• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt McGuire's Pre-Draft Analysis: Baltimore Ravens

http://walterfootball.com/mattpredraftbal.php

No spoilers from me this time.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

My biggest knock against the analysis is that it mentions nothing of the WR position. They lost Devard Darling, but he isn't elite talent. The Ravens lack an elite reciever, which they should address in the 2nd round (James Hardy?) or the 3rd/4th round (Mario Manningham? Andre Caldwell?)
    - Also known as Dan.
    - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

Derrick Mason
      Mark Clayton
      Demetrius Williams
      Yamon Figurs (good depth WR and slot)

I don't see a need for a WR honestly...none of these guys are elite but they havne't had very good quarterbacking either.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I would describe that group as Mediocre at best.

I think Troy Smith could start next year. I think if he's going to do well, he needs actual weapons at receiver. I don't think it's their biggest need, but it's pretty high, I think.
        - Also known as Dan.
        - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

Comment

I'd describe the quarterback position in Baltimore as mediocre at best.

What makes Mark Clayton or Demetrius Williams so bad?

Comment

I don't see either as standout receivers, but that's just me. Derrick Mason had a 1000 yard season, but he's 34.

It's obvious Boller sucks, but I didn't think Troy Smith did bad when he started. I believe he fumbled once or twice, but he didn't throw any INT's. I have no reason not to think that unless the Ravens bring in another QB, Troy Smith will start for them. He might not be a great QB in the NFL, but I think that he's good enough to make them pass over a QB in the first two rounds.

I think they ultimately should spend mid round picks on both QB and WR, unless a player falls to them.
            - Also known as Dan.

Comment

I didn't see the pocket passing from Troy Smith ... since nothing was there for him he just ran around which is what he is comfortable doing...and once defensive coordinators know how to strategize for this he will be shut down in this area because they will not respect his deep ball.

I mean Baltimore has needs to fill at QB, CB, and other positions. Some position of need will be left out.

Comment

Agree with Blazed, Mason is getting old and Clayton is mediocre.
                2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Comment

I think their front seven can wait another season. They need to address the secondary (McKelvin/DRC), and after that, I think that their defense is fine. I don't see a need to solidify the linebacking corps (Ray Lewis is old, but they can always trade up to take Laurinaitis/Maualuga in 2009). So with their second and fourth round picks, they can acquire a QB and a WR.
                  - Also known as Dan.

Comment

Yeah but Walter come on: Steve McNair and Kyle Boller. Something to be said for the horrible quarterback play here.

I mean if Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm are so great wouldn't he make the talent in Baltimore that much better?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      Yeah but Walter come on: Steve McNair and Kyle Boller. Something to be said for the horrible quarterback play here.

I mean if Matt Ryan or Brian Brohm are so great wouldn't he make the talent in Baltimore that much better?
                      They probably would make the receiving corps look better, but I still don't think there's anyone on that team that makes defensive coordinators particularly nervous.
                      - Also known as Dan.

Comment

I just think you can find have a damn good draft without addressing one need on a team.

Every team is not going to fill every need and I'm sorry but my theory here has been proven time and time again because you guys forget how many times teams pass up on their primary need not just in the first round but in the first three altogether.

And a team I point to a lot like the Ravens this in this year's draft was Tampa last year.

Didn't address WR, they won their division.

Comment

But hey I'm glad to know that all that hard work I did went to the crapper just because I didn't have Baltimore going with a WR as a primary option. Because if it isn't perfect, it doesn't seem to be very good I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazedestin View Post
                            My biggest knock against the analysis is that it mentions nothing of the WR position. They lost Devard Darling, but he isn't elite talent. The Ravens lack an elite reciever, which they should address in the 2nd round (James Hardy?) or the 3rd/4th round (Mario Manningham? Andre Caldwell?)
                            Just a comment on drafting receivers. In my opinion it is more of a luxury pick. What I mean by that is that most receivers aren't involved in very many plays during a ball game (unless you're Hines Ward), so putting a draft pick into one with more glaring needs elsewhere seems to not make a lot of sense.

Of course you will get situations where teams have no good receivers (Titans), or where a talent is just too good to pass up (Calvin Johnson) but a receiver can't get the ball unless there is a QB who can throw it to him, and he can't do that without his o-line.

Comment

Yay! 1000 posts, I'm a "veteran"!

Comment

Working...
                              X