Looking back a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back a little

I just looked through my Street & Smith NFL guide from last year last night and given the fact that the players the Giants drafted last year contributed greatly in their Super Bowl run it was kind of funny to see that their draft was given the mark D....
    Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Most draft mags suck
    Walter got PWN3D
    Rams GM

Picks
    2. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
    33.Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue
    65.Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame
    101.Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami
    137.Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
    168.Maurice Purify-WR-Nebraska
    180.Justin Forsett-RB-Cal

Comment

Agreed. Many of them claim that they are used by NFL teams, but why would NFL teams use them? That must be why Miami took Ted Ginn number nine.

Comment

I like looking back at some of Walter's draft grades, "LOFA TATUPU ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HE'S A 4th ROUNDER AT BEST"

Comment

just shows how much we know... we have no clue. and to give a draft grade before a player has played a few seasons... it's almost as if you're assuming there will be no busts or surprises.

but it is fun to speculate on :-)
          NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

There's a great little write up in Sports Illustrated this week about Mock Drafts. They had one thing that had me rolling that went something like this...

"Most Mock Drafts are done by NFL Beat Writers who saw 2 Notre Dame games at Airport Bars and the 2nd half of The Fiesta Bowl last year. They wouldn't know who Chris Long was if they were stuck in an elevator with him."

It really is very true.

Comment

Originally posted by yem123 View Post
              just shows how much we know... we have no clue. and to give a draft grade before a player has played a few seasons... it's almost as if you're assuming there will be no busts or surprises.

but it is fun to speculate on :-)

I've always said that no draft should be graded until 5 years after it happens. By then, andbody who is going to develop into a quality player has done so, and most busts are out of the league. For example, for the last several years, people were saying what a horrible trade the Giants made to draft Eli in 2004. Now when looked at in 2009, it would definitely seem worthwhile.

Comment

Well hell Bluto it's no fun to make an *ss out of yourself if five years from now.
                If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
                Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluto View Post
                  There's a great little write up in Sports Illustrated this week about Mock Drafts. They had one thing that had me rolling that went something like this...

"Most Mock Drafts are done by NFL Beat Writers who saw 2 Notre Dame games at Airport Bars and the 2nd half of The Fiesta Bowl last year. They wouldn't know who Chris Long was if they were stuck in an elevator with him."

It really is very true.
                  LOL I read that yesterday. They also said something that most mock drafts get their info from other mock drafts, which is why everyone had Brady Quinn going in t he top 5 last year
                  NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                    I like looking back at some of Walter's draft grades, "LOFA TATUPU ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HE'S A 4th ROUNDER AT BEST"
                    I looked through a year of Walter evaluations and he's right almost 3:1. He projected Dave Koppen in the 6th to be a great pick for the Patriots (and it was). He also called Witten a great pick in the 3rd. Said TE Mike Seidman and S Colin Branch will not pan out for the Panthers. He criticized the Jimmy Kennedy pick by the Rams, and had near perfect evaluations of the Falcons and Bears drafts.

Walter has also sounded pretty stupid at time with, I do not like fourth rounder CB Asante Samuel, I think Carson Palmer will be a bust, Obviously, Charles Rogers will give Joey Harrington a great target for the next decade, and when he called Osi Umenyiora a dud, but like I said Walters evaluations are accurate almost 3:1.

I did a write up of his 2003 draft, and I'll send it to him when he re-visits old draft classes after the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by yem123 View Post
                      LOL I read that yesterday. They also said something that most mock drafts get their info from other mock drafts, which is why everyone had Brady Quinn going in t he top 5 last year
                      That is true. Its like how Walter put Gholston #2, and everyone copied him. Or when McFraud stole from Mayock.

Comment

Originally posted by candyman82 View Post
                        Most draft mags suck
                        It wasn't their draft mag but their "season guide" or whatever they call it.
                        Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Interesting stuff from Dan Patrick, and I agree with everything he says regarding mock drafts. But Walter and I seperate ourselves from the pack for the reasons Patrick mentions below in the latest SI:

1. Half are put together by NFL writers who watched two Notre Dame games at the airport bar and the second half of hte Sugar Bowl who wouldn't recognize Chris Long if they were stuck in an elevator with him.

2. Among the chief sources of information for these mock drafs: NFL general managers, who are lying and agents, who are lying even more.

3. An ever bigger source of information: other people's mock drafts. This is how everone ends up in certain agreement that Brady Quinn will be taken in the top five.

EDIT: Bluto I didn't see your post until after I posted this lol
                          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Working...
                          X