Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sept. 24, 2007: Should coaches be allowed to ice the kicker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept. 24, 2007: Should coaches be allowed to ice the kicker?

Get that garbage out of here. It slows down the game.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

agree

Comment

I think they should. It adds more suspense and the kickers should be ready for the other coach to call a time out. It has clearly been working. If these kickers are automatic, then they shouldn't have a problem with it.
      Carolina Panther's GM

1. #17 - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
      2. #37 - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
      2. #43 - Jonathan Hefney, FS, Tennessee
      3. #74 - John David Booty, QB, USC
      3. #82 - Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
      4. #107 - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

Comment

Icing the kicker needs to go. Everyone knows long kicks are a coin flip, and this crap changes the outcome of games. Consider the Oakland-Denver game in Week 2, as well as many others.

Since you don't want to take away a team's right to legitimate timeouts, I'm not exactly sure what the rule and wording should be, but there needs to be something put in place for prevention. This is just an example (so there's no need to pick it apart) but maybe something along the lines of:

"If there is less than 2:00 remaining and the clock is not running, defensive timeouts are not allowed once the opposing team has lined up for a kick."

Comment

Originally posted by Egg View Post

"If there is less than 2:00 remaining and the clock is not running, defensive timeouts are not allowed once the opposing team has lined up for a kick."
          Wow - that's pretty harsh. I wouldn't see them ever going that far, but I think it was mentioned by Kornheiser tonight that maybe they should bring the rule back where only players on the field should be able to call timeout.

I think the "icing" strategy is ok - it's all part of the game, when you're upfront about it. I just don't like the idea of Shanahan/Urban Meyer/Lane Kiffin/Jauron standing on the sideline whispering "not yet... not yet... not yet... not yet... NOW". Something about that just seems sort of shady to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            Wow - that's pretty harsh. I wouldn't see them ever going that far, but I think it was mentioned by Kornheiser tonight that maybe they should bring the rule back where only players on the field should be able to call timeout.

I think the "icing" strategy is ok - it's all part of the game, when you're upfront about it. I just don't like the idea of Shanahan/Urban Meyer/Lane Kiffin/Jauron standing on the sideline whispering "not yet... not yet... not yet... not yet... NOW". Something about that just seems sort of shady to me.
            That could work too. Under 2:00 only players on the field are allowed to call timeouts.

Comment

I've seen some other pretty valid points brought up on other forums about this same exact thing.

Perhaps it should be like baseball - when a batter asks for time. If it's too close to the pitch being thrown, then the umpire has every right to deny the timeout request.

In basketball, once the ball is handed to the free-throw shooter, it's his to shoot - you can not call a time-out to "ice" him at that point.

I just think they could allow the defense to call a timeout until the time the field goal team gets set. After that - sorry, you're SOL.

I forget exactly how the Auburn/Florida game played out after the kid made the first kick, that got nullified. Did the fans already start rushing the field? How would THAT be handled where you get 10,000 students rushing the field, thinking they had won the game, only to find out a timeout had been called at the last split-second? LOL... what happens if the goalposts get torn down in the process?

And how soon until we start seeing the "fake timeout" call? Where a coach will cozy up to the ref, just as the ball is being snapped, acting as if he's going to call a timeout, but doesn't do it.

(Yeah, I know that one's a reach, but it seems like just another variation of the "bend the rules to get in the kicker's head" bit).

It just seems like all the gimmicky possibilities are endless.

Comment

I think icing the kicker does matter and it isn't a coin flip like egg says. After all it's much more rare to see a kicker miss a FG but have another chance to kick it due to a time out... then make it the second time around.

It no doubt slows down the game however, and there is enough suspense built with the time it takes the team to drive into FG position and get the FG team out on the field. I say get rid of icing the kicker.

Comment

I think icing the kicker is a legimate process, and it should be allowed if you are just trying to get in the kicker's head to try to do anything you can to save yourself a last second loss.

But I think there is a difference between icing the kicker and calling a timeout, having him kick the ball all the way down the field, and having him re-kick. I think if the ball is snapped, it should be too late, so the coaches can't look for that fraction of a second they can get that timeout in. If the ball is snapped, it's snapped, so let it happen.

Comment

It is unfair, but there is really no possible way to ban it.
                    Walter got PWN3D
                    Rams GM

Picks
                    2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
                    33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
                    65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
                    101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
                    137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
                    168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
                    180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment

I think they should.. Look at basketball when the last 30 seconds takes 12 minutes because they foul when they are down and come back and try to hit a quick 3...... It's just giving your team the best shot at prevailing on top
                      Check out my new site Today!
                      Live 4 The Story

Comment

Working...
                      X