Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt McGuire's Pre-Draft Analysis: Pittsburgh Steelers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Matt McGuire's Pre-Draft Analysis: Pittsburgh Steelers

    http://walterfootball.com/mattpredraftpit.php
    2016 NFL Mock Draft

    Sales Tips, Sales Techniques, Sales Planning and Sales Blogs to Increase Sales Commissions

  • #2
    No matter what happens, the Steelers have to draft offensive line in the first round.

    BTW, I don't see Derrick Harvey because Lamarr Woodley can play DE.

    Comment


    • #3
      Plug for Cason, he's also faster than Flowers is. He's still not an elite speed corner, but his long speed (Which is average) is his only weak point, as far as I see it.

      I like the idea that Derrick Harvey would go to the Steelers, but how the hell would they get him? Do you have a potential trade idea there? Harvey won't fall to them unless Tomlin slips roofies in the drinks of every single war room team from the Bengals on down.

      And Matt Forte being compared to Brandon Jacobs? I'll agree that both have a similar smash-mouth, "Tire out a defense" running style, but Forte trades 3 inches of height and about 30-35 pounds for his increased athleticism. I'm not sure if Jacobs is the best guy to compare him too. Hell, I don't know who would compare to Jacobs. Are there any other 240 pound half backs?
      - Also known as Dan.
      - Also known as the footballclod, where I do my own fantasy football and other football related stuff. -> www.footballclod.wordpress.com

      Comment


      • #4
        I mean it was hard for me to compare Forte to anyone in the NFL off the top of my head, but his style of play I thought compared to Jacobs.
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

        Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
          No matter what happens, the Steelers have to draft offensive line in the first round.

          BTW, I don't see Derrick Harvey because Lamarr Woodley can play DE.
          I don't like the menality that a team HAS to draft one position in the first round. I think it is very narrow minded and illogical.

          OL is the biggest need, but hey the Saints drafted offense in the first round last year, and teams sometimes draft a "secondary" need in the first round because of the value that prospect presents.
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

          Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
            I mean it was hard for me to compare Forte to anyone in the NFL off the top of my head, but his style of play I thought compared to Jacobs.
            No, he moves faster then a snail, so he's not Jacobs. Forte reminds me of The Bus.

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree, no offensive lineman. I also agree about Talib. I would take him mid round 2.
              If you like quality gaming, conversation, and crazy antics of Chunder, the live stream of Chunderfluff, live, on Twitch.com. Come join the fun at http://www.twitch.tv/chunderfluff#/w...rce=20121004en

              Kermit The Frog + Miss Piggy = Yoda
              Moral of this story: USE CONDOMS KIDS! NEVER KNOW WHAT WEIRD LITTLE JEDI MIGHT POP OUT IF YOU DON'T!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                I don't like the menality that a team HAS to draft one position in the first round. I think it is very narrow minded and illogical.

                OL is the biggest need, but hey the Saints drafted offense in the first round last year, and teams sometimes draft a "secondary" need in the first round because of the value that prospect presents.
                That worked out real well for the Saints too. How about the Steelers have to go O-Line in the first if they want to stay contenders?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                  No matter what happens, the Steelers have to draft offensive line in the first round.

                  BTW, I don't see Derrick Harvey because Lamarr Woodley can play DE.
                  Woodley is far too light to play DE in the Steelers' 3-4.

                  All starting grade DE's in LeBeau's Defense are in the 290-300 lb range.

                  Woodley was brought in to be the prototypical Steeler 3-4 LB - who's job is to get to the QB, while the DE's tie up the OL.
                  sigpic

                  ------------------------------------------------
                  Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

                  ''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

                  ''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

                  - NYTimes, July 20, 2000

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tomlin might not keep the 3-4. He's talked about playing cover 2.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TrojanSteelerBear View Post
                      Woodley is far too light to play DE in the Steelers' 3-4.

                      All starting grade DE's in LeBeau's Defense are in the 290-300 lb range.

                      Woodley was brought in to be the prototypical Steeler 3-4 LB - who's job is to get to the QB, while the DE's tie up the OL.
                      No I understand. It seems like they may be switching to a cover-2. So he would play end in the 4-3 version.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                        I don't like the menality that a team HAS to draft one position in the first round. I think it is very narrow minded and illogical.

                        OL is the biggest need, but hey the Saints drafted offense in the first round last year, and teams sometimes draft a "secondary" need in the first round because of the value that prospect presents.
                        I think it's like the Cardinal's last year where offensive line was a glaring need and they needed to reach. Steeler fans are the only ones who see Justin Hartwig as a great signing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                          I think it's like the Cardinal's last year where offensive line was a glaring need and they needed to reach. Steeler fans are the only ones who see Justin Hartwig as a great signing.
                          It was a glaring need, but Levi Brown was also an extremely good prospect. They could have easily went with Adrian Peterson or LaRon Landry there as well.
                          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

                          Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                            No I understand. It seems like they may be switching to a cover-2. So he would play end in the 4-3 version.
                            I understand all the talk about Tomlin converting us to the 4-3, given his past success, but it's hard to improve upon Dick LeBeau's schemes.

                            At least, that's what these quotes from Tomlinin the Pittsburgh Trib-Rev seem to indicate:

                            Tomlin made it clear this week that he is not changing direction in regard to the way the Steelers play defense, no matter what signals he sends out that suggest otherwise. Those include the recent meeting with McFarland, who always has played in a 4-3 defense, and they even can be tracked back to last year with the drafting of Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley.

                            The Steelers selected Timmons in the first round with the idea that he could play either inside or outside linebacker (the team has moved him inside after he spent the 2007 season backing up outside linebacker James Harrison). They also took Woodley, who played defensive end at the University of Michigan, in the second round and converted him to outside linebacker.

                            "We've got a great deal of continuity in terms of (the 3-4). We play great defense. It's not broke, so why fix it?" Tomlin said. "To me, part of good coaching is doing what your guys do well and putting them in position to be successful.
                            From the Trib-Rev, April 3, 2008.
                            sigpic

                            ------------------------------------------------
                            Ray Lewis has suffered enough, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue of the National Football League said in a conference call yesterday in explaining why he did not suspend the All-Pro linebacker who pleaded guilty to obstructing justice in a murder case.

                            ''It's the courts who have the primary responsibility in this case,'' Tagliabue said. ''We're not a substitute for the courts.''

                            ''The offense was a misdemeanor; he had no problems before that and hadn't violated league policies,'' Tagliabue said of Lewis's guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice in a deal with Atlanta prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against the Ravens star.

                            - NYTimes, July 20, 2000

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TrojanSteelerBear View Post
                              I understand all the talk about Tomlin converting us to the 4-3, given his past success, but it's hard to improve upon Dick LeBeau's schemes.

                              At least, that's what these quotes from Tomlinin the Pittsburgh Trib-Rev seem to indicate:



                              From the Trib-Rev, April 3, 2008.
                              Dick LeBeau's 1st concern should be finding a safety who can cover K2 down the seem.
                              Browns fan since 1961.....(semper-fi)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X