• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt McGuire's Pre-Draft Analysis: New York Jets

http://walterfootball.com/mattpredraftnyj.php

I doubt a certain player will be there at six
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

I don't even need to read it now that you've spoiled it.

Comment

LOL my bad, fixed it
      2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

As a Bills fan I hope they don't get VGold

Comment

Excellent read. Kendall Langford would be a great pick for any team.
          If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
          Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

I don't think they will be looking for a right tackle. I believe they brought in Damien Woody to play that position.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
              I don't think they will be looking for a right tackle. I believe they brought in Damien Woody to play that position.
              Yea but he sucks, why would you give him $5 mill a year? Why?

Comment

Maybe they brought Woody in to play guard? I think he would be a better guard anyway.
                If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

I remember reading that the Lions played him at RT near the season's end and he did a pretty good job at it.

Comment

Ok Matt as promised:

I agree that Mangini should have lost that week 17 game. It was meaningless. I remember telling my dad as I was watching it that the Jets would of course do the worst thing possible and win a meaningless game. It hurt almost as bad as losing a meaningful game, seriously. I got bashed many times for saying this on a Jets board, whatever. The Jets didn't even play well that game the Chiefs just played worse. Neither team wanted to win that one.

Agree that J Long won't be there at #6. Even if he was the Jets should try and trade out of that spot. I'm sure Carolina or Chicago would be on the phones with the Jets immediately if that was the case. J Long would be the starting RT on the Jets for many years because of D'Brick and why draft a RT that high?

There are quite a few Jets fans that really want Matt Ryan at #6. I personally think they are stupid not just because Ryan doesn't look that great to me, but because KC reallly wasn't given a chance to prove himself. He only started like 8 or 9 games and there are tons of Jets fans who want to give up on him. I seriously hate talking to most Jets fans. I like talking to all of you better because they just piss me off. "Let's give up on him after 9 games". ****ers. He needs 2008 to prove himself. If he can't get it done after this season then we consider a QB in the next draft. I really don't even think the Jets should draft a QB at all in this draft, again an opinion not shared with lots of Jets fans. I think the consensus I here is draft a QB in round 2. Definite chance it turns into a Rivers - Brees or Anderson-Quinn situation where it will just piss me off, but I digress

Agree with your Ellis analysis. He loses value if they take him at #6 to be used in the 3-4. Pass.

Rivers is interesting. I've thought about him or Derrick Harvey here. It would be a reach. I didn't think Matt thought he could be an OLB in the 3-4? I like him more of a ILB then. Eric Barton sucks anyways I've thought Curtis Lofton in the 2nd to replace him. Agreed longshot doubt this happens.

I don't like McFadden. He makes me nervous that he isn't going to translate to an RB who can carry the load in the NFL. The feeling amongst most Jets fans is we should get him or Gholston if available. The split is like 60% want DMC and 40% want Gholston if C Long is not available. Seriously lots of Jets fans think he is on par with All Day or better in terms of RB prospect from college. I would hope the Jets pass on him if he falls to #6 either trade back or pick a CB. He scares me. If they draft him I hope I'm wrong.

Agree with 100% of what you say about McKelvin. Justin Miller is a very nice nickel CB and excellent KR man but he didn't look impressive as a #2 CB when given the chance. The man-to-man coverage CB is exactly what Mangini looks for. That's why he took Revis, can he go back to back with excellent 1st round CB picks? (rhetorical)

I like Gholston a lot based on what I have seen and the buzz he creates. He can get to the passer and over time can develop his coverage ability as a OLB to play everydown. I don't think he is quite ready yet, but what do I know. If they draft him he will rotate with Bryan Thomas most likely until he wins the spot from him hopefully by the end of the season. THomas sucks and is lost out there as a OLB don't let anyone tell you differently. But a rotation of Pace, Gholston, Thomas for 08 should be solid then just Pace, Gholston in 09 should be huge for that pass rush, and create more stop and turnover opportunities. I've talked to some Jets fans who think Gholston will bust because he is raw and labeled as just a workout warrior. I mean he could bust, but any player can in reality. I dunno I think I need the bring Matt in to convince them they are wrong and slap them around a little, lol.

As for the rest of the rounds. I like Curtis Lofton at ILB like I already mentioned. James Hardy if he somehow falls would be awesome. Possession WR? Cotchery and Coles baby. Coles can't stretch the field like he used to he's turning into more of a possession WR than anything. Need someone big who can stretch the field if we pick a WR in the 2nd. As for another possession WR I would be happy if we draft Burton or Douglas in the 4th for competition with Brad Smith (who the FO is high on for some reason), and Stuckey.

I like the idea of another Tackle for depth and to become an eventual starter but with the acquistion of Woody I don't see it in the 2nd round. It's a possibility and I'm for it but I'd rather get a ILB, OLB, WR, maybe a CB in the 2nd. I see a bigger need if the value is there. I also won't mind a Kendall Langford type DE because I'm not a fan of Shaun Ellis as a DE in our scheme and hope he gets replaced eventually.

I like your sleepers. Jeremy Leman would look great next to Harris.

I esp agree with your closing paragraph about "I feel like they need to have a great draft so they just aren't only good in the short term, but three years down the road as well."

I feel the additions they made are temporary so Tangini can get the necessary personal through the draft and development. The guys they brought in get the job done now and preserves Tangini's jobs for now so they can prepare for the long run. I really love the drafts the past 2 seasons by this front office (and hope they are around for a while; way better than Herm and Bradway) and expect another great one by this front office.

Great write up.
                    Last edited by Vbsiena; 03-26-2008, 03:55 PM.
                    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

No, that's bull**** you never lose a game on purpose. If a coach ever told me to take it easy for a game I'd tell management to get a new coach b/c this one is a coward. Matt you obviously have never played football in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                        No, that's bull**** you never lose a game on purpose. If a coach ever told me to take it easy for a game I'd tell management to get a new coach b/c this one is a coward. Matt you obviously have never played football in your life.
                        A meaningless game is a good time to get the back ups in. The coach should be trying to win, but with the backups. They get some experience, coach gets an early look at who he wants to resign if they are free agents, etc. The win just becomes a lot less important in those type of games.
                        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                          A meaningless game is a good time to get the back ups in. The coach should be trying to win, but with the backups. They get some experience, coach gets an early look at who he wants to resign if they are free agents, etc. The win just becomes a lot less important in those type of games.
                          Agree 100% Siena. Dont try to lose but at the same time don't screw up the chance of getting a higher pick to help the future of your team. It is not difficult and it is smart on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                            Have you? Sometimes, you have to be tactical. In the NFL, it can make all the difference. You have to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

Comment

I've played football since I was 6, set highschool records, played in states, and I'm now a scholarship athlete in college. If a coach benched me in the last game of the year I'd be pissed (and I'm only playing for pride) if he benched veterans who are trying to meet incentives I'm sure they'd be even more pissed.

There is a reason NFL head coaches are head coaches and draftniks are draftniks.
                              Last edited by NoNonsenseCoach; 03-26-2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X