Quarterback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarterback

Does anyone have any info on how many decent QB's have come out of the recent drafts (2006 and earlier)? Lets quantify 'decent' with being capable of starting for at least 1 nfl team this year.

My guess is no more than 2 on average per year, which begs to question, why are people fighting over the 3rd best QB when its almost certain he will not make a positive impact?
    Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

2006- Young, Cutler, Clemens, Jackson, and Leinart all started at some point in '08

2005- Smith, Campbell, Frye, Anderson

2004- Rivers, Roethlisberger, Losman, Manning, Schaub

2003- Palmer, Leftwich, Grossman, Boller

2002- Carr, Harrington, Garrard, Mccown

2001- Brees, Rosenfels (and Vick)

2000- Pennington, Bulger, Brady

1999- Mcnabb, Culpepper

1998- Manning, Hasselbeck

After that it gets pretty thin, but there is alot of players in recent drafts who are decent by your criteria.
    www.5qsports.com, get some.
    "Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic."
    -Crash Davis, Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Drumsteroo View Post
      My guess is no more than 2 on average per year, which begs to question, why are people fighting over the 3rd best QB when its almost certain he will not make a positive impact?
      Now I think Woodson could make a possitive impact this year. Flacco could make an impact this year with the right team. Henne could start some time this year in the right situation (Heaven forbid). Remember the Tom Brady incodent?
      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
      Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

If Woodson can live up to the poise that Matt describes, then he could potentially be the best placeholder of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
          If Woodson can live up to the poise that Matt describes, then he could potentially be the best placeholder of all time.
          Not bad coach

Comment

He can be better than a place holder NNC. All he needs is a tweek in his mechanics and he will be a great quarterback. Everything he has problems with are easily improved while his strengths are the tough things in the game.
            If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
            Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              2006- Young, Cutler, Clemens, Jackson, and Leinart all started at some point in '08

2005- Smith, Campbell, Frye, Anderson

2004- Rivers, Roethlisberger, Losman, Manning, Schaub

2003- Palmer, Leftwich, Grossman, Boller

2002- Carr, Harrington, Garrard, Mccown

2001- Brees, Rosenfels (and Vick)

2000- Pennington, Bulger, Brady

1999- Mcnabb, Culpepper

1998- Manning, Hasselbeck

After that it gets pretty thin, but there is alot of players in recent drafts who are decent by your criteria.

I should have rephrased that, I meant that should actually start for an NFL team this year, not forced into starting by circumstance ( i.e. alex smith)

That eliminates culpepper (well give him an exception due to injury, but moss made his career), pennington, vick, carr, harrington, mccown, grossman, boller, leftwich, fry, jackson and smith.

I use this criteria because when they say 'franchise QB', that should be a guy starting for you for 10 years that belongs in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
                He can be better than a place holder NNC. All he needs is a tweek in his mechanics and he will be a great quarterback. Everything he has problems with are easily improved while his strengths are the tough things in the game.
                Well I was obviously making a joke, but to seriously respond to your comment, lots of players lose accuracy when you tweak their mechanics (this goes for all sports) and Woodson's accuracy isn't good enough to take a hit. Little technique changes aren't a big deal for other positions, but for QBs, Ks, and Ps they could make a huge difference.

No clue why people are so in love with this kid on this board and talk about him like he's the second coming of John Elway. He has potential to be the greatest placeholder of all time or a great QB (which he won't live up to).

I don't dislike Woodson though, so I'm pulling for his holding abilities.

Comment

yet you mock drafted him to the bears?

Comment

2004 and 1999 draft classes are the only ones of late that can compare to this 2008 draft class, which is strong at QB imo.

5 maybe 6 starters that is very good.
                    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

yet you mock drafted him to the bears?
                      Lol honestly I talk down on him a little more than I fell about him just because Matt talks so highly of him. At that point in the draft though all the better QBs were gone, and I figured I had to pull the trigger now because Rex Grossman isn't the answer most likely and the QB class next year is weak.

Comment

I should have rephrased that, I meant that should actually start for an NFL team this year, not forced into starting by circumstance ( i.e. alex smith)

That eliminates culpepper (well give him an exception due to injury, but moss made his career), pennington, vick, carr, harrington, mccown, grossman, boller, leftwich, fry, jackson and smith.

I use this criteria because when they say 'franchise QB', that should be a guy starting for you for 10 years that belongs in the NFL.
                        Grossman, Jackson, Smith, and Pennington I'm pretty sure will all start for their teams and not due to circumstance. They were all drafted to be their respective teams starters for the future and will only NOT start due to circumstances (Injuries or someone like Henne or Flacco playing well in Offseason)

As for your comment about franchise QBs you may have noticed they are very difficult to find and high draft picks or draft picks at all (think Kurt Warner) doesnt mean they are going to be your franchise QB. Yes, Peyton went #1 and has lived up to his draft, Eli appears to be backing up his selection as #1, Big Ben has already won a Superbowl, Carson has put up big numbers but no much else, but to be honest most teams havent got franchise QBs or found them in unusual places (think Tom Brady, David Garrard, and Matt Hasselbeck) so really all that we've proven is that its difficult, despite what Mike Mayock might say, to find a franchise QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke #28 View Post
                          Grossman, Jackson, Smith, and Pennington I'm pretty sure will all start for their teams and not due to circumstance. They were all drafted to be their respective teams starters for the future and will only NOT start due to circumstances (Injuries or someone like Henne or Flacco playing well in Offseason)

As for your comment about franchise QBs you may have noticed they are very difficult to find and high draft picks or draft picks at all (think Kurt Warner) doesnt mean they are going to be your franchise QB. Yes, Peyton went #1 and has lived up to his draft, Eli appears to be backing up his selection as #1, Big Ben has already won a Superbowl, Carson has put up big numbers but no much else, but to be honest most teams havent got franchise QBs or found them in unusual places (think Tom Brady, David Garrard, and Matt Hasselbeck) so really all that we've proven is that its difficult, despite what Mike Mayock might say, to find a franchise QB.

Thank you for pointing that out, I was under the impression that Kurt Warner was a 1st round draft pick In all honesty though, that is a good assessment, but only proves that a team with as many needs as Chicago should not be messing around with drafting a 'maybe' quarterback when there are other players on the board. When you are this bad, your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rd picks at least should be battling to start as rookies, using one of those on a QB to ride the pine when he is not an elite prospect is a wasted pick imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke #28 View Post
                            They are starting becaus thier teams are horrible at judging QB talent. Grossman is NOT an NFL starter, jackson should be in the CFL, Pennington and his limp noodle arm should be holding a clipboard for clemens and smith is a colossal bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                              2004 and 1999 draft classes are the only ones of late that can compare to this 2008 draft class, which is strong at QB imo.

5 maybe 6 starters that is very good.
                              You really see 5 or 6 starting caliber QB's in this draft? Besides the future hall of famer Andre Woodson, of course. It is unrealistic that every QB rated highly in the draft will succeed, Which QB's do you feel have the least chance of turning into a good pro of those 6 on your list?

Comment

Working...
                              X