Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Stafford film breakdown & article

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...40300361.shtml

I tivo'd USC vs. UGA which I was really excited to see especially considering USC has one of the fastest defenses in the country. My thoughts on Stafford's play:

*Elite Arm Strength ... it's up there with Jamarcus Russell. Kid was born with a rocket launcher for a right arm.

*Lacks poise ... I just don't see it. Doesn't like to stand in the pocket and take a hit.

*Poor footwork ... this is an area that all young players need to improve (except Sam Bradford who is great here). I think Stafford should progress here.

*Poor accuracy ... this is a must area where he needs to improve if he wants to be a first round pick.

*Nice touch on the football ... comes out really smooth. Not wobbly at all.

*Work on read progressions ... a must in the WCO and especially in the SEC.

Assessment: Jamarcus Russell made huge leaps as a junior, Stafford could as well. But as of right now, it is all hype and not enough substance. He needs to step up.
    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 04-11-2008, 03:20 AM.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

So guys put down your thoughts on my evalution and please include you own!

Comment

I agree on the arm strength. He has one of the strongest I have seen live. And that was in the bowl game during his true freshman year.

As for the footwork, he had to play as true freshman, which usually hinders development in that area. I think he'll work that out.

Accuracy... I don't know. I haven't payed close enough attention. Accuracy also goes hand-in-hand with line play (which wasn't great 2 years ago) and receivers (he hasn't had elite guys)

He throws a tight spiral.

Having Richt as his coach can only help Stafford's growth.
      Jacksonville Jaguars GM

2008 WalterFootball.com Mock Draft Selections:

Round 1, (26) Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
      Round 2, (58) Roy Schuening,G, Oregon State
      Round 3, (71) Eddie Royal, WR/KR, Virginia Tech
      Round 3, (89) Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
      Round 4, (125) Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
      Round 5, (147) Tommy Blake, DE, TCU
      Round 5, (158) Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
      Round 5, (159) Erik Ainge, QB, Tennessee

Comment

Yeah because Richt has groomed so many elite pro QBs (though I like the offense UGA runs) in Shockley and Greene.

The accuracy can't be blamed on his receivers (although they suck ... I just blame the drops) because Stafford is pretty bad here so far...someitmes I think he throws the ball too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
          Yeah because Richt has groomed so many elite pro QBs (though I like the offense UGA runs) in Shockley and Greene.

The accuracy can't be blamed on his receivers (although they suck ... I just blame the drops) because Stafford is pretty bad here so far...someitmes I think he throws the ball too hard.
          I definitely saw that his freshman year, I agree. Sometimes it just looked like the receivers couldn't handle the heat, and he tried too hard, leading to a ton of drops.

His sophomore year, he relaxed, didn't make many mistakes, and kinda let Brown and Moreno carry the team to the Sugar Bowl to get more comfortable.

This year, I do see him as breaking out, especially with the addition of elite receivers (Isreal Troupe, AJ Green, Tavarres King) and defenders worrying about Knowshon.

I do agree with most of what you said, but by USC, I assume you mean South Carolina? Because that was early in the year...Stafford made some extremely impressive throws requiring power and accuracy in the Florida (Mikey Henderson and Mo Massaquoi's catches) and Auburn games (Sean Bailey) as well as others. The spring game this year, his throw to Moore was a downfield shot that was put exactly where it needed to be. I think his accuracy is on its way, and Stafford will come into his own this junior year as you said he needs to.

I'm not sure how you measure poise other than confidence, and I think this year he'll be comfortably confident. Good assessment.

(As a side note, Logan Gray, the QB of the future, made a ridiculously awesome needle-threading touchdown throw in the spring game. Definitely excited for his coming out season a few years down the line as well).

Comment

Well poise is how calm and smooth you play when there is pressure in a football game.

Colt Brennan is very confident, but he doesn't have any poise when he plays a real football team.

Also, McWatt I think it is unfair to depend on freshman (especially WRs) to come in and be immediate contributors, but it looks like that is what UGA has to do this season.

I'm really excited to see what AJ Green can do, probably more so than any other freshman in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
              Well poise is how calm and smooth you play when there is pressure in a football game.

Colt Brennan is very confident, but he doesn't have any poise when he plays a real football team.

Also, McWatt I think it is unfair to depend on freshman (especially WRs) to come in and be immediate contributors, but it looks like that is what UGA has to do this season.

I'm really excited to see what AJ Green can do, probably more so than any other freshman in the country.
              Fair enough about the poise. We completely shattered Brennan in the Sugar Bowl, no other way to describe it.

With a tough schedule and national title hopes, Stafford will definitely put such poise on display this year, for better or for worse.

I do agree about the receivers. I'm just hoping that Moore continues to be as effective as he was in the spring game, and that MoMassaquoi steps up his senior year, so that we can use the new blood weapons without breaking them.

AJ doesn't get here until the fall, so I fear he may redshirt, but I imagine his talent will keep that from happening, especially with our lacking receiving core.

Comment

I think the adding of good recievers will help him alot with his reads. Usually when a recieving core is not so good a QB tends to lock on to the best guy and try and get him the ball no matter what. And because of this I see both Stafford and Josh Freeman getting much better than they currently are. Had to throw Freeman out there because thats who I though of when I started thinking about Stafford.

Comment

Working...
                X