Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of the playoff re-seeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulldog0123
    link?
    Wrong thread, but it is http://www.blogtalkradio.com/finsrad.../30/Fins-Radio

Comment

Proposal To Reseed Playoff Teams Withdrawn By Owners

"PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A show of hands made it obvious that reseeding the NFL playoffs wasn't such a good idea.

So the league's competition committee withdrew the proposal Wednesday after an informal vote sent it "down in flames," according to New York Giants co-owner John Mara.

Competition committee co-chairman Rich McKay, president of the Atlanta Falcons, was not surprised about the lack of support for reseeding, in which a wild-card team with a better record than a division winner would play at home in the first playoff round.

"This idea we wanted to push this year to get the discussion going," McKay said. "There were not a lot of hands up, so we withdrew the proposal for now.

"There is the historical idea that a division champion should have a home game." Which was exactly why Patriots owner Robert Kraft opposed reseeding.

"I do believe if you win a division, it's good for your fans to know you will have a home game," Kraft said. "To win a division, there is a reward and we wanted to keep that."

There remains concern about late-season games becoming meaningless when teams already have secured their playoff positions. Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated discussions of reseeding are not dead.

"The focus I said to the competition committee is what are the alternatives we have to make sure every game is as competitive as possible," Goodell said. "I think the debate was good."

McKay said the competition committee will look into scheduling more games between division opponents late in the season to combat the possibility of meaningless matchups.

-----

Glad to hear they didn't change it. Maintaining division rivalries is one of the most important things, in my opinion. If you allow Wildcard teams to get higher seeds than Division Winners, winning the division becomes just another playoff spot. This badly devalues intra-division games.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        I don't think so because you still get to go to the playoffs...if you weren't guaranteed a playoff spot for winning the division I would be against it
        Oh, I don't think the division winner are out of it at all. The teams who earned a playoff spot are still the same, but now the division winner will only have homefield over a wildcard if they have a better record. I like it. I don't think it makes winning the division any less important.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Yeah but look at the NFC East...brutal division man.
          what about the nfc north? i mean the packers have to face the vikings, bears, and lions! that's almost as hard as being in the same division as the raiders, dolphins, and cardinals, if they were in the same division.

Comment

Damn it. That would have improved the NFL greatly.

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe the owners picture losing home playoff momey but that could go either way.

Comment

I think a proposal like this will be voted through in a couple of years. The NFL change-process is very slow...
                Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Leo is right. Many of these owners are very resistant to change, and fixing what isn't broken.

Comment

Working...
                  X