2008 Kickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Kickers

Was lookig at the last update on Kicker rankings and don't feel the rankings are right.
    My # 1 would be Coutu from Ga 53 of 66, 3 misses in career below 45 and 10 from 47 out with 6 of the ten from over 50. Big leg and accurate. Long 58
    No extra points missed in career
    #2 Tayor Mehlhaff Good kicker and kicks off Long 52
    #3 Serna also had good career Long 58
    #4 Carmody This site has him not missing below 40 until this year when ESPN shows that he missed 9 kicks below 40 from 2005-2006 Long 51

What are your thoughts
    Last edited by dawgfanto; 03-27-2008, 07:32 PM.

Welcome to the forums! I dont know much about the kickers besides stats though

Comment

cough dawgfan #1 kicker is coutu cough

He is mine too but not worth drafting.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Who do you think is draftable and yes I understand being a dawgfan makes me seem like a homer but just breakdown the stats and see what you come up with. Many feel that Carmody is the most accurate but if you take away is 1 for 2 from 50 and Coutu's 6 of 12 from 50 you will find that Coutu is an 87% kicker vs 85% for Carmody

Comment

I like Shane Longest out of St Xavier, mainly because of his name. Jeremy "Judge" Ito is also interesting, but he'll struggle to make 50 yarders.

Seriously though, I'm not particularly impressed by any of the kickers this year, and I have been looking into it ever since Denver lost Elam. I don't take college stats too seriously because of the use of kicking tees for field goals and also the wide hash marks making for some pretty small apparent goal post width. Maybe Melhaff or Coutu with a 6/7th rounder. Carmody had a lot of buzz going into this year (after the Groza in 2006) but didn't have a great senior year.

Serna is an interesting prospect as he is probably the most athletic out of the kickers, runs in the 4.6 range, though he's tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
            cough dawgfan #1 kicker is coutu cough

He is mine too but not worth drafting.
            Cantu is also my #1, with Carmody at 2, Serna at 3, and Hartley at 4. Cantu, and maybe Carmody and Serna are the only ones I think will be drafted.

Comment

Cantu has a sweet name so I'd want him on my team

Comment

jimmyp no tees in college, they kick off the ground. And at the pros hash marks are more in the middle of the field for better angles

Comment

Is it still true that at the college level the kickers can kick kickoffs with the balls they used in warm ups (beat up a little), but in the pros they cannot? They can only use game balls?

Cause I remember hearing that's why Mike Nugent struggled with his kickoffs at the NFL level.
                  WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                  Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

You should never spend higher than a 3rd round pick on a kicker. Jets made a huge knee jerk mistake with Nugent in the 2nd imo. Horrendous value.
                    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

lol, no mention of Janikowski in the first?

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                        lol, no mention of Janikowski in the first?
                        Dude, that was the Raiders. It doesn't need an explanation other than that.

Comment

Well they had practically no team needs and didn't have the cap space to pay a big player. It wasn't as dumb as people think.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            You should never spend higher than a 3rd round pick on a kicker. Jets made a huge knee jerk mistake with Nugent in the 2nd imo. Horrendous value.
                            That doesn't answer my question, but they might have done it in the 2nd because they were nervous Minnesota was targeting him in the 2nd as well and didn't think he would fall to the third. That was what I heard from my Minnesota friend. I dunno though. It was knee jerk because of Doug Brien in the AFC Conference game missed that OT fieldgoal. That's Herman The German Edwards for ya.

Have a great draft Kansas City fans, lol.
                            WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                            Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Nugent was a good kicker prospect, although I don't think he was worth a 2nd round pick. Kickers just aren't out on the field enough to warrant a 2nd round pick when top offensive and defensive prospects are still on the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X