consider Jackson to be a scrambling QB in any way, shape or form. Unless of course you consider Ben Rothlisberger to be a scrambling QB, because they have the same 40 speed.
    Last edited by ZN0rseman; 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    norseman, what is the consensus Vikings fan opinion of Tavaris jackson?

Leave a comment:

• ZN0rseman
    replied
    Scrambling QB's get away with their playing style in college, but when they get to the NFL everyone they play against is as fast as they are, so their speed doesn't amount to anything special. That's why guys who were scramble-first QB's like Vince Young and Micheal Vick will never be anything above average at the QB position. Sure, they can make ESPN highlight reels left and right, but in the end, a team is better off and will win more games with a QB who stays in the pocket and uses his arm and his mental toughness to beat defenses.

Leave a comment:

• NoNonsenseCoach
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    hey nnc: "Vince Young just wins games"
    Oh ya I forgot... in fact Matt, all he does is win games. This guy eats Victory for breakfast, that's why they didn't miss a beat when Albert Haynesworth went down. End the arguement now b/c VY>Life

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
    Well I would agree that is it a highly dubious idea that Vince is being sabotaged by Jeff Fisher, seeing as how Fisher started him rather quickly.

The other stuff is crap though. VY can be the ultimate weapon when used properly. If you can surround him with an actual #1 or even a semi-decent #2 , the titans offense could be unstoppable. You let him run around and force the defense to put more guys in the box to stop him, all of sudden they can't afford to double cover this good receiver.
    You let him run around and he gets injured...oh yeah I forgot NFL LBers are starting to catch up to him. His mobility is very overrated imo. I don't think he is as fast as everyone thinks...Bruce Gradkowski had a faster 40 time at the combine.

Leave a comment:

• 49ersfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    Except in the playoffs

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
    Why are you quoting me after I posted right before you?

Fisher isn't sabotaging Vince Young. In case you forgot Fisher just guided that team into the playoffs. Vince Young isn't a great quarterback, and without his legs being 100% he isn't even a competent quarterback. Fisher knows this and is trying to build his team around a defense and a strong running game (doing a damn good job of it too) if anything he's doing Vince Young a huge favor by not giving him WRers so people can use that as a cop out and say that Young is still a good QB.
    Well I would agree that is it a highly dubious idea that Vince is being sabotaged by Jeff Fisher, seeing as how Fisher started him rather quickly.

The other stuff is crap though. VY can be the ultimate weapon when used properly. If you can surround him with an actual #1 or even a semi-decent #2 , the titans offense could be unstoppable. You let him run around and force the defense to put more guys in the box to stop him, all of sudden they can't afford to double cover this good receiver.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NoNonsenseCoach
    replied
    Where's Walter to come to VY's rescue? I don't think it was either. "Conservative Jeff Fisher" or VY can't grasp the whole playbook?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X