Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Season NFL Rule Changes

Among the proposals that were passed:

• A recommendation to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved. Now, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not. The intended result is more consistency.

• The "Phil Dawson field goal rule" change passed. Now, certain field goals can be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights. Under the previous system, no field goals could be replayed.

• Coaches can now defer a decision on the opening coin toss. This is similar to the college rule. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could only choose to receive or kick off.

• A direct snap from center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, it was ruled a false start.

• The 5-yard face mask penalty was eliminated. Now, only the serious face mask will be called (and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty). The major foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

I'm glad the 5 yard facemask is gone that was stupid if you accidently grabbed and let go of a facemask it was a penalty.
    WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
    Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I liked the 5 yarder if you just had it for 1 sec and then let go.

Comment

All of these rule changes are good for the league. I kinda liked the force out rule, but I'm in favor of any rule change that helps defense. Plus when it's called a force out (or not) and the replay suggests the opposite... it can really piss you off.

Comment

Approved NFL rule changes

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the five-yard face mask penalty was eliminated Wednesday, April 2. Now, only the serious face mask will be called and will be assessed as a 15-yard penalty. The major foul will involve twisting or grabbing the face mask.
          John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports a direct snap from the center that goes backward will now be treated as a fumble. Previously, a direct snap from the center was ruled as a false start.
          John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports NFL coaches can now defer a decision on the opening coin toss. Previously, the winner of the coin toss could only choose to receive or kick off.
          John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the proposal to review field goals was approved Wednesday, April 2. Certain field goals can now be reviewed by instant replay, including kicks that bounce off the uprights.
          John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the proposal to eliminate force-out decisions on pass completions near the sidelines was approved Wednesday, April 2. With the rule change, officials will only have to decide whether a receiver landed in bounds or not.
          In quick summary, 5-yard face mask is now legal. Pushing a wide reciever out of bounds while in the air is legal and effective pass defense...

Comment

VBsiena already posted this. I like all the rule changes.

Comment

They also pushed back the vote on the hair.
              If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
              Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Good changes. Especially the face mask thing.

Comment

I don't like the force out change.

Comment

ya but don't you think it will be so much more consistent without it? Because the push out wasn't reviewable.

Comment

Working...
                    X