X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt McGuire's 2008 NFL Mock Draft - Updated 4/16

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008matt.php
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

Pretty extreme draft.

I mean, I don't see any way Jake Long gets past #3. The Atlanta Falcons need OL help in a bad way, especially if they plan to draft a QB in the second round.

Personally, I think Matt Ryan has better value at #17. But most QBs are reach picks early in the draft and Matt Ryan will be no exception. I just cannot see the Ravens passing on him (no pun intended).

The Saints are in a rough spot since anybody they wanted (DRC, McKelvin, Rivers) is gone. Balmer is a huge reach and I think they can get better value out of a DT in the 2nd round. I think that Mike Jenkins or even Jerod Mayo will have more value in the top 10 than Balmer.

I believe Merling is a reach at #13 and that the Panthers will have a hard time passing on Ryan Clady, who is arguably the second best offensive tackle in the draft. They need the OL help more than the DL help.

Most of the other picks are very interesting ones. I question picking Lawrence Jackson though. Ted Thompson is a BPA type of GM and I don't think Jackson is BPA at #30.

Still solid work though. Nice to see a change

Rorshach's Journal

Comment

I dont like the Balmer to the Saints pick. I think if DRC, McKelvin, and Rivers are gone they will look at Phillphs or Jenkins.

Comment

Way to mess up a great round 1 by adding your Woodson crap. C-
        Chi-Towns Finest!

Comment

I was not impressed by this mock. Your last one was much better. Balmer pick is too much of a reach, and ATL taking Sedrick Ellis is a huge mistake. I won't talk about the Brandon Albert pick, you should know how I feel about him. Green Bay pick was a reach, they need a corner more anyway, since Charles Woodson and Al Harris will die at some point during the next season from old age.

Comment

I like the Texans pick :P

I think Ryan #17 probably will not happen but I think it would probably be about right, I don't think he is going to be an "elite" or "franchise" quarterback at the next level. Bold picks in the top 10 with Jake Long falling O.o

Comment

I liked this one. It was a refreshing change of pace from one's I've been seeing recently. I also like the reaches and the reasonable explanations.

My only beef with the Jets pick is Earl Bennett in round 2. They have Cotchery and an aging Coles. Those are 2 pretty good possession WRs why add a 3rd when a better impact player could be added at #36. The only WR i see them taking there is Hardy if he falls, maybe Sweed.
              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I am going to start with the Packers' draft

1. DE Lawrence Jackson : If the Packers are going to address DE early it will be to add a pass rusher and Jackson certainly does not fill that billing.

2a. CB Charles Godfrey : I can accept this pick because Harris and Woodson are aging and the team needs to get someone for the future. Godfrey fits their system pretty good

2b. DT Red Bryant : Not a good choice at all. With Pickett, Jolly, Cole, Harrell, and Muir in the mix there is no reason to bring in another DT this early. Cullen Jenkins can play DT as well.

3. OT Oniel Cousins : Good choice seeing as the Packers may need someone in the near future to replace Clifton and he fits the ZBS

Comment

Nice change up, werent we just talking about mcshay making picks for entertainment purposes...then this comes up..hmmm.....

No way Ryan gets past ATL/BAL/CAR/CHI to fall to MN.

Nice to see a replay of the Jonathan Sullivan pick to the Saints, they like taking 2nd rd prospects in the top 10

Nate Newton's business will flourish with Talib in Dal

In what alternate universe will you be in when the Bears dont take a RB out of this class in the 1st 3 rounds?
                  Last edited by Drumsteroo; 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM.
                  Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

Absolutely hated the Brandon Flowers pick to Pittsburgh with Jeff Otah on the board.

Other than that (at least the first round) this is my favorite mock of yours bar-none. I don't think Jake Long falling to 5 is a huge shocker. Balmer fills a big need. Saints will probably try and trade down if they want him, but if they can't find a trade partner I could see that trade happening. I think it's funny how you've slapped a reach on NO (Balmer now, Kenny Phillips before).

I don't see as many reaches as people think... just different picks.

Comment

Nice Mock. Matt Ryan Falling is very real and Brandon Albert in the Denver ZBS would be painful for oponents. Denver having an average line is a great running team and having him on that line would take that line from good to great.
                      If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                      Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by vbsiena24 View Post
                        I liked this one. It was a refreshing change of pace from one's I've been seeing recently. I also like the reaches and the reasonable explanations.

My only beef with the Jets pick is Earl Bennett in round 2. They have Cotchery and an aging Coles. Those are 2 pretty good possession WRs why add a 3rd when a better impact player could be added at #36. The only WR i see them taking there is Hardy if he falls, maybe Sweed.
                        I had Bennett in my last mock to the Jets.

Ryan fell to 17 in my last mock.

Jake Long fell to 5 in my last mock.

Not much changed.

If you didn't like my Balmer pick, then you should have knocked my Saints draft analysis with the #10 draft range.
                        Last edited by Matt McGuire; 04-16-2008, 11:56 AM.
                        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumsteroo View Post
                          No way Ryan gets past ATL/BAL/CAR/CHI to fall to MN.
                          Those who don't learn from history don't understand the future. Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers, this is a very real possibilitiy for Matt Ryan.

Chicago has a TON of needs and Carolina doesn't need a QB. #3 is too high for Ryan.

So the only teams I see taking Ryan are Baltimore, Chicago, Minnesota, and Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                            Those who don't learn from history don't understand the future. Brady Quinn, Aaron Rodgers, this is a very real possibilitiy for Matt Ryan.

Chicago has a TON of needs and Carolina doesn't need a QB. #3 is too high for Ryan.

So the only teams I see taking Ryan are Baltimore, Chicago, Minnesota, and Tampa.
                            They were the 2nd QB taken in the draft. Whats the lowest the top rated QB has gotten picked? #3 may be too high, but ATL has a ton of picks and does need a QB. Baltimore is very likely for Ryan if he gets past 3, and Chicago has a ton of needs, true, but if they cant trade out, why wouldnt they take the best QB available? How doesnt CAR need a QB? matt moore, wow, im sure brady is worried about his records falling, and Delhomme is not gettin any younger and his stats have declined along with his health.
                            Bears offseason wish list:

Jay Cutler, I am good, for now.

Comment

If Carolina passed on Brady Quinn because they had David Carr (which I thought was a huge mistake) then I think they like Matt Moore (he played well at the end of the season) and they are going to see what happens. Carolina has other needs at OT, DT, DE, RB, and S. I don't think they take Ryan.

They were the 2nd QB taken in the draft, but this draft doesn't have a major need for QBs like 2005 and 2007.

Comment

Working...
                              X