X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt McGuire's Pre-Draft Analysis: Minnesota Vikings

http://walterfootball.com/mattpredraftmin.php
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Liked the report on the Browns. And Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas are Brother In Laws.
    If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
    Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

You know what... I actually agree with a lot of what Matt said about the Vikings draft. In fact, I went into it ready to rip it to shreds, fully expecting him to have the Vikings trading up to draft (what I consider to be a terrible excuse for an NFL QB) Andre Woodson as a first day selection. Yet, only one plug for Woodson was made, and outside of that, I think the analysis is mostly spot-on. The Vikings mainly need an NFL worthy QB (which they currently do not have), a good DE and some depth at a few positions like Right Tackle and Defensive Tackle.

Well said Matt!

The only issue (other than Woodson pimping) that I would correct would be the complete lack of mention with relation to Brian Brohm. I know you don't think Brohm is what Childress is looking for in a QB, but I don't know why you would think that Woodson is any better. Woodson possess no QB skills in which he is superior, or even equal, to Brohm. That is, other than arguably his ability to run, but since Brohm runs a faster 40 (4.69) than does Woodson (4.85), I think that arguement is pretty much moot at this point. Brohm's accuracy, football smarts and ability to by time in the pocket make him what seems like a tailor made fit for the Vikings version of the West Coast Offense. So, I think it would be foolhardy to overlook him as a potential candidate for the Vikings on draft day.

Obviously both Walter and Matt know their stuff quite well, and I think it shows because I feel like I know the Vikings organization extremely well, and what they've said about the organization I pretty much agree with.
      sigpic
      WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
      PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
      NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
      Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
      Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
      MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
      PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
      Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
      Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
      ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
      Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
      TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
      InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
      Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
      EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
      EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
      Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
      BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
      Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Not bad for the Vikes.
        If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
        Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Woodson's arm strength, clutch play abiliity in big games, and experience against top level competition puts the whole Brian Brohm QB skills to ****ing rest.

Plus Woodson's competitiveness...Brohm is a puss for not playing in the Senior Bowl. Woodson is much tougher than Brohm and played through a lot of injuries at Kentucky plus he stays in the pocket and can take a hit before getting the ball off.

There really is no doubt in my mind that Woodson is the better QB, BUT Brohm is a better fit in the West Coast Offense.
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Oustanding job again Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              Woodson's arm strength, clutch play abiliity in big games, and experience against top level competition puts the whole Brian Brohm QB skills to ****ing rest.

Plus Woodson's competitiveness...Brohm is a puss for not playing in the Senior Bowl. Woodson is much tougher than Brohm and played through a lot of injuries at Kentucky plus he stays in the pocket and can take a hit before getting the ball off.

There really is no doubt in my mind that Woodson is the better QB, BUT Brohm is a better fit in the West Coast Offense.
              You see, I beg to differ on all of those fronts, other than the fact that Brohm will make a better WCO QB.

Brohm has better accuracy than Woodson.
              The most accurate passer in Big East history.

Brohm is smarter than Woodson.
              Brohm has the best Wonderlic score in the entire combine.

Brohm plays better in the pocket.
              Woodson holds onto the ball to long and his release is too slow. This was exposed at the senior bowl, and again at the Kentucky Pro Day.

Brohm has a better arm than Woodson.
              Only Joe Flacco threw a harder ball in the combine.

Brohm is faster than Woodson.
              Better 40 time for Brohm.

Brohm did better than Woodson in the Senior Bowl.
              Brohm chose not to play, yes, but Woodson S-U-C-K-E-D.

Right now, I just don't see what all of the hype about Woodson is. I don't see him as a first day selection, in fact, I'll be he drops to somewhere around the middle of the 3rd round. Sure, he's not a bad QB... but I just don't think it would be logical for a team to take him over Brohm, Ryan, Flacco or Henne based on his ability to play QB.

Still though, I know I'm not going to convince you on that front, just as I'm sure that you're not going to convince me the other way. So, let's just agree to disagree and move on. Once again, I'd like to pass out some kudos for an overall job well done on the Vikings draft analysis that you put together.
              Last edited by ZN0rseman; 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM.
              sigpic
              WFB Comments on Vikings @ Steelers Game Rigging
              PuppyPuncher:"It sure was nice enough of Roger Goodell to let the refs from Ark-Florida officiate the Vikings-Steelers game"
              NoNonsenseCoach:"As a Steelers fan living in Pittsburgh I can still admit that tripping penalty was a complete ghost call."
              Simonds:"The tripping call was awful, yes, but there were a number of other absurd calls that went against the Vikings, including a DEFENSIVE delay of game penalty against the Vikings only called after a failed attempt to convert a third and 2 by the Steelers. Even the commentators were utterly floored that the refs made that call."
              Wraith36444:"A shady tripping call on Minnesota essentially gave the game to the Steelers. The Vikings were the better team, but it is too hard to beat a decent team and the refs. Oh and Harvin is the man."
              MaineMan:"I have to agree that it was an awful call and that it changed the outcome. Overall a great game by the Vikes and tragic that the well-deserved victory was stolen away like that."
              PaddyPatriot:"I've seen this play and I have to agree, I can't believe they called it tripping"
              Johndoe:"You know the officiating is bad when a Steeler's fan, like myself, thinks it was pretty bad."
              Steelers_Pens_Fan:"I will admit that the whole "tripping" thing probably shouldn't have been a flag."
              ZN0rseman:"It's great to know that good old fashioned pro football game rigging is still alive and well in America."
              Klunker18:"I'm with Z on this one. Definitely one of those games that makes you wonder if the NFL wants certain teams to win."
              TRICKaz"I agree that was a BS call"
              InjuredReserve:"Have yet to hear anyone say it was the right call. Seems as if the Vikings were cheated a bit."
              Eagles4Life:"Coaches just need to be able to challenge penalties"
              EL_Guapo:"The tripping call was bad, the delay of game was stupid Either way, the Vikings showed they are a top team."
              EllijayFalconsFan:"The tripping penalty was rediculous."
              Archon095:"Even as a Steeler fan I agree that the call was bull."
              BroncosCon:"I'm sorry that was a total bull**** call and it changed the outcome of the game. Pittsburgh still won, but it was almost like Denver winning at Cincy."

