Clear All

• huskers3333
    replied
    Could Matt Light play RT?

Leave a comment:

• huskers3333
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    Because if you pass a lot it really isn't worth it to draft a guard at #7 as opposed to a tackle (if they were to go that route which they won't) or another position.

The Pats are drafting a CB (McKelvin most likely) or Keith Rivers. Lock it up.
    Ya, that's as close to a lock as there is imo, as far as picking a certian position.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by huskers3333 View Post
    i don't think they'll draft albert either, but what does the pass heavy offense have to do with anything?
    Because if you pass a lot it really isn't worth it to draft a guard at #7 as opposed to a tackle (if they were to go that route which they won't) or another position.

The Pats are drafting a CB (McKelvin most likely) or Keith Rivers. Lock it up.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Bill Belicheck doesn't feel he needs a shut down corner?

So he wants the offensive WRs to be wide open?

lol saying you don't want a shut down corner is like saying you don't want a HOF quarterback.

Also the value of corners at #7 is huge (especially with McKelvin who fits the pats scheme).

I don't see any chance a team drafts a guard at No. 7, especially in the Pats pass-heavy offense.
    LOL…… well what about protecting their HOF QB? And no he uses mostly zone coverage’s in his secondary so he thinks he can protect his secondary with a good DL and a good pass rush. thats where he puts his money on defense.

Leave a comment:

• huskers3333
    replied

lol saying you don't want a shut down corner is like saying you don't want a HOF quarterback.

Also the value of corners at #7 is huge (especially with McKelvin who fits the pats scheme).

I don't see any chance a team drafts a guard at No. 7, especially in the Pats pass-heavy offense.
    i don't think they'll draft albert either, but what does the pass heavy offense have to do with anything?

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by huskers3333 View Post
    roy sheuning (however you spell it) at guard would be better than Stephan Neal.
    yes he might be a good pick, Stephan Neal has served them well, but he is getting old and is not a good pass blocker anyway. I just think if Branden Albert is on the board and he might not be. they will take him. Branden Albert
    Is a special talent and is a highly rated OL prospect, so It’s not like they would be getting a bum. I think there will be better value with a CB with the 61st pick then the OL.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Why don't the Pats have their second round selection?
    Bill Belichick is meticulously anal when he knows he has a chink in his armor. He has signed two CB’s, nothing to write home about, but as I have stated before he typically thinks he can get more for less on that side of the ball and doesn’t feel he needs a shout down corner on his defense. I think he would go LB with the 7th pick before he takes a CB that high. He likes to use his high picks on the DL and get veteran LB’s threw FA if given the choice.

Leave a comment:

• huskers3333
    replied
    roy sheuning (however you spell it) at guard would be better than Stephan Neal.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Okay they do the 61st pick. who at 61 would be an up grade?

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
    Wrong….Logan Mankins was a 1st round pick for the Patriots and they don’t have a second round selection.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by bufordht View Post
    yeah i'm with Matt. NE's OL was a strong point for them all season. the giants had one of the few DLs that could mess with them. also i think the Giants outplayed them... obviously. that doesnt mean that NE freaks and goes OL. none of their current OL were taken in the first so they have to believe they can find some competition in a later round.

as for OTs i could actually see them dropping a little more than expected because of the depth this year. teams who arent desperate know that they can get good talent in the 2nd so they'll go for some flashier picks. thats all
    Wrong….Logan Mankins was a 1st round pick for the Patriots and they don’t have a second round selection.

Leave a comment:

• bufordht
    replied
    yeah i'm with Matt. NE's OL was a strong point for them all season. the giants had one of the few DLs that could mess with them. also i think the Giants outplayed them... obviously. that doesnt mean that NE freaks and goes OL. none of their current OL were taken in the first so they have to believe they can find some competition in a later round.

as for OTs i could actually see them dropping a little more than expected because of the depth this year. teams who arent desperate know that they can get good talent in the 2nd so they'll go for some flashier picks. thats all

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by animal52 View Post
    Not that I agree with this or disagree, but a few years ago i sat next to an NFL scout on a plane trip. He said that the conventional wisdom in the league is to never draft an OL high unless he is an "enormous" talent.

Reason being that once you get below that Joe Thomas, Jake Long level the differences are not that great, an OL is only 1 person in a group of 5, and a satisfactory person can be gotten in the lower rounds. Good offensive lines are only good when they function as a 5 man unit (6 if you count the TE), not as good individuals.

He says that you use your high picks on people who can make impacts right away as individuals, the so called skill positions.
    You pretty much summed up my whole point of this thread. When you are looking at a blue chip talent you don’t reach for a red chip prospect even with a position of need. They still have to be BPA….you don’t draft a 4-3 DE if you run the 3-4 unless he can play OLB, you then look at the next player on your value board. That’s conventional wisdom.

Leave a comment:

• animal52
    replied
    Not that I agree with this or disagree, but a few years ago i sat next to an NFL scout on a plane trip. He said that the conventional wisdom in the league is to never draft an OL high unless he is an "enormous" talent.

Reason being that once you get below that Joe Thomas, Jake Long level the differences are not that great, an OL is only 1 person in a group of 5, and a satisfactory person can be gotten in the lower rounds. Good offensive lines are only good when they function as a 5 man unit (6 if you count the TE), not as good individuals.

He says that you use your high picks on people who can make impacts right away as individuals, the so called skill positions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X