No announcement yet.

Matt McGuire's Pre-Draft Analysis: New York Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some teams go crazy over speed and mobility (I'm looking at you, Al).

Comment

Well O'Connell is a QB so I'm sure it's just he has a somewhat big arm

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        You don't try to lose you just put your team in a position to lose by playing the scrubs.

Like the Bucs vs. 49ers...we had our JV team in there that day but if Clayton catches that ball in the end zone we win....we didn't put ourselves in best possible situation to win the game but you don't try to lose it either.

Plus McCown, Heyward, Black, etc. got a lot of valuable experience.
        Resting your starters so they don't get hurt for the playoffs is much different from benching your starters so you get a better draft pick. Who are you to call Eric Mangini an idiot when you've never even touched a football field or been in a locker room? You have no idea what you're talking about Matt or anyone who agrees with that. None of the veterans on that team are worried about being ahead a spot or two in the draft, they want to win games.

Comment

They want to win games awesome....we are talking about the future of a franchise.

You don't try to lose the game you just play a few rookies and you call a few bad plays. What's the ****ing difference in 4-12 and 3-13? Seriously?

What if Vernon Gholston decided to stay for his senior season...they aren't going to get an extremely good player at No. 6. Leodis McKelvin is the best they could hope for.

It was a huge mistake. The playoff teams tank at the end of every year because:

1. They know their regular season is over too
          2. To improve draft status if even only by a few spots

So yes I think unless you are fighting for a playoff spot in weeks 16 and 17 (or are trying to secure a bye, go for momentum in playoffs, home field, etc.) then you should tank. It is bad management if you don't.

None of the Jets players give a **** about their week 17 win right now. They will get over a tanking. NBA players do (seems like Paul Pierece recovered nicely).
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

The only reason I can see NFL players caring about a meaningless week 17 game was briefly eluded to earlier. Incentives. Lots of starters have incentive bonuses in their contracts and might need the final week of the season for a chance to hit them.

If their coach is like "yea this game doesn't matter you're on the bench" esp if say it was a RB who only needed 30 more yards to get $500,000 then **** yea they would be pissed. Other than that I'm sure they guys are professional enough not to care if they get benched for one game. They's still got paid either way!
            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I highly doubt that. In the interviews I've seen players want to play and want to win.

How much does a week 17 win matter? When you start next season do you want to say "Lets build off of what we got going last season" or "Hey guys, I know I threw in the towel at the end of last year since none of you were good enough, but now that we have Jake Long instead of Leodis McKelvin I think we have a shot!"

Comment

Ok so Matt,

Like promised I went to promote this link on www.thejetsblog.com and so far no response. I emailed the Bassett the guy in charge to get him to up a link up or something yesterday, so far nothing. I also went to the forums of www.JetsInsider.com the highest trafficed Jets forums and apparently there are 2 long time posters that promote Draft Daddy there so it might be hard to get through over there.

Comment

No one thinks about week 17 before the season opener.

Interviews are so overrated. Every interview isn't the same unless the person is being honest like T.O. or Chad Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                    Ok so Matt,

Like promised I went to promote this link on www.thejetsblog.com and so far no response. I emailed the Bassett the guy in charge to get him to up a link up or something yesterday, so far nothing. I also went to the forums of www.JetsInsider.com the highest trafficed Jets forums and apparently there are 2 long time posters that promote Draft Daddy there so it might be hard to get through over there.
                    It's all right. Many more fish in the sea. Those jets fans are still raving about their Week 17 win I guess

Comment

Hahaha although you know I disagree with you, I'll give you the argument based on that comment alone.

Comment

I don’t know what the Jets should do if Gholston isn’t there and Mcfadden is. They need a playmaker but in today’s league, they should get it a wide receiver. I would try and get a Roy Williams type and pay him the money. I’m not depending on a draft pick so it will be expensive. If they get one in the draft this year then perfect. They may have to wait until next year to get this player. They have capable running backs, so Mcfadden would have to be great to make a difference. The problem is reaching for a corner when Mcfadden may be able to be the playmaker you’re looking for.

Comment

McFadden would have to be the pick. Look what Peterson did for MIN.

Comment

McFadden can't run between the tackles and he doesn't have Peterson's body. Peterson was an elite RB prospect in my mind....McFadden is nothing like Adrian Peterson other than great open field speed.

The Jets running game will get so much better by default with more experience for Ferguson/Mangold and the addition of Faneca. Maybe Woody is an upgrade at RT...I think the Jets will draft a RG in the draft.

The Jets need to improve their defense with their first pick. McKelvin, Gholston or Rivers (longshot as I mentioned) will be the pick. I'd be shocked if they took McFadden. In the range? Yes. Smart Move? No.

Plus, let's not get ahead of ourselves...the Raiders have to pass up on McFadden (which I don't see happening) for this to even be an issue.

Comment

We are just hypothesising Matt. Geez man.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                                McFadden can't run between the tackles and he doesn't have Peterson's body. Peterson was an elite RB prospect in my mind....McFadden is nothing like Adrian Peterson other than great open field speed.

The Jets running game will get so much better by default with more experience for Ferguson/Mangold and the addition of Faneca. Maybe Woody is an upgrade at RT...I think the Jets will draft a RG in the draft.

The Jets need to improve their defense with their first pick. McKelvin, Gholston or Rivers (longshot as I mentioned) will be the pick. I'd be shocked if they took McFadden. In the range? Yes. Smart Move? No.

Plus, let's not get ahead of ourselves...the Raiders have to pass up on McFadden (which I don't see happening) for this to even be an issue.
                                Yea I pretty much agree just wanna say they do have Brandon Moore at RG who is signed through 2013. He is an average G doesn't do much wrong doesn't do anything great. I would like to see a new starter here by 09. I mean all they have for depth is a project OL in Jacob Bender who I think has a better chance at playing OG than OT in the NFL. So in this draft if they could get a future starting guard that would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X