awesome novel about the nfl draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awesome novel about the nfl draft

Wanted to tell you all about a cool book I just read… it is called “The Draft” by Wil Mara. Not sure if he is related to the Maras who own the Giants, but he might be. Anyway, it was a really good fiction novel about the draft… using some real names of players and teams etc but still fiction. All about the intrigue and pre-draft dealing that goes on amongst the GMs and owners in the weeks leading up to the draft. The author had interviews with a ton of guys from the NFL, most notably Bill Parcells, and from those he constructed a story of what its really like in the front offices and for draftees and veterans etc. a lot of NFL GMs read this and said it was pretty realistic. Really cool story… I finished it in 2 days, it was one of those books you have a hard time putting down. Strongly recommended to this crowd. It was like $8 in paperback at Borders. Just published in 2006.
    NY Giants fan since birth.

I had a few problems with the book.

A) The way the plot would turn out was obvious about halfway into the book.

and

B) What really was annoying was the fact that he choose the Ravens as the team in the book and then made up a lot of players and personel for them. This may be due to the fact that I read "Next man up", which follows the ravens during one year, just before i read "the Draft".

And yes, there are two books by different authors called the draft...
    Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

yeah that's true, it was pretty obvious how it would end up... but i liked it anyway. sometimes that happens in movies, you figure out what's going to happen, but you are enjoying it so you watch till the end.

would have been cool if it were real players but there is no way that would happen unless it was about some draft 15 years ago.
      NY Giants fan since birth.

Comment

Working...
      X