Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craig Smith's 2008 NFL Mock Draft - Updated 9/27

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Craig Smith's 2008 NFL Mock Draft - Updated 9/27

    http://walterfootball.com/draft2008_CRAIG.php


    Some solid selections you have there. The only thing I'd say is that if the Eagles draft Kenny Phillips, it'll be to replace Sean Considine. They have Quintin Mikell behind Brian Dawkins, and they like him to take over for Dawkins once he retires.
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

    Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

  • #2
    Brohm knowing the playbook doesn't give him a huge advantage, because it doesn't help in the long term. You don't draft a QB for weeks 1-4 of their rookie year. You take Woodson because he is the better player with higher upside.

    I guarantee you the Falcons don't take Brohm over Woodson.

    DeSean Jackson going ahead of McFadden? DeSean Jackson going #4 overall?

    Have you watched him play this year? You don't take a #3 WR in the NFL with the 4th pick overall. It screams of Peter Warrick-ism.

    Horrible pick there.

    #3 overall too early for King and Baker, but #4 overall isn't too early for DeSean Jackson? Makes no sense. Also, Baker doesn't fit the Rams scheme because they need a RT with Barron at LT, where he is a better fit.

    I like the Calais Campbell to the Rams pick a lot though. Seems like the player they lack on defense, but it does ignore needs a little bit...still the smartest pick with who is on the board.

    What has Harvey done this season to warrant a round 1 pick status? He has absolutely blown so far.

    Mario Manningham ahead of Kelly, Bennett, and Bowman? He won't even come out because he is too inconsistent...are you serious?

    Please explain how 2 under tackles in Dre Moore and Sedrick Ellis fit the 3-4. Horrible picks. 3-4 DEs are run stoppers like Haloti Ngata and Igor Olshansky. Not pass rushers. Makes no sense.

    I love the Talib to Baltimore pick. CB is an underrated need for them.
    I don't see how the Packers give up on Brandon Jackson so quickly, especially 3 weeks into the season.
    I like the Maualuga-Chargers pick too.
    Last edited by Matt McGuire; 09-27-2007, 01:57 AM.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

    Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

    Comment


    • #3
      Also, John David Booty rated ahead of Matt Ryan baffles me.
      2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

      Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Walter View Post
        http://walterfootball.com/draft2008_CRAIG.php


        Some solid selections you have there. The only thing I'd say is that if the Eagles draft Kenny Phillips, it'll be to replace Sean Considine. They have Quintin Mikell behind Brian Dawkins, and they like him to take over for Dawkins once he retires.
        I think we just found Scott's favorite NFL team even though he claims not to have one. Fave college team is PSU...in Pennsylvania like the Eagles...how did i not see this in the first place?
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

        Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

        Comment


        • #5
          You mean Walt's favorite NFL team? LOL

          I don't like the Eagles, I just know them better than any team because I get all their games and get to listen to Philly talk radio.
          2016 NFL Mock Draft

          Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with the Moore thing Matt brought up.

            Also, you have to remember, Matt, that DeSean Jackson is going to turn some heads at the Combine. Yeah, he's having a down year, but he'll gain that back when he runs a low 4.3 or 4.2
            2016 NFL Mock Draft

            Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Walter View Post
              I agree with the Moore thing Matt brought up.

              Also, you have to remember, Matt, that DeSean Jackson is going to turn some heads at the Combine. Yeah, he's having a down year, but he'll gain that back when he runs a low 4.3 or 4.2
              I don't think a combine can vault him into the top 8 with the talent in this draft at the top.

              If Jackson doesn't start dominating towards the last 5-6 games of the season then I can't put him in my top 10 despite his 40. I mean, if he runs this supposive 4.2 40, then where are the offensive TDs?
              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

              Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

              Comment


              • #8
                If he runs a 4.2 40, teams will take him regardless of his stats. All it takes is one GM to fall in love.
                2016 NFL Mock Draft

                Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Walter View Post
                  If he runs a 4.2 40, teams will take him regardless of his stats. All it takes is one GM to fall in love.
                  I don't think there is any way he runs below a 4.3...secondly, all the scouts knew Ted Ginn ran a 4.3 if he was healthy for the combine, and he was a bit of a reach at #9 overall.
                  2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                  Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ok here is my comments.

                    Brohm/Woodson : we have been over this more times then I can count Matt. But this is the best way I can explain my thinking is this. Woodson wont be ready to start till midway through his rookie season, at the earliest. Brohm will come in and it will be like Phillip Rivers coming in after sitting on the bench. He already knows everything about the offense he needs to start from day one, and its rare to have a rookie QB that can start day 1. The NFL is a “What have you don’t for me lately” league where most head coaches get 2 year, 3 only if they are lucky to turn a franchise around. Obviously year 1 is going to be bad for Petrino. If he takes Woodson, chances are Year 2 is bad as well, and chances are Petrino is out of a job. No fault to Woodson, he just wont be prepared enough. It is a huge upside for Brohm, ONLY with Atlanta.

                    As for Jackson and Manningham, first Manningham will come out, there is no reason to stay, Michigan has no hope of a national title next year. And watching him play week in and week out, his inconsistency is a little more to do with Ryan Mallet throwing to him and the way Chad Henne has also played this year.

                    I think Manningham puts all doubts to rest at the combine and poor QB play is the ruling factor. And I like DeSean Jackson and his upside is higher then any other receiver in this draft. He is a triple threat, he can catch, he is a severe threat on reverses and is a dangerous return man. Its not just about getting a productive receiver, its getting a dynamic offensive weapon you can build a team around.

                    And I disagree with you on Moor and Ellis. A 3-4 DE needs to do more then stop the run. He has to be able to rush the passer as well making an under tackle the perfect guy to move there. The idea behind a 3-4 is to hide the 4th rusher, you never know where he is coming from. That being said you need a big DE that can stuff the run, but he has to be able to get after the passer as well when they Linebacker is rushing from the other side. That’s why most 3-4 DE are under or right around the 300 mark, your nose tackle is a big violent guy like a Haloti Ngata who is like 330 lbs.

                    If your 3-4 DE are strictly run stuffers then how does a 1-man rush become so effective, 3-4 DE's need to do both.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great mock draft, one of the better ones I've seen. I really liked the Bears pick. I think any Bear's fan would love John David Booty.
                      Carolina Panther's GM

                      1. #17 - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
                      2. #37 - Ali Highsmith, OLB, LSU
                      2. #43 - Jonathan Hefney, FS, Tennessee
                      3. #74 - John David Booty, QB, USC
                      3. #82 - Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
                      4. #107 - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Craig Smith View Post
                        Ok here is my comments.

                        Brohm/Woodson : we have been over this more times then I can count Matt. But this is the best way I can explain my thinking is this. Woodson wont be ready to start till midway through his rookie season, at the earliest. Brohm will come in and it will be like Phillip Rivers coming in after sitting on the bench. He already knows everything about the offense he needs to start from day one, and its rare to have a rookie QB that can start day 1. The NFL is a “What have you don’t for me lately” league where most head coaches get 2 year, 3 only if they are lucky to turn a franchise around. Obviously year 1 is going to be bad for Petrino. If he takes Woodson, chances are Year 2 is bad as well, and chances are Petrino is out of a job. No fault to Woodson, he just wont be prepared enough. It is a huge upside for Brohm, ONLY with Atlanta.

                        As for Jackson and Manningham, first Manningham will come out, there is no reason to stay, Michigan has no hope of a national title next year. And watching him play week in and week out, his inconsistency is a little more to do with Ryan Mallet throwing to him and the way Chad Henne has also played this year.

                        I think Manningham puts all doubts to rest at the combine and poor QB play is the ruling factor. And I like DeSean Jackson and his upside is higher then any other receiver in this draft. He is a triple threat, he can catch, he is a severe threat on reverses and is a dangerous return man. Its not just about getting a productive receiver, its getting a dynamic offensive weapon you can build a team around.

