Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnnyallstar
    replied
    Beyond that, they only ran the ball 5 times after being up 28-3. Classic Shanahan abandoning the run.

Leave a comment:

• Terps
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post
    It's surprising that more coaches don't realize that when you're up two scores in the 4th quarter your main opponent is the clock. Kill the clock, win the game. Falcons were trying to keep it somewhat uptempo, snapping the ball with ~20 seconds left on each play they had. Kill two more minutes on their two drives, or forcing out BB's timeouts should have completely changed the outcome of the game.
    This seemed like the dumbest part to me. I bet they could have taken off a whole 2 minutes had they simply not hiked the ball until the last 5 seconds or so once they were up 28-3. You already know as early as the 3rd quarter that time is at a premium for the Patriots--why voluntarily give them more of it? I guess you want to play the up-tempo game that got you the lead in the first place, but still, it just seems dumb.

Leave a comment:

• RoflDogs
    replied
    I just rewatched the second half. They rushed 3 three times after half and got a sack on one of them. They were with press man too.

Most of the time it was Cover 1 Press Man, and the receiver just beat their guys for the most part. Not one play where it looked like prevent

Leave a comment:

• kirmie
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue View Post
    How to blow a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl in three easy steps:

-Go into prevent defense in the 3rd quarter
    -Throw the ball in field goal range up 8 late in the 4th quarter
    -Throw over the middle tied in regulation with under a minute to play and no timeouts
    That's the one that amazed me. Matt Ryan hangs out with Stafford in the offseason so Stafford will have to teach him how to score with no timeouts and a short clock. In exchange I hope that Ryan teaches Stafford how to win a playoff game against GB.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyallstar
    replied
    Rofl, Blue, you're both kinda right. Atlanta does primarily run a Cover 1 defense, and they were only rushing with 3 by the end, but that's a major part of their defense. Frequently they'll throw up 4 man fronts and have one drop into coverage, like what happened on the pick-6 earlier in the game. I think they were trying to trap Brady into another bad pass with it like they had with the interception, but Brady didn't fall for the look again.

The problem was they went entirely into that look and stopped rushing 4 at all. And Brady with time will murder you, no matter how good your coverage is.

Leave a comment:

• JLash
    replied
    Originally posted by Johnnyallstar View Post
    It's surprising that more coaches don't realize that when you're up two scores in the 4th quarter your main opponent is the clock. Kill the clock, win the game. Falcons were trying to keep it somewhat uptempo, snapping the ball with ~20 seconds left on each play they had. Kill two more minutes on their two drives, or forcing out BB's timeouts should have completely changed the outcome of the game.
    If anything to give their own defense a rest. They had absolutely nothing left at the end of that game.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnyallstar
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blue
    replied
    Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
    They didn't really go to a prevent. They played straight cover 1 man the whole game.
    Wrong. I saw them rushing three by the start of the fourth quarter.

I think they also pulled Beasley off the field for obvious passing downs by the 4th quarter, but I'm not sure on that. I know they didn't have him rushing the passer on several of those downs, though.

Leave a comment:

• RoflDogs
    replied
    They didn't really go to a prevent. They played straight cover 1 man the whole game. The defense just played way too many snaps and got tired out

Shanahan tried to be way too cute. You should remain aggressive with like a 7 point lead. At 25 points, you should be playing ball control, especially with Freeman having a good game

Leave a comment:

• Ragnarok
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue View Post

-Throw over the middle tied in regulation with under a minute to play and no timeouts
    I'm still amazed by that.

Leave a comment:

• Blue
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Xmadraven
    replied
    Brady's the GOAT, He earned it....Mother F***er he couldn't retire and go out like a champ now he has to annoy us for another 3-5 years.

Leave a comment:

• SanchoPanza
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lenny
    replied
    Manning > Brady

Leave a comment:

• Vbsiena
    replied
    Football is dead to me.

Leave a comment: