• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Take on the Jake Long Lowball Contract Offer

First six paragraphs under the Dolphins pick:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

they aren't taking vernon gholston #1. Not a chance.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Walter, I think you're missing a major point in this.

If the Dolphins were to offer a lowball contract to another player and he signs it, then it also lower the contract offers that other teams make. After all, it makes no sense for the 2nd overall pick to sign for more than 1st overall pick money. So, by passing up on the Dolphins offer, Long is hoping that nobody else signs a lowball offer as well.

Gholston is a great target because he has the most to lose by not signing a contract with the Dolphins for the first overall pick. I think negotiating with Gholston is a front to pressure Long into signing though.

Rorshach's Journal

Comment

SuperUperBob is on the money. Gholston has the most to gain out of the 3, simply b/c he could become the pick by default.

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
          SuperUperBob is on the money. Gholston has the most to gain out of the 3, simply b/c he could become the pick by default.
          lol pick by default? Are you kidding me? You make a #1 pick based on "default"?

Comment

If your other guys want too much money, it wouldn't surprise me. Besides, all three are amazing players, and they can't really go wrong.

Comment

If your other guys want too much money, it wouldn't surprise me. Besides, all three are amazing players, and they can't really go wrong.
              If you don't take the #1 player on your draft board, you can go wrong.

And I'd hardly call this draft class filled with amazing players. A few elite guys but nothing special overall (unlike last year with elite talent).

Comment

Not filled with amazing players, but there are a couple, and all 3 of these guys should be great NFL players.

Comment

Gholston...he could become the pick by default.
                  I don't think this is true.

There is absolutely no way the Dolphins sign Gholston. It's just a move to pressure Jake or Chris Long to sign.

None of this stuff is going to work if their agents (Jake and Vernon share the same agent iirc) are smart. They'll get more money by negotiating after the selection.

Rorshach's Journal

Comment

Jamarcus Russell's agent didn't buy into it, and neither will Chris Long's agent...but he could be a little scared they might sign Jake.

Comment

If the Dolphin’s pick one player over another because one takes less money, you would hope the grades were basically the same. Chris Long has been a millionaire is whole life so I think Chris will give them a break if someone does. Howie and Chris may feel Miami is the best situation right now long term over St. Louis, Atlanta, or Oakland. It’s hard to believe someone would take less money but I can see it happening with Chris.

Comment

Does anyone find it very odd that there is no communication at all between Chris Long and the Dolphins?

Am I crazy to think they have him #1 on their draft board because I think they are totally bluffing here?

Gonna be a ****ing great two weeks. I'm going into complete hibernation if Jake Long is the #1 pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                          Does anyone find it very odd that there is no communication at all between Chris Long and the Dolphins?

Am I crazy to think they have him #1 on their draft board because I think they are totally bluffing here?

Gonna be a ****ing great two weeks. I'm going into complete hibernation if Jake Long is the #1 pick.
                          LOL I'ma hold you to it.
                          WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                          Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

It seems to me the top pick of most years is offered less than a qb that went 1st the year before.

The deadline isn't that strange. It's possible that they may have the same offer to Chris Long, but it hasn't been leaked by his agent or people. Similar to the Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario.
                            2008 Cincinnati Bengals GM
                            2009 Baltimore Ravens GM
                            1 (26) WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
                            2 (57) DT Fili Moala, USC
                            3 (77) CB Kevin Barnes, Maryland
                            5 (152) OT Jason Watkins, Florida
                            6 (188) RB Arian Foster, Tennessee
                            6 (199) TE Richard Quinn, North Carolina
                            7 (220) FB William Rentmeester, Wisconsin
                            7 (226) WR Tommy Breaux, Towson
                            7 (227) LB Dan Skuta, Grand Valley State
                            7 (234) QB Mike Teel, Rutgers
                            2009 Jacksonville Jaguars GM
                            1 (8) Michael Oher OT Ole Miss - group pick
                            2 (39) Percy Harvin WR Florida - group pick
                            3 (72) Dorrell Scott DT Clemson
                            4 (107) Trevor Canfield G Cincinnati
                            5 (144) Javon Ringer RB Michigan State
                            6 (180) Greg Toler CB Saint Paul's College
                            7 (250) Jeremy Navarre DE Maryland
                            7 (253) Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by thetechnocrat View Post
                              It seems to me the top pick of most years is offered less than a qb that went 1st the year before.

The deadline isn't that strange. It's possible that they may have the same offer to Chris Long, but it hasn't been leaked by his agent or people. Similar to the Reggie Bush/Mario Williams scenario.
                              True...I keep forgetting the Williams hype didn't start until 3-4 days before the draft. I remember the Michael Smith article (he owns).

Comment

Working...
                              X