                        And I disagree with you on Moor and Ellis. A 3-4 DE needs to do more then stop the run. He has to be able to rush the passer as well making an under tackle the perfect guy to move there. The idea behind a 3-4 is to hide the 4th rusher, you never know where he is coming from. That being said you need a big DE that can stuff the run, but he has to be able to get after the passer as well when they Linebacker is rushing from the other side. That’s why most 3-4 DE are under or right around the 300 mark, your nose tackle is a big violent guy like a Haloti Ngata who is like 330 lbs.

                        If your 3-4 DE are strictly run stuffers then how does a 1-man rush become so effective, 3-4 DE's need to do both.
                        On 3-4 DEs, you are very very wrong. 3-4 DEs are not under tackles. Look at all the 3-4 team, they don't have UTs at DE. Sedrick Ellis, Luis Castillo, Haloti Ngata (he doesn't play NT so obviously have no clue what you are talking about), none of those guys are consistent pass rushers. You can't have your 3-4 DE get overwhelmed vs. the run like a Moore and Ellis would at that position.

                        No reason for Manningham to stay? Great WR class coming out, and he isn't even playing like a top 10 WR. Maybe if you weren't so concerned about sticking to your first mock draft maybe we could see if you learn anything throughout the football season...you pretty much have the same players in your first round as you did 3 months ago and I wonder if you really ever watch football...you just shuffle the players with the teams in your mock and I don't see the football analyst when it is the same thing every time. Maualuga always mid-late. Harvey's always in the same spot. Manningham's always in the same spot. You've always had Oher in your lower first round. Just looks the same.

                        Even when Manningham had Henne in his first two games, he didn't show good route running or and he dropped easy balls.

                        We all said Leinart would be ready to go as a rookie, and it wasn't the case. We all said it would take Vince Young a year or two or three (including me) and it wasn't the case.

                        Also, I don't see the upside in sending a rookie out there to get batized by fire especially with a weak Atlanta team.

                        Chances are if he takes Woodson year 2 will be bad? As opposed to Brohm? and Petrino will be gone?

                        No clue what you are talking about. How bad the Falcons will be in 2009 has nothing to do with Brohm or Woodson really and more to do with the talent around them. Also, you don't fire a coach after two seasons unless he is like a Steve Spurrier or Nick Saban and showing no improvement. Petrino is a different kind of coach and I like his play calling and offense. Reminds me of Cam Cameron.
                        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                        Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Great mock draft, one of the better ones I've seen. I really liked the Bears pick. I think any Bear's fan would love John David Booty.
                          What about it was so good just out of curiousity? Does anyone have Glenn Dorsey falling out of the top 6 LMFAO.

                          I mean, he is playing like one of the best DT prospects of all time and he has him going #9 overall...unbelieveable.

                          He even claims to have him #3 on his big board but has him falling ot #9. Doesn't make sense. How do the Bills pass up on Glenn Dorsey with a big neet at DT, and then you don't have DeSean Jackson rated higher than Dorsey. PLEASE EXPLAIN
                          Last edited by Matt McGuire; 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM.
                          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                          Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            What about it was so good just out of curiousity? Does anyone have Glenn Dorsey falling out of the top 6 LMFAO.

                            I mean, he is playing like one of the best DT prospects of all time and he has him going #9 overall...unbelieveable.

                            He even claims to have him #3 on his big board but has him falling ot #9. Doesn't make sense. How do the Bills pass up on Glenn Dorsey with a big neet at DT, and then you don't have DeSean Jackson rated higher than Dorsey. PLEASE EXPLAIN
                            I am sorry i didnt know teams drafted players based on my Bigboard.

                            Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            On 3-4 DEs, you are very very wrong. 3-4 DEs are not under tackles. Look at all the 3-4 team, they don't have UTs at DE. Sedrick Ellis, Luis Castillo, Haloti Ngata (he doesn't play NT so obviously have no clue what you are talking about), none of those guys are consistent pass rushers. You can't have your 3-4 DE get overwhelmed vs. the run like a Moore and Ellis would at that position.
                            Ok I am wrong, your calling Haloti Ngata, who is almost 350lbs a friggin under tackle? Seriously man come on. Luis Castillo doesn’t get consistant pressure? The guy recorded 8 sacks last season as a DE in a 3-4 scheme, how is that not consistant pressure?

