X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
    Because Samuel wanted 10 million a year. TEN MILLION A YEAR. I don't think they could afford it.
    Like I said Bill does not like to pay a lot of money for his CB's

Leave a comment:

• Egg
    replied
    Well, being that I'm a Bears fan, here's to hoping one of the top three OT's are still on the board at 14.

Looking at it from an unbiased viewpoint though, drafting OL's high isn't a bad "trend" to copy. In my opinion, OT, DT, QB, and RB are the only positions worthy of a top 5 pick.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by Joey_Potter View Post
    Sorry but I have no choice but to disagree about one thing here. Ryan Tucker Jumped off sides more than the amount of games he played costing the Browns points many times. I wanted to slam him in the head with a beer bottle when he had 4 in one half one game. But the rest I agree with.
    Well why did the Coaching staff when reevaluating the OL say he graded higher then anyone of the starters in 2007. Tucker gives the Browns attitude on the OL and what he brings to the table far out ways his few mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• Joey_Potter
    replied
    Originally posted by FL_Dawg View Post
    For a lack of a better description….I will simply call it “The Joe Thomas trend”

Conventional wisdom says you only take an elite LT prospect in the top 5 picks.
    Now because of the successes of the Browns offensive line play in 2007. OL prospects will go ahead of better prospects, because this is a copy cat league.

Joe Thomas was a big reason why the Browns OL was better in 2007, but he was not the only reason. OC Hank Fraley may not be a great looking player, but make no mistakes about it, he is the General of that line and his play has been solid. LG Eric Steinbach, even though he was snubbed from the Pro-Bowl, played better then any of his peers at his position last season.
    The biggest reason for their success was the fact that they also had good depth. RG Seth McKinney was lost for the season in the 8th game of the year, but Ryan Tucker took over and the line play actually improved. Something that rarely is mentioned is how offensive line Coach Steve Marshall was hired in January 2007 and was another reason for their improvement in 2007.

This year barring key injuries they should be even better, because of continuity and they also improved their depth. Either Seth McKinney, Rex Hadnot or LeCharles Bentley can man the RG slot they can then move Ryan Tucker back to RT and have Kevin Shaffer as back-up depth at either tackle position.

This year’s draft is very deep at the OT position, but players that in other years that would have come off the board with the 15th - 20th picks maybe picked in the top10 picks.

Joe Thomas is an elite LT and was deserving of a # 3 selection last year, but was still just one gear of the OL engine for the Browns last season. Selecting lesser talent in the top10 picks this year might just backfire. Especially if this new trend continues.
    Sorry but I have no choice but to disagree about one thing here. Ryan Tucker Jumped off sides more than the amount of games he played costing the Browns points many times. I wanted to slam him in the head with a beer bottle when he had 4 in one half one game. But the rest I agree with.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    It's still alot of money to pay to a Rookie CB, one that has yet to prove himself.
    Most veterans haven't proven themselves either or totally suck.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    I think the Patriot's previous drafts have earned them the right to feel confident in their scouting department.

You also get to keep Moss who was arguably more instrumental to their success than the guy who dropped the pick in the Super Bowl.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
    The #7 pick isn't "big money" especially compared to Asante Samuel. Plus I think McKelvin has more natural talent than Asante.
    It's still alot of money to pay to a Rookie CB, one that has yet to prove himself.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    The #7 pick isn't "big money" especially compared to Asante Samuel. Plus I think McKelvin has more natural talent than Asante.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    I don’t agree…yes they have a hole at CB, but with Bill’s philosophy I think he would rather have a sure thing on the OL and take a CB in the third round, because I think he thinks he can protect a lesser talent in his scheme of things in the secondary. If they were going to spend big money on a CB then why would they not just resign Samuel?
    Because Samuel wanted 10 million a year. TEN MILLION A YEAR. I don't think they could afford it.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Neal is the weak link...OBVIOUSLY. ... The bottom line is you all forget there is more than one pick that the Pats have. They can draft a guard in round 3 or soemthing, and even then I don't see much of an upgrade (other than an Eric Young) over Neal that fits the Pats' scheme.

But they have a much weaker link at cornerback and the future of their ILB. The #7 pick will be corner or Rivers.
    I don’t agree…yes they have a hole at CB, but with Bill’s philosophy I think he would rather have a sure thing on the OL and take a CB in the third round, because I think he thinks he can protect a lesser talent in his scheme of things in the secondary. If they were going to spend big money on a CB then why would they not just resign Samuel?

Leave a comment:

• Drumsteroo
    replied
    Brady was protected extremely well for 18 games of the regular season. One game against the best DL in football doesn't refute that. The Patriots aren't picking OL at No. 7.

No chance the Pats go with OL, and I think a very good chance Jake Long is still on the board after the Rams pick.

We'll see who is right on draft day.
    How scary would the Rams defense become with Carriker AND Dorsey in the middle? That would be an incredible start to a defense, They can get one of the remaining OT at the top of rd 2.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Neal is the weak link...OBVIOUSLY. ... The bottom line is you all forget there is more than one pick that the Pats have. They can draft a guard in round 3 or soemthing, and even then I don't see much of an upgrade (other than an Eric Young) over Neal that fits the Pats' scheme.

But they have a much weaker link at cornerback and the future of their ILB. The #7 pick will be corner or Rivers.

Leave a comment:

• PuppyPuncher
    replied
    I think you have to put the credit where the credit is due. The Giants had a great game plan on defense and revealed a chink in the Patriots armor and more teams will look at that game and learn from their lead.

Stephen Neal is the weakest link in my opinion and Branden Albert I think is that player with his versatility to replace him.
    Justin Tuck admitted in an interview that a some parts were taken from the Jets. Eagles got the ball rolling anyways.

I agree that Stephen Neal isn't their best pass protector.

Leave a comment:

• FL_Dawg
    replied
    Well the Giants defense had a lot of underrated speed last year especially in its secondary.

But yeah the Patriots weakness is in their interior line they don't have much power, and so you can plug in two 3 techinques at DT like the Giants did (with Alford and Tuck) then just go with pure speed off the edge which the Giants had. Maroney was ineffective because his guards are all about versatility, pass pro, and intelligence...unlike the Buccaneers who have much more power in its interior line.

The Giants had the perfect DL to beat the Pats...maybe the only DL to beat the Pats.
    I think you have to put the credit where the credit is due. The Giants had a great game plan on defense and revealed a chink in the Patriots armor and more teams will look at that game and learn from their lead.

Stephen Neal is the weakest link in my opinion and Branden Albert I think is that player with his versatility to replace him.

Leave a comment:

• Matt McGuire
    replied
    Well the Giants defense had a lot of underrated speed last year especially in its secondary.

But yeah the Patriots weakness is in their interior line they don't have much power, and so you can plug in two 3 techinques at DT like the Giants did (with Alford and Tuck) then just go with pure speed off the edge which the Giants had. Maroney was ineffective because his guards are all about versatility, pass pro, and intelligence...unlike the Buccaneers who have much more power in its interior line.

The Giants had the perfect DL to beat the Pats...maybe the only DL to beat the Pats.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X