Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The newsiest trend in the League today is:

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The newsiest trend in the League today is:

    For a lack of a better description….I will simply call it “The Joe Thomas trend”

    Conventional wisdom says you only take an elite LT prospect in the top 5 picks.
    Now because of the successes of the Browns offensive line play in 2007. OL prospects will go ahead of better prospects, because this is a copy cat league.

    Joe Thomas was a big reason why the Browns OL was better in 2007, but he was not the only reason. OC Hank Fraley may not be a great looking player, but make no mistakes about it, he is the General of that line and his play has been solid. LG Eric Steinbach, even though he was snubbed from the Pro-Bowl, played better then any of his peers at his position last season.
    The biggest reason for their success was the fact that they also had good depth. RG Seth McKinney was lost for the season in the 8th game of the year, but Ryan Tucker took over and the line play actually improved. Something that rarely is mentioned is how offensive line Coach Steve Marshall was hired in January 2007 and was another reason for their improvement in 2007.

    This year barring key injuries they should be even better, because of continuity and they also improved their depth. Either Seth McKinney, Rex Hadnot or LeCharles Bentley can man the RG slot they can then move Ryan Tucker back to RT and have Kevin Shaffer as back-up depth at either tackle position.

    This year’s draft is very deep at the OT position, but players that in other years that would have come off the board with the 15th - 20th picks maybe picked in the top10 picks.

    Joe Thomas is an elite LT and was deserving of a # 3 selection last year, but was still just one gear of the OL engine for the Browns last season. Selecting lesser talent in the top10 picks this year might just backfire. Especially if this new trend continues.
    Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

  • #2
    Thomas was an elite LT prospect. LT and RDE are the most valuable positions in the NFL.

    You are wrong that there will be a lot of T top ten picks this year.

    Only ones that can go top 10 are Jake Long and Ryan Clady to the Chiefs at #5.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

    Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

    Comment


    • #3
      I pretty sure the newest trend to sweep the NFL will be the 4-3 Inside Pass Rusher (Justin Tuck).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
        Thomas was an elite LT prospect. LT and RDE are the most valuable positions in the NFL.

        You are wrong that there will be a lot of T top ten picks this year.

        Only ones that can go top 10 are Jake Long and Ryan Clady to the Chiefs at #5.
        I think their could be as many as 3 OL players in the top 10 picks, but in most years the only player I could foresee going in the top 10 picks would be Jake Long.
        Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

        Comment


        • #5
          lol oh yeah what a recent trend...it is called the Warren Sapp trend it has been around for a very long time.

          I've already outlined the draft trend in my blog.

          www.walterfootball.com/mattblog.php
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

          Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
            I think their could be as many as 3 OL players in the top 10 picks, but in most years the only player I could foresee going in the top 10 picks would be Jake Long.
            Well you are wrong because Clady has a lot of upside.

            Okay you say 3 OLs in the top 10 picks.

            Tell me who and tell me where and tell me why. Otherwise, as usual, you are just talking and not backing up your statements with logic.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

            Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

            Comment


            • #7
              I meant moving your DEs inside on 3rd down. The Saints are already prepared to do it next year with the signing of Bobby McCray.

              Comment


              • #8
                Um this has been going on for a while. Mario Williams did this in his rookie season.

                It is nothing new and teams do draft pass rush specialist DTs. Derek Landri is a perfect example for the Jaguars.

                Also most teams know the value of 3 tecniques...problem is the DT talent in the draft has been horrid, but this draft is loaded at that position.
                2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                  Um this has been going on for a while. Mario Williams did this in his rookie season.

                  It is nothing new and teams do draft pass rush specialist DTs. Derek Landri is a perfect example for the Jaguars.

                  Also most teams know the value of 3 tecniques...problem is the DT talent in the draft has been horrid, but this draft is loaded at that position.
                  ...


                  Why don't you just **** on my entire life?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                    ...


                    Why don't you just **** on my entire life?
                    There isn't much to **** on.
                    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                    Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                      Well you are wrong because Clady has a lot of upside.

                      Okay you say 3 OLs in the top 10 picks.

                      Tell me who and tell me where and tell me why. Otherwise, as usual, you are just talking and not backing up your statements with logic.
                      Well I think Jake Long is a Lock to go top 2 and because he wont be there when the Chiefs are on the clock at #5 they will take Ryan Clady, because they are about as compelled to taking an offense tackle as they have totally neglected to address the biggest need on their team. it’s a shame too, because they would otherwise had been looking at Sedrick Ellis.

                      Everyone thinks Bill Belicheck has to pick defense with this pick, but I think its been dually noted that their interior offense line play in the Super- Bowl is a glaring hole. Belicheck’s forte
                      Is defense and he typically thinks he can get more for less talent on that side of the ball and he does every year. That’s why when a CB that has had success in his system wants top 5 dollars, he lets them go. that’s a fact. Unless Chris Long or Vernon Gholston would somehow drop to them (not likely) they will take Branden Albert.
                      Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
                        Well I think Jake Long is a Lock to go top 2 and because he wont be there when the Chiefs are on the clock at #5 they will take Ryan Clady, because they are about as compelled to taking an offense tackle as they have totally neglected to address the biggest need on their team. it’s a shame too, because they would otherwise had been looking at Sedrick Ellis.

                        Everyone thinks Bill Belicheck has to pick defense with this pick, but I think its been dually noted that their interior offense line play in the Super- Bowl is a glaring hole. Belicheck’s forte
                        Is defense and he typically thinks he can get more for less talent on that side of the ball and he does every year. That’s why when a CB that has had success in his system wants top 5 dollars, he lets them go. that’s a fact. Unless Chris Long or Vernon Gholston would somehow drop to them (not likely) they will take Branden Albert.
                        I don't see any problems with their offensive line. They were a predictable offense, which allowed the Giants' defensive line to pin their ears back and all out pass rush. Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal are solid guards and Matt Light, is pretty good even though he struggles against speed.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                          I don't see any problems with their offensive line. They were a predictable offense, which allowed the Giants' defensive line to pin their ears back and all out pass rush. Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal are solid guards and Matt Light, is pretty good even though he struggles against speed.
                          If The Patriots line would have given him more time Brady would have picked them apart, because when you simply rush the passer as a defense you have then put more pressure on your secondary defense. All the good offenses are predictable, they just execute their will better then the defense they are facing.
                          Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
                            If The Patriots line would have given him more time Brady would have picked them apart, because when you simply rush the passer as a defense you have then put more pressure on your secondary defense. All the good offenses are predictable, they just execute their will better then the defense they are facing.
                            Who do you think always wins the pass protection drills in practice?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                              Who do you think always wins the pass protection drills in practice?
                              I don’t think that’s a relative statement, because the only thing that counts is game time. Plenty of players perform good in practice, but fail to produce in game situations.
                              Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X