                            Others to do it, Ty Warren (7.5), Brad Keisel (5.5) Aaron Smith (4.5), Bryant Young (5.5). And look at the nose tackle these guys play next to. All of them are 320+lbs, and you want to put a Sedrick Ellis in that role?

                            In a traditional 4-3l, like Baltimore is running, both DT’s are nose tackles. But for arguments sake, a 4-3 Nose Tackle’s job is to occupy the Center and a Guard (generally the Left Guard since he is helping cover the QB’s blind side). This allows the smaller and quicker UT to be 1-1 with the other guard and the DE’s to be 1-1 with the Tackles.

                            Ok now lets spell it out for you.
                            Baltimore starts Kelly Gregg (310lbs, 3 sacks a year ago) and Haloti Ngata (340, 1 sack a year ago). I wonder which one of these two is going to be eating up the double teams?

                            Now go back to all these 3-4 teams and look at their defensive ends, all are athletic guys right around 300lbs, most of them slightly below it. And now comes the biggest irony. Your worried a natural DT, whose main job is to stop the run, is going to get overwhelmed by the run.

                            You can say you wonder if I even watch football all you want, sometimes I wonder if you pay attention to anything other then how good you think Andre Woodson looks in his Blue UofK Uniform…

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                              What about it was so good just out of curiousity? Does anyone have Glenn Dorsey falling out of the top 6 LMFAO.

                              I mean, he is playing like one of the best DT prospects of all time and he has him going #9 overall...unbelieveable.

                              He even claims to have him #3 on his big board but has him falling ot #9. Doesn't make sense. How do the Bills pass up on Glenn Dorsey with a big neet at DT, and then you don't have DeSean Jackson rated higher than Dorsey. PLEASE EXPLAIN
                              I am sorry i didnt know teams drafted players based on my Bigboard.
                              Isnt irony great, you have Sam Baker in your top 5 and not Jake Long, but you have Jake Long going before Baker...

                              Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                              On 3-4 DEs, you are very very wrong. 3-4 DEs are not under tackles. Look at all the 3-4 team, they don't have UTs at DE. Sedrick Ellis, Luis Castillo, Haloti Ngata (he doesn't play NT so obviously have no clue what you are talking about), none of those guys are consistent pass rushers. You can't have your 3-4 DE get overwhelmed vs. the run like a Moore and Ellis would at that position.
                              Ok I am wrong, your calling Haloti Ngata, who is almost 350lbs a friggin under tackle? Seriously man come on. Luis Castillo doesn’t get consistant pressure? The guy recorded 8 sacks last season as a DE in a 3-4 scheme, how is that not consistant pressure?

                              Others to do it, Ty Warren (7.5), Brad Keisel (5.5) Aaron Smith (4.5), Bryant Young (5.5). And look at the nose tackle these guys play next to. All of them are 320+lbs, and you want to put a Sedrick Ellis in that role?

                              In a traditional 4-3l, like Baltimore is running, both DT’s are nose tackles. But for arguments sake, a 4-3 Nose Tackle’s job is to occupy the Center and a Guard (generally the Left Guard since he is helping cover the QB’s blind side). This allows the smaller and quicker UT to be 1-1 with the other guard and the DE’s to be 1-1 with the Tackles.

                              Ok now lets spell it out for you.
                              Baltimore starts Kelly Gregg (310lbs, 3 sacks a year ago) and Haloti Ngata (340, 1 sack a year ago). I wonder which one of these two is going to be eating up the double teams?

                              Now go back to all these 3-4 teams and look at their defensive ends, all are athletic guys right around 300lbs, most of them slightly below it. And now comes the biggest irony. Your worried a natural DT, whose main job is to stop the run, is going to get overwhelmed by the run.

                              You can say you wonder if I even watch football all you want, sometimes I wonder if you pay attention to anything other then how good you think Andre Woodson looks in his Blue UofK Uniform…

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X