Tony Dungy:"The Vikings are just one bad tripping penalty away from being undefeated.
              Jon Gruden:"That was just a bad, bad call. It cost the Vikings an important win at Pittsburgh, and it could really hurt them in the post season."

Comment

Woodson does not have the prototypical body. I can't wait 5 years down the road, when Brian Brohm has a ring and Andre is playing in the CFL.

Comment

Originally posted by ZN0rseman View Post
                  You see, I beg to differ on all of those fronts, other than the fact that Brohm will make a better WCO QB.

Woodson holds onto the ball to long and his release is too slow. This was exposed at the senior bowl, and again at the Kentucky Pro Day.

Right now, I just don't see what all of the hype about Woodson is. I don't see him as a first day selection, in fact, I'll be he drops to somewhere around the middle of the 3rd round. Sure, he's not a bad QB... but I just don't think it would be logical for a team to take him over Brohm, Ryan, Flacco or Henne based on his ability to play QB.

Still though, I know I'm not going to convince you on that front, just as I'm sure that you're not going to convince me the other way. So, let's just agree to disagree and move on. Once again, I'd like to pass out some kudos for an overall job well done on the Vikings draft analysis that you put together.
                  You should go dig up the topics from way back in the middle of the season where Matt had Woodson as a top 10 pick. I disputed it every time. I don't thin he's first day talent although not a terrible option at QB. Slow release can be corrected and I'm not really worried about that, but if you aren't accurate in the NFL you won't be starting for too long.

I think Woodson has a better arm than Brohm despite how fast Brohm threw at the combine. No doubt the edge for accuracy and pocket presence go to Brohm. 40 time can be thrown out the window since they're both pocket QBs. Lol and I love you're comment about Brohm having a better senior bowl! Hahaha I laughed out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                    Woodson does not have the prototypical body. I can't wait 5 years down the road, when Brian Brohm has a ring and Andre is playing in the CFL.
                    Not sure how serious you were about the CFL, but I think Woodson will be a decent QB. Nothing great. He'll make a few plays like every QB does, but I imagine his whole career to be something like a Brian Griese.

Comment

Dead ****ing serious.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                        6'4 1/2 230. That's prototype.

Comment

SEC and Brohm played in an easy passing offense. Dave RAgone, Stefan Lefors, Chris Redman.

Two Words: Alex Smith. Wonderlics are overrated. Woodson showed a very good understand of an offense in protection schemes and calling audibles in his senior year (checked out of 50% of plays vs. LSU).

Woodson got rid of his hitch at his pro day. I'd like to see how easy it is for Brohm to play in the SEC...the speed at defensive back in the Big East isn't in the same galaxy as the SEC ... or on the DLs. Plus Woodson's OL was garbage for most of his career.

Coaches Tape...watch UCONN and Rutgers. Brohm has a below average arm, but an extremely accurate one.

Did you see Tom Brady's 40 time? What do you think Peyton Manning would run in the 40?

Woodson didn't suck. He didn't play great but he didn't play bad imo. I want to see a QB manage himself and learn the offense at the Senior Bowl. Not throw every pick on the money...I don't need to watch a Senior Bowl to know how good a QB is...I WATCH GAME FILM.

Hype? Most think he is a 3rd or 4th round pick. Time well tell. I think if a raw QB like Vince Young can do it, then Woodson can be much better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            SEC and Brohm played in an easy passing offense. Dave RAgone, Stefan Lefors, Chris Redman.

Two Words: Alex Smith. Wonderlics are overrated. Woodson showed a very good understand of an offense in protection schemes and calling audibles in his senior year (checked out of 50% of plays vs. LSU).

Woodson got rid of his hitch at his pro day. I'd like to see how easy it is for Brohm to play in the SEC...the speed at defensive back in the Big East isn't in the same galaxy as the SEC ... or on the DLs. Plus Woodson's OL was garbage for most of his career.

Coaches Tape...watch UCONN and Rutgers. Brohm has a below average arm, but an extremely accurate one.

Did you see Tom Brady's 40 time? What do you think Peyton Manning would run in the 40?

Woodson didn't suck. He didn't play great but he didn't play bad imo. I want to see a QB manage himself and learn the offense at the Senior Bowl. Not throw every pick on the money...I don't need to watch a Senior Bowl to know how good a QB is...I WATCH GAME FILM.

Hype? Most think he is a 3rd or 4th round pick. Time well tell. I think if a raw QB like Vince Young can do it, then Woodson can be much better than that.
                            Are you saying Woodson is a better prospect than Vince Young?
                            Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

Originally posted by regoob2 View Post
                              Are you saying Woodson is a better prospect than Vince Young?
                              Absolutely. I had Vince Young at a high 2nd round draft grade. I have Woodson at a mid 1st.

Vince Young's mechanics (Woodson only has 1 mechanical flaw...he doesn't have bad mechanics just bad mecanic ...singular) especially footwork was horrendous and this is the most important mechanical quality in my opinion.

His football IQ was really bad he couldn't read defenses.

BUT HE HAD ELITE POISE. Woodson has the best poise since VY.

Comment

Working...
                              X