Todd McShay's Most overrated player: Vernon Gholston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todd McShay's Most overrated player: Vernon Gholston

Major props for actually going out on a limb...but he didn't say why he thinks Gholston is overrated. No analysis on why, just that he doesn't belong in the top 5. And that is my criticism, if you bash any player back it up with ****ing logic.

Also, this is hiliarious, he thinks Chad Henne could go in the mid part of the FIRST ROUND.

Also, he said he thinks Mario Manningham and Early Doucet's stock has dropped just out of the first round.

Okay I think most of us have had these guys as second round WRs for a very long time (Manningham sneaked in there pre-combine).

I want Todd McShay on TDMMC...I would absolutely own him.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

IMO Early Doucet is a Josh Reed that isn't a great route runner.

Comment

I agree with him that Vernon Gholston is overrated.

I think Chad Henne will be the third QB taken though.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
        I agree with him that Vernon Gholston is overrated.
        I think Chad Henne will be the third QB taken though.
        Okay so why do you feel this way because your statement doesn't mean **** unless you can back it up with a few reasons why.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Okay so why do you feel this way because your statement doesn't mean **** unless you can back it up with a few reasons why.
          I'm worried about his stats being inflated because he's a good edge rusher going against Big Ten tackles that basically pass protect like they are playing in the mud. He'll struggle for a while playing against much more athletic LTs in the NFL.

I watched him carefully in that Illinois game and he was unable to do anything once that Illinois T got his hands on him.

Comment

1. Well stats aren't a good indciation of how players will translate to the NFL...stats must co-relate with ability for there to be an issue (such as Colt Brennan's lack of arm strength and playing against weak competition in run n' shoot). Or Chad Henne, maybe he will be a better pro than college player if he can stay healthy.

No player plays great every game and is highly productive in every game, I hear you (and he did get dominated by Ciron Black in the national championship game), but you have to look at the big picture. I mean if Dwight Freeney can do it, then why not Gholston who is a much stronger player?

Would I draft Gholston in the top 3 as a RDE in the 4-3? No, but I would take him in pick 4 or later at that position and I think he has enough value for the Dolphins to consider him #1 as a 3-4 OLB, but Chris Long is the lock there I'm just making the point.

Plus, the Big Ten offensive tackles aren't horrible. I mean no worse than ACC or Pac 10. By far the best offensive lineman are in the SEC because to me they are bigger and more athletic.

Comment

And saying "Big Ten tackles that basically pass protect like they are playing in the mud" is bs

EDIT: Matt edited his post to add this point

Comment

yeah I mean I don't ever see OSU practice but Gholston goes up against a very damn good one in Alex Boone (who reminds me of you guessed it, Jake Long as a junior).

I think Boone is slightly more athletic than Long but he needs to work on technique (knees are too straight at times, needs to get stronger in lower body, more tenacity).

Boone, Dace Richardson, and Eric Vanden-Heuvel all look like draft picks next year, possibley all in the first 3 rounds. Now the talent on the OL in the big ten certainly isn't awesome, average imo.
                Last edited by Matt McGuire; 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Early Doucet goes in the bottom part of round 1, probably to the 49'ers. But that's just me.
                  - Also known as Dan.
                  - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Matt, remember when I said his mock looked like it was updated 2 months ago? Well, I guess he just finally realized that Manningham is no longer a first-round prospect. Good job, McShay.

Doucet may have fallen out of Round 1 with a bad Pro Day.
                    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

I've never seen the game speed in Doucet to be a first round pick so the 40 time is irrelevant imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
                        Matt, remember when I said his mock looked like it was updated 2 months ago? Well, I guess he just finally realized that Manningham is no longer a first-round prospect. Good job, McShay.

Doucet may have fallen out of Round 1 with a bad Pro Day.
                        I think when it's time for the 49'ers to draft, Doucet will be the best WR available. I don't know how much lobbying power Mike Martz has, but he'll want as many WR's as he possibly can to run his system.
                        - Also known as Dan.
                        - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                        X