Lions targeted Leon Hall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lions targeted Leon Hall?

Can you please confirm this Craig? Where did you get this insider knowledge?

They tried to trade out of the #2 pick...yes, with Tampa Bay. They wanted the Bucs 2 2nd round picks and Tampa wouldn't give them up.

Just wondering how you know they were targeting Leon Hall when there was no possiblitiy of them dropping down to mid-first round by trading the #2 pick....no way and no team would be that dump to give up their entire draft and more just to get Calvin Johnson to jump 10 spots or so in the draft order.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

No when they were going to trade down with Tampa they were going to take Gaines Adams, but if they traded down with San Francisco at what i think #11 where they planned on taking Hall.

It was reported many times by Lions Insider Tom Kowlokowski of MLive who breaks most news regarding the Lions

Comment

Wow thats really interesting...would have made for even more drama on draft day.

If the 9ers planned on trading up to that 4 spot and the Lions traded down twice, who did they plan on taking?

Also, if the Lions traded down, I highly doubt they pass up on Adams at 4. Marinelli loved him and they were close to taking him at #2 overall.

Comment

The Lions planned on taking Calvin at #2 no matter what anyone said about Gaines Adams if they could not trade down. Gaines Adams was a slight long shot even at #4 because of how much salary cap they already had tied up in their defensive line, with Dewayne White’s contract, Kalimba Edwards Contract, Shaun Rogers contract and Cory Redding being franchised. It was something like 30% of their salary cap was invested in their projected starters already. Add on Gaines Adams contract and that number probably ends up closer to 40%.

But at #4 they were torn between LaRon Landry and Gaines Adams

They had serious trade talks with Atlanta and San Francisco, where they had LaRon Landry number 1, but didn’t think he would be there, and Leon Hall number#2 and Patrick Willis #3.

By the way Atlanta did offer Detroit its 1st,2nd, both 3rds and a 2nd in 08 to move up for Calvin Johnson. Detroit rejected and countered with 1st, both 2nds, 3rd and next years 2nd. Atlanta rejected and trade talks ended.

Denver also made some ridiculous offer, I forget exactly what it was but something like their first 5 picks and Al Wilson. Ironic that after the draft we find out Al Wilson’s neck injury was career ending after they tried to trade him.

Comment

Probaby a good move turning down that Atlanta offer and countering.

You made a great great point in how much money would have been tied up in their DL. I think you are right, maybe they pull the shocker if they trade down and take Landry, which still would have been a very smart pick.

Comment

Although if they did draft Gaines Adams it might have stopped them from making the retarded move a giving Cory Redding a contract so ridiculous that he is now the highest paid DT in the NFL...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Smith View Post
              Although if they did draft Gaines Adams it might have stopped them from making the retarded move a giving Cory Redding a contract so ridiculous that he is now the highest paid DT in the NFL...
              True...didn't know if they signed Redding before or after the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                True...didn't know if they signed Redding before or after the draft.
                It was after the draft but he was already guarenteed over 7 million for 07-08 season alone just be being franchised...

Comment

Craig:

If you are the Lions on GM on draft day, what are your moves on draft day if any, and what do you do with Redding?

Comment

First things first if anything i putthe transistion tag on him instead of the franchise tag. And i see where the draft goes.

I would have probably seriously considered Atlanta's offer. But i would have still wanted all their first day picks this year, and i could care less about their 08 second rounder.

Had i made the trrade down i would have probably passed on Leon Hall (remember LaRon Landry is gone) and drafted Patrick Willis.
                    Round 2 i would have proably took Justin Blalock with my first second rounder
                    Chirs Houston would have been my second 2nd rounder and Drew Stanton would have been my 3rd.

Then had i moved back up into the secodn roundtwice like Detroit did i would have most likely taken Dan Bauzin over Alam-Francis and probably and Quinten Moses with the last one (unlessAlama Francis was still available there then i would have taken him.

Thats probably a little confusing

Comment

Working...
